NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upholstery/speaker install issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upholstery/speaker install issue
    Posted: November-01-2017 at 9:38pm
A former owner of my boat had new upholstery installed, but didn't have cutouts for speakers made.

I ordered speaker cloth from Christine's 'cause I'd like to go for the original setup and not have speaker covers pushing in people's backs:

Anyone have done this before? Tips? Do I have to take all upholstery off the pads or would I make a cutout for the speaker and would I 'sink' it in through there?
How would one make the ring around the cloth? A local upholstery guy would do that, but he has never done it before so tips are welcome!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 11:39pm
All they are is CPVC Plastic Pipe with the edge beveled. I am on the road right now, and when I get home latter this week I will take a photo of some that I took out of my boat and show you how they work. it is a pipe inside a pipe. CPVC is the white waste drain vent pipe used in homes. Yes, you may have to remove most of the skin to do it right. That plastic backer board is hard to get staples in my it can be done. The front bow area is made of fiberglass and it requires a pneumatic stapler. Turns out my pneumatic nail gun was also a pneumatic stapler.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2017 at 6:44am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

All they are is CPVC Plastic Pipe with the edge beveled. . CPVC is the white waste drain vent pipe used in homes.   

Donald,
I'm sure you meant to say PVC pipe. PVC is the white pipe typically used for DWV (drain waste vent). CPVC pipe has a yellowish color and is used for water supplies. The "C" stands for a chlorination process that makes PVC pipe capable of handling the high range of temperatures between the hot and cold water supplies.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2017 at 3:56pm
Thanks, would love to see how this works.
When I said "the ring around the cloth", what I mean is I think piping. Don't have it so that would have to be made, and will never match color of course... Thinking of maybe installing them flushed, so they don't stick out, without the cloth. Would much rather have them out of sight though... I'll first wait for those pics I think.
Thanks again!
rcsmith727 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcsmith727 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2017 at 5:49pm
I would also be interested in seeing pictures of your setup Donald. I have new upholstery in my '95 SS that covers up the speaker holes. I'm trying to decide whether or not to mount the speakers flush or behind - or just upgrade to tower speakers and fill the holes with padding.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2017 at 11:29pm
Sorry for the delay. I have been traveling and very busy. Being a evening entertainer of the ladies takes a lot of time.
I also stand corrected. Pete is correct, CPVC is typically used for Chemical Service. You will need PVC, white color, which is used as Drain and Waste Vents in homes. The pipe is cut and the outside edges are beveled. The skin is stapled into the outside ring and screws are run from the back into the backer board and into the PVC rings. The center pipe has the hose like material stapled to the outside of the ring with vinyl trim around it. little 90 degree angles hold them in place. The speaker mounts to the backer board.

My 2002 Sport Nautique has six speakers. Two are in the bow area and four are in the cabin. One of the four speakers are in the kick panel. Here are the THICKER two sets of rings that are used in the bow area. If you have bow speakers you will need 6" and 5" ID PVC. You will need to cut the outer and inter rings 1 and 3/4" long.

2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2017 at 11:38pm
The cabin has four speakers, however, one of them on the 2002 is in the kick plate so there is only one ring for that speaker. These speakers require a 6" outer tube and a 5" inter tube that are 3/4 " tall each. . These three sets are small ID as the others but they are 1" shorter than the bow area. So 5" and 5" ID PVC / White , Drain / Waste Vent pipe is what you need to use.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2017 at 11:46pm
Here is a photo of all six speaker inserts.

When I did my Wet Sounds install last winter, I chose to remove the old 6" speakers and replace them with 6.5" speakers. You will find that 6" speakers, higher end, are no longer available in 6". If you go with Polk, JVC, Kicker, or Wet Sounds, they are all 6.5". For this reason I pulled out the tubes, pulled back the skins, removed 1/2" more foam and installed 6/5" rings coated in epoxy resin, several coats, and screwed in those rings from the back side and mounted the 6.5 speakers from the top side. By removing some more foam, the speakers are deeper in the padding making them easier to lean against.

The Clarion 6" Marine Speakers are obsolete. In my humble opinion. I have tons of photo's from my install that I have yet to finish sorting out , but I will look and see if I can show you an example of what I did. If you get to the kick panel, that one is tricky, but I can show you how to do it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 12:15am
reassembly. There are three amps. One six channel, one two channel and the one single channel is in the shadow and little hard to see. None are seen with the panels and seat in the boat. I retained 100 % of my storage under the observer seat.

sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 9:39am
Making it look easy! Thx for sharing.
rcsmith727 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcsmith727 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2017 at 12:51am
Donald, you're the man - thanks for sharing your pictures. I have a clear line of sight on this project now
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2017 at 2:05pm
There is a lot of information on Planet Nautique on this subject. Being my boat was a 2002, I had to go back several years worth of post under sound system upgrades to find information that pertained to my application. I studied about two years before pulling the trigger and the saw trigger. Most of the post are concerning the newer boats and such. You have to dig deep.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic