Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailing without a cover - Stress on Interior

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
scorban2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scorban2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailing without a cover - Stress on Interior
    Posted: October-17-2017 at 3:31pm
Hello,

I've grown up boating my entire life (I/o's), and recently purchased a 97 Ski Nautique as I was looking for a true ski boat. We've always pulled our boats around without covers, as to avoid them flying off and/or damaging the boat from flapping around. When I first pulled my new to me SN home from MN, I noticed the vinyl on the side of the doghouse and the corner of the rear seat flapping a bit in the wind (75-80 mph). I've put quite a few miles on the trailer since then heading to the lake and river (previous owner towed 70 mi/year), and swear that the flapping of the vinyl is getting worse. I'm paranoid that I'm stretching the vinyl and putting unnecessary stress on the stitching by towing without a cover. Do any of you notice this? I can see inside of the SN way more than I could the I/O's, so maybe I'm just actually noticing this phenomenon?

I'm considering getting a trailerable cover (Evolution, Coversports, etc) for next season to help with this issue, but don't want to spend the money on that kind of a cover if there's no good reason to. The boat stays in a heated shop otherwise, so the cover I got with it is sufficient for storage.

Stephen
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 3:41pm
I always cover my boat when on a trailer. But, I make lots of trips with my boat for up north skiing and city lake skiing. My reason for the cover is to keep road grim off the boat. I did have a corner come loose once recently and now I have a gray spot rubbed into the white gel-coat. My fault on the cover strap.

Guess if I got a second SN I'd solve two problems!   
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2017 at 3:41pm
Stephan, welcome to the site.....
While I've never seen the vinyl actually flapping on a doghouse, I guess it can if youre seeing it. I'd find out why its happening and fix the issue. I've never towed with a cover and never worried or seen damage to any of my boats interiors due to "coverless" towing...
A good, trailerable cover will cost way more than getting the vinyl tightened up on the doghouse I would think.... ???

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 6:46pm
I agree with Mojo on this... have an interior shop fix the vinyl now, and again if it needs it in a few years.   I think you'd be money ahead over the cover, and for the damage that the cover will do if it does get loose or flap in the breeze.   Interiors, while not cheap, are a wear item, and over time, will need replacement . This happens whether you use them or not, they just dry out and crack after a while.   
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 6:54pm
This is the first I've heard of flapping vinyl. How about some pictures.

I have seen plenty of damage due to towing WITH covers though.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 7:03pm
Maybe you should slow down

Maybe you should keep both eyes on the road instead of going 80 with one eye looking at flapping upholstery

Maybe if you cover it all with 200 mph duct tape it won't flap around either
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 7:25pm
I have seen my Mustangs motorbox cover balloon,much like a Jeeps soft top does. When your traveling with it a long ways it bothers me too. I have webbing left over from the cover that I tied to the engine then close the lid and tie to the lift handle. seems to help and at least makes me feel like I did all I could.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic