NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chrysler 318 engine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Fiberglassic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiberglassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chrysler 318 engine
    Posted: October-19-2017 at 3:09pm
Hi - Newbie here, Will shortly be bringing from Indiana to NC a 1967 Barracuda SS.
I know you've all heard it before, but what makes the difference in HP (210 vs 235) on the Chrysler 318ci engine?
Scott
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 3:24pm
1967 most likely has the Poly head 318? Later LA head engines were rated for more HP/Weighed less.

Poly parts are getting pretty hard to find so good luck if that's what you own.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 3:38pm
Scott,
Welcome to CCfan and when you get the Cuda, make sure you post pictures. We want to hear and see all about it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

1967 most likely has the Poly head 318? Later LA head engines were rated for more HP/Weighed less.

Poly parts are getting pretty hard to find so good luck if that's what you own.

'67 was a split year between the poly and LA/LM.

There were 210hp and 235hp flavors of the poly, as well as 210hp and 225hp flavors of the LA/LM 318. We'd probably need to know which you have in order to comment.
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 5:14pm
is boat complete? if you need some parts i may have some.
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiberglassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2017 at 3:53pm
The boat is all original and complete except the 318 engine that was swapped out 10 years ago. Only thing at this time I see missing is the driver side wind shield wing. Also I'm looking for the 2 chrome vents that go under the bow light which were never factory installed and glass never cut out. Thanks for offer!
Scott
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2017 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Fiberglassic Fiberglassic wrote:

Also I'm looking for the 2 chrome vents that go under the bow light which were never factory installed and glass never cut out. Thanks for offer!

Sounds like you have a short hull Cuda which means it's a 1965 and is not supposed to have the vents cut out.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2017 at 6:29pm
According to the January 1967 issue of motorboating magazine the popular 210 hp Chrysler got the new lighter weight block that year and switched to the wedge shape combustion chamber (became the LA as mentioned by Zach above) and it was available in a high compression 235hp version.

So the difference between the 210 and 235 was compression at least on the later engines... I suspect also the same on the poly engines. The 235 polys are peppy based on my limited experience... my poly is a pitiful 210 sadly... it will need a sticker upgrade at least if it is to push the monster sized boat it came in.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiberglassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 10:39am
No definitely a 1966 or 1967 and glass would need to be cut out and chrome vents installed. I verified it thru this site looking at all 1966-69 Barracuda's that not all of these boats had the vents installed but the area is there to do so. I figure maybe a factory option?? See the same thing from the following URL to this sites Diaries. http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7088&sort=&pagenum=3
Scott
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 12:08pm

No definitely a 1966 or 1967

Scott,
How did you determine the year of your Cuda?

glass would need to be cut out and chrome vents installed. I verified it thru this site looking at all 1966-69 Barracuda's that not all of these boats had the vents installed but the area is there to do so. I figure maybe a factory option?? 3

How do you know the years of the Cudas you looked at are correct?
No, the vents are not a factory option.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 12:24pm
Is the vent "plumbing" there, i.e some sort of air box and tubing behind the foot board to the bilge, or are you going to add that or are you just interested in deck "cosmetics"?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiberglassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2017 at 5:26pm
Strictly for cosmetics. It appears the engine forced air and breather cowls are midway down the deck on each side of the engine. I believe the boat looks 100% more awesome with those 2 shiny chrome vents right up close to her nose!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2017 at 5:29pm

Strictly for cosmetics. It appears the engine forced air and breather cowls are midway down the deck on each side of the engine. I believe the boat looks 100% more awesome with those 2 shiny chrome vents right up close to her nose!

that's a valid opinion... I would just stick a couple one with some 3m vhb double sided tape then if some originality freak wanted to remove them 80 years from now they would have no holes to fill
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2017 at 5:36pm
I think they look better with the vents, too, but it's a '65 and that's how they were made. It's also called a short hull which has a different deck than the 66+ Cudas. There are quite a few in the diaries that are mis identified by year due to Correct Craft putting the year that the boat was sold as the model year on the bill of sale, and not the year of manufacture.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic