Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

velvet drive problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
84skinautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: velvet drive problem
    Posted: July-18-2006 at 12:43am
After a full day of riding and heading back to the dock I heard a strange noise which sounded like a clank. I though maybe I hit something like a turtle or something because my boat never skipped a beat until I slowed down and realized I had no neutral and when I placed my boat in reverse it stalls. I separated the shift linkage and manually shifted the lever and same thing was happening.   Please help. Being on my boat is my therapy. Has anyone had this happen to them before.
another day another repair
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 6:44am
Its broke. Likely fragged a forward clutch plate.
Stop running it before it damages more expensive parts inside.
Arrange to get it rebuilt or if your handy at all rebuild it yourself. Parts are about $500 with a fresh damper plate. Its as easy as a tranny can get. The shop manual is in the CCF reference area.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 9:09am
broken reverse plate more likely , here's all the parts you need , may need new reverse springs , ski dim has them , very easy to rebuild.                               http://www.amarket.com/imabw071.htm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 8:06pm
Thank you both for replying so quickly. I do know how to rebuild the velvet drive. I kind of knew myself what it was but I never had a boat have these symptoms before. I was hoping for a easier solution but I guess ill remove it and see what the cause of the problem ill check both of what you said and will probably do the whole thing since ill already have it apart. Ill keep ya posted and yah i already know about skidim. They are great and wonderful customer service and already have alot of my money from another velvet drive for another pain in my butt boat
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2006 at 7:23am
ski dim price , clutch pack FWD $165 , oil seal kit $61 ,reverse plate $31 , same exact parts are in the kit from amarket for $75 .          http://www.amarket.com/imabw071.htm
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2006 at 8:14am
ski dim price , rebuilt RH starter $196 , brand new RH starter from amarket $139 , altenator $166 , amarket $120.               http://www.amarket.com/mes337ml.htm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2006 at 9:09am
thanks for the heads up on parts ill check them out     i will remove the tranny and open it this afternoon     keep yall posted
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2006 at 11:42am
I've just been through a second tranny rebuild. Note VERY carefully where each snap ring comes from and put them back in the same place. They are different thicknesses, it matters, and you don't want to swap them around. My tranny has burned up twice because a previous rebuilder, probably an amateur like most of us, wasn't very observant. If you do it wrong, you'll mess up the clearance between the plates, they'll slip, and you'll overheat the tranny. Been there.

Incidentally, the snap rings aren't exactly intuitive as to where they go. One actually acts more as a spacer than a snap ring, so if you try to put the ring in place that looks like it will fit in the right groove, you'll probably switch them around and mess it all up. An experienced rebuilder gave me that tip, and that's probably what happened to my tranny.

That said, it's not a very hard job, and well within the skill set of the average wrencher.

And Aftermarket Marine is by far the least expensive supplier. Got 2 kits from them.

Thomas
MY70/81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MY70/81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2006 at 1:03pm
Just a heads up on a few things, just rebuilt my Velvet Drive and I might be able to save you a couple of headaches.1) Clutch kits from Amarket are made of Friction Material like Automotive Clutches, Not Brass like kit from Skidim, that is why big diference in price. 2)Snap Rings are Very Important, pay close attention to manual and be sure proper ring goes in proper place. Smaller ring is more of a spacer than retainer, that is why ring groove looks shallow. 3) I had a problem with the bushings inside of the Planetary gear, where shafts go together, make sure they are there and in Good condition, that Planet is worth $1200.00, and the fluid flows to the clutches through it. Bushings can be replaced if necessary, I did it with a drift and Sleeve Sealant, they can be had for about $8.00 ea, and don't forget to align properly with holes and Hone for shaft fit, inside first before installing outer. Other than that it is pretty straight forward.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2006 at 3:11pm
What's the dif between "friction material" and brass for this issue? Does it matter which goes in the velvet drive? Is Amarket stuff consistently lower than skidim? But do they give inferior or auto-type materials instead of marine?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2006 at 6:28pm
I started to order a tranny rebuild kit from Aftermarket two days before Katrina hit. I figured since they were in the path of the storm I'd order from Skidim so the shipping wouldn't be slowed down by the storm. I guess I got lucky on that one. No point here, just a funny story.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2006 at 8:24pm
thanks for all the great input guys i made sure all the parts we put back the way they belong. It turned out I busted several teeth on the planetary gear. Thank god i had a spare from a extra tranny in the garage from another boat. Cleaned the tranny through and through. Not sure what cause the breakage. Bought the boat used about three years ago so I don't know how the previous owner treted the tranny. He took care of the rest of the boat pretty well. No other damage in sight. went ahead and swapped the rear clutches out which were picked from skidim a few months back. Decided not to use any of the other parts fom it because it kept burning up the oil pump and not sure why. Thanks again for all your input.   Happy boating to all

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2006 at 8:25pm
not planetay gear    the pinion cage   not sure why I said planetary gear long day I guess
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2006 at 10:31pm
amarket kits are from alto , all plates are bronze just like factory , I bet ski dim sells alto plates and kits.              http://www.altousa.com/pdf/catalogs/catMarine.pdf
MY70/81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MY70/81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2006 at 7:59am
One last imput on this, I called Amarket on the phone and asked what the composition of the clutches was and they told me that they are made of a Fiber Friction Material, that is why I purchased clutches from Skidim at more than double the price. I guess if they told me wrong then I feel like I spent too much. Also on the Pinion Cage, I think that we are talking about the same part when I said Planetary gear, very expensive if you need to replace.
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2006 at 7:51pm
the kit amarket sent me had bronze plates , I didn't even see fiber plates listed on alto's site for the 71.                            http://www.altousa.com/pdf/catalogs/catMarine.pdf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic