NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop shaft strut

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2017 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Moody Blue Moody Blue wrote:

One prop shop down, one more to check.

So what did the first shop say? They couldn't braze the fractures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Moody Blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 1:06am
First shop simply said they don’t repair struts. I’ll check the second shop tomorrow.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 1:13am
I have a good used 6A6 I would sell.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 7:27am
Hollywood, thanks. If the 6A6 ends up being my best option, I’ll take it.   I’ll check with White Lake and N3 today.
    White Lake was going to verify the 6A6 option with the factory.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 8:58am
Richard,
The 6A6 has a aft end drop of 5" and a shaft angle of 15 degrees. There's a reason CC used the 6DV!! Unless Boatland is willing to modify your hull to fit a different strut, I highly recommend you get some measurements off your existing 6DV and compare them to the measurements I posted of the S141 and the 6A6.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 9:07am
Pete, Yes. I completely agree with you. I don’t want to start modifying.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 9:58am
If push comes to shove ship it to me. My prop guy can do it no problemo.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 10:13am

First shop simply said they don’t repair struts. I’ll check the second shop tomorrow.

Did you or Boatland talk with the shop?

Per Indy Prop Shop's website, they have a complete machine shop so they may be a good one to contact. Plus, it also sounds like they have been around for more than 40 years so I'd say in that time they've run across a strut or two?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 11:08am

It will be interesting what the factory comes up with. That list that Pete provided above was given to Zach who was formally at N3 by Bruce who was at Mid West Correct Craft and is now at the factory. There won't be anyone at the factory anymore that knows more than him, I would expect he still uses the same info.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 11:12am
6a6 doesn’t have the wide base, I’m sure it’s not the right option.

Pete, if you go back to Watercraft measuring struts, grab the dimensions off the S14mod and S19mod (both 1-1/8”) struts for me!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

It will be interesting what the factory comes up with. That list that Pete provided above was given to Zach who was formally at N3 by Bruce who was at Mid West Correct Craft and is now at the factory. There won't be anyone at the factory anymore that knows more than him, I would expect he still uses the same info.

Gary,
Interesting indeed! I feel they will have the same results as Watercraft which was zero! Per Ryan, CC has a hard time with current parts!

Richard,
Watercraft's first CC sold was a 1949 Correct Craft Junior. Get your existing strut repaired.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 2:07pm
Repair is the focus now. I visited Indy Prop Shop this morning and the owner said he is not comfortable repairing a strut.
Hollywood contacted me and recommended Fox Lake Propeller in I’ll. I left a message on their voice mail and hope to hear back soon.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 9:24pm
Richard,
Before you ship the strut out, I suggest looking for welding/fabricating shops. If no luck, I would sent it to Crow Custom Cast I know several ACBS members and a CCfan member who had them do work and the results were fantastic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
z3tyger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z3tyger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2017 at 11:37pm
I have a strut, shaft, coupler and rudder from a 1973 16’ mustang. I do not have the parts at my house and cannot confirm any identifying marks on the strut. the rudder is a 27A. If interested, I can send the pics I do have and confirm measurements tomorrow
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2017 at 12:36am
Pete, big thanks for another contact. Fox Lake didn’t answer their phone or return my call today. I’ll try again next week.
    z3tyger- thank you. If I have no luck with repair, I’ll get with you.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2017 at 12:42am
Pete- Crow Custom Cast sounds perfect. “cast metal restoration service”
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 10:24am
Call Karen @ CorrectCraftParts   Phone is 318-299-8547   We have 1 in stock,$250 shipped to your door.........
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 1:32pm
I’m still searching for the elusive 6DV.   Thanks all.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2019 at 12:12pm
Long over due update. Sent damaged strut to be repaired. In the meantime, z3tyger contacted me with a 6DV in perfect condition. Super nice guy.   Repaired strut came back a few degrees off. It makes a nice paperweight and could possibly be used as backup if z3’s is the last one on earth. z3’s strut is on the boat and I’ve had a couple of great seasons with it. If there are any other nice 6DV’s out there, I’d be interested.
Sincere thanks everyone for all of your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic