NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

196 vs 206

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 196 vs 206
    Posted: October-23-2017 at 9:36am
I am thinking about a newer ski boat . Wife got a pull on a 2003 196 and loved it. I would like to get a open bow . How does the wake on a 206 compare to a 196?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 10:49am
Paging Quinner? What speed and line lengths are we talking about? What event? Slalom?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 11:10am
Hi Mike:
(Assuming Gail is slaloming)......Go straight to Joel's boat - I love the 200's! The BEST!

The 206 is a terrific entry-level slalom course open-bow boat. It does well if lightly weighted..... but worsens with increasing weight esp. weight astern of the pylon. We feel like it's the best of both worlds (of its era) - practical use and slalom ski-ability. The 196 is the slalom boat of the time, and it slaloms better. BTW - get the 6L, love that engine.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 12:43pm
Probably not quite 196 or 200 calibre, but I am guessing more than adequate for a weekend warrior. A little bit of a distant shot, but here I am behind Gregs 206 in the second half of this clip, to give you an idea of the wake (15 off/32 MPH). I think the 206 is a great all around boat.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 1:15pm
@Air206 I was thinking kinda the same thing. The 200 has been around for nearly 10 years at this point. Might be something to seriously consider though I almost never see the older 200's for sale. Once people get them they seem to hang on to them.

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 1:21pm
The 206 is very good for what it is, kind of like my Sport, nice slalom wake with low fuel and not much weight. Bump at 22 off is not good, 15 off is very good and I'm not good enough to ski shorter line lengths.

But ..... a 196 is a phenomenal slalom wake. I haven't skied a 200 so can't comment on that but a 196 just is flat and soft and amazing to slalom behind. Hard to say "get a 206" if optimum slalom performance is what you want, but I prefer the bigger boat open bow versatility and don't mind the trade-off of good rather than great slalom wake.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 1:23pm
Mike did say he wanted an open bow, rules out 196. Joel is right, not many used 200s out there. the few "old" ones I found were 40-ish. Budget might also be a factor.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 1:29pm
Mike, I would go find a very nice 97-99 closed bow :)
The 206 is weight sensitive as Steve mentioned, if all you plan to use it for is slalom find one without a tower and a keyed ignition for the best wake. 6L is nice but the Excal will do everything you need and even the 5.0L is adequate unless you plan on pulling multiple barefooters.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 1:56pm
Slalom and open bow just don't go together for any CCs until the 200.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 2:00pm
Mike didnt say she is in 41 off training for the nationals.....

(Hmmmm. recurring theme)
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

(Hmmmm. recurring theme)

Gail skis better behind a 210 than I do behind a 196 - but IIRC they also have more than one closed bow supra comp boat from the late 90s so I would suspect they are trying to make a significant improvement over that. Maybe just equal it with a little more room and style?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 4:33pm
I would never trade off my ski wake for the open bow, 196 all the way, no question.
I've skied several 206's and they are a great all around boats but if you are looking for a dedicated slalom boat there is no comparison.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

(Hmmmm. recurring theme)

Gail skis better behind a 210 than I do behind a 196 - but IIRC they also have more than one closed bow supra comp boat from the late 90s so I would suspect they are trying to make a significant improvement over that. Maybe just equal it with a little more room and style?

I knew MIke had the Supras and the comp is a very respectable ski boat, so I assumed as you are, that he is looking for a bit of an upgrade, but with the open bow. Obviously 200 is the ticket, but if budget is a factor, 206 is a respectable compromise.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 9:21pm
Yes I have two Supra Comps 84-92 both have been restored and will be for sale in the spring . My intention was to get a 99 or newer Supra Legacy [ open bow comp] until she skied a 2003 196 . She loved the wake so now its not looking good for my open bow. She skied a 200 and they are her favorite . In 09 we looked at a new base model it was in the 40s we have been waiting ever since but the price has never gone down . So the 196 is looking better . I wont get serious until the comps are sold .

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2017 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

until she skied a 2003 196 . She loved the wake

That's really the whole answer then ..... got to go with the 196! They are truly awesome slalom boats.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic