Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1992 Nautique Excel. Leaking transmission.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FootFever78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FootFever78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1992 Nautique Excel. Leaking transmission.
    Posted: October-18-2017 at 3:44pm
Gang,

I have a '92 Nautique Excel upgraded to a 454. No issues there, but I have noticed that my transmission has started leaking. I wiped the ATF off of the belly of the transmission, used the boat, and then noticed a leak in the attached picture. When you put the boat into forward or reverse with the boat running, it leaks out of the point where the throttle linkage connects to the transmission. See here for picture.

It looks like a bad rubber gasket. Question: How hard is it to change this? Do I simply unscrew the linkage and put a new rubber gasket in? Open to coaching/questions.

Thanks,
Jim
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 3:53pm
Jim,
The leak is at the valve spool that controls fluid direction to ether the forward or revese clutch packs. Pull the spool, check it and the bore for burrs and then install it with new O rings. You should be good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FootFever78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 5:22pm
That's great to know. Thanks a lot. So I can pull that spool out without other internal parts falling out of place? Also, do the O Rings need to be OEM or can I purchase that size at a hardware?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 7:05pm
If you read the Borg Warner manual in the reference section, it'll have pictures and a description of what to do.

I'd put up a link to it, but if you go there you'll see plenty of informative manuals

Top of the page in the same ribbon you click on to get to the forums you'll see reference, just click on that.

Hardware store O rings will work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FootFever78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 10:41pm
Great call - thanks. I found the manual with diagrams, but wasn't able to ID the appropriate description(s). This is as far as I got on the disassembly. Should I be disassembling from the other side? Apologies for my ignorance in advance. First-timer with this...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FootFever78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 11:44pm
Update. I figured it out. I will wrench on this tomorrow and shout back with any other questions. Thank you, gentlemen!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 9:11am
Page 24 has disassembly info and page 43, 44 have assembly info.

The pictures show a transmission with no Neutral Safety Switch so it looks a little different but the process is the same.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FootFever78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2017 at 10:12am
Thanks, KENO. As an update, I reinstalled the valve spool incorrectly and broke that and the end cap clip at the bottom. I am searching for parts to complete the install. Photos later.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2017 at 11:49am
Did you break the end of the spool valve or just the Neutral Safety Switch cam and the cover?

Page 46 has them shown.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FootFever78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2017 at 11:59am
Sadly both. Sucks, but I am learning a lot about this boat (The Brofooter).which is nice. Any part sourcing suggestions are welcome.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2017 at 12:51pm
If you put up pictures of what you need, somebody may have some used parts.

I might be that somebody, I won't get a chance to look till tomorrow though.

It sounds like the whole spool valve assembly and the NSS parts are what you need from the description

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FootFever78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2017 at 1:27pm
https://www.dropbox.com/s/65q4infet9dtqtw/2017-10-19%2016.47.40.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wh8thz8lf1hri8y/2017-10-19%2016.14.20.jpg?dl=0

Great! Let me know if these didn’t come through. The cam is certainly busted, but the cap looks fine.   Not sure if they can be bought separately or not.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2017 at 5:27pm
Hi Jim

No luck on the parts but I'm wondering what's broke on your spool valve?

In the picture below which is your valve it seems like nothing is broken, but there's a extra piece of metal jammed in the end on the left side of the slot.

If you can get that piece out the spool valve will probably work unless it's broken somewhere else.

It looks like you definitely need a new cam though.

You could put it together without the cam and the transmission would shift and operate.

You wouldn't have the function of the neutral safety switch though and that could be dangerous since you could do things like start it at full throttle in gear and hurt yourself or other people.

I'd try Fantastic Finish Marine, in Medina Ohio, they probably have used pieces hanging around

Otherwise Discount Inboard Marine probably has the parts

EBasicPower also comes to mind as another place with lots of B/W parts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FootFever78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2017 at 5:36pm
This is a better picture of the spool. Is this not a big deal?

Thanks for checking on the parts, I will call tomorrow and get those on order. Really appreciate the help!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2017 at 9:09pm
It's still hard to tell the damage to the spool from the second picture, but the only function of that slot is to mate with the tang on the cam so that the Neutral Safety Switch will work correctly.

The shift function and the pressure control function won't be affected and from the pictures it's hard to tell if the tang on the cam will fit without slop.

Must have been a case of tightening things without the tang being in the slot
hoggjaws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoggjaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 4:51pm
rumor has it that the bro footer is back on track! well done footfever78!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FootFever78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 2:31pm
Well, thanks to a number of guys, but especially Pbrainard, KENO, and Hoggjaws, the Brofooter is back in action! Fantastic Finishes had the parts in great used condition. They installed easily, and off we go. Dry suit time... Check it out!

Until next time...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by FootFever78 FootFever78 wrote:

Well, thanks to a number of guys, but especially Pbrainard, KENO, and Hoggjaws, the Brofooter is back in action! Fantastic Finishes had the parts in great used condition. They installed easily, and off we go. Dry suit time... Check it out!

Until next time...

Hopefully next time isn't because you forgot to put the dipstick back in the transmission

Couldn't help noticing that gaping hole in your movie clip

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FootFever78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 4:03pm
well-played, KENO! All is in place now
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 4:11pm
Is that a 10-17 or 10-18 behind the 454?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Is that a 10-17 or 10-18 behind the 454?

I think he's got the 454 hooked up to the original 10-17 transmission.

Not the best way to tell but certainly a quick indication is the red ID tag in his picture.

I figure that's what caught your eye too Tim

Every 71C(10-17) I've seen has a red tag

Every 72C(10-18) I've seen has a green ID tag

Wondering how it stands up to the "Big Boy" torque of the 454 and how many hours it has with the 454 hooked to it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FootFever78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 9:21pm
It's the 10-17. Not sure on total hours. I do know the 454 was rebuilt last fall, while the Velvet did not require a rebuild. I put about 100 hours on it this year. Aside from the O-ring leak, it's been legit.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 9:28pm
Sounds like it's holding up OK to the Big Boy engine
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic