Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel stabilizer of choice?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cragginshred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cragginshred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel stabilizer of choice?
    Posted: October-22-2017 at 2:02pm
Which fuel stabile do you use for winter? I filled my boat with premium fuel now want to treat it to keep it good. BG has some good products but did not know if I needed to drier for ethanol too?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2017 at 4:52pm
I have used Stabil and Sea Foam. If you read the fine print Stabil says it only works for 6 mos.   Sea Foam says it works for 12 mos.   Have not tried any other brands.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2017 at 5:54pm
Per boating magazine testing, looks like Biobor EB comes out on top. I've always just used regular Sta-bil and have never had a problem. I do use 50% more than recommended since the ethanol came out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 12:12am
I use the blue Sta-bil. Pete, doesn't make a lot of sense to use the regular red Sta-bil when the blue is formulated for ethanol in fuel.

I use it all summer long, every fill-up. Some people think I'm wasting my money, and maybe they are right, hard to prove one way or the other. But, knowing a bit about fuel and how ethanol reacts makes me want to have protection all the time, and for the few bucks a season it costs me I figure why not. I double the dose for off season storage, as recommended.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 7:43am
David,
Years back when Gold Eagle came out with the marine version, I did buy some and used it. As with anything labeled "marine", they sure get more $$ for it so I went back to the regular since Gold Eagle states it works on ethanol too.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 1:04pm
I switched over to the Lucas Safeguard stabilizer when it appeared at my auto parts store. I have always had good luck with Lucas products so I gave it a try. Does it work? I don't know. I have never really had any issues with gas.

I have also started to use their Slick Mist interior spray for my vinyl. Smells great and does not leave my vinyl slippery like 303 does. Says it is water based with UV inhibitors. So far so good on it too.

Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,
Years back when Gold Eagle came out with the marine version, I did buy some and used it. As with anything labeled "marine", they sure get more $$ for it so I went back to the regular since Gold Eagle states it works on ethanol too.   

So that's why you use the low end Fram oil filters as well, because they are cheap and on the box they say they provide superior filtration???
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 1:17pm
I use seafoam and try to store with as little fuel as possible, the fuel injected/EI motors do not react well to old gas even when treated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic