Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

50/50 mix acetone-transmission fluid

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50/50 mix acetone-transmission fluid
    Posted: November-12-2017 at 8:33pm
New to me Ramlin trailer . Pin is stuck for fold away tongue. Want to put 50/50 mix acetone - transmission fluid on pin . With doing that , mix will get drip on paint , No way around it . Question - will mix eat away at the trailer paint ?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2017 at 9:04pm
More than likely,acetone is nasty stuff. Just try putting on atf,it's not like you have a tight threaded bolt. A rusty pin will have some gaps for the atf to flow I would think.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2017 at 9:24pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2017 at 10:42pm
Ok. Thank you.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 1:41am
I have Kroil at home, it works, far better than PB Blaster or WD40 but still but not as well as the 50/50 mix.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 10:17am
Also, liquid wrench is great for something you can get at the hardware store. I believe it tested far and above PB. Kroil is what we used at work and it seems to be great. Doesn't run as easily as some of the other oils and stays where you want it to.
chau8238 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chau8238 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 12:50pm
Any way you can get a punch and hammer on the bottom of the pin and just bust it free?
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 9:32pm
Sledge isn't budging it .
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 9:43pm
Heat is another option, it will help to get the lubricant into the tight spaces, much like solder flows into a plumbing joint when heated.    THis has the disadvantage of messing with your finishes, but might be a plan X so to speak.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 3:23am
Production engine rebuilders will take a torch and heat up rusted block plugs and then hit them with wax. The wax wicks in just like solder in a copper plumbing joint. After the wax goes in the rusted plugs come right out.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2017 at 9:53pm
Forgot about that little trick . Will try that .
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2017 at 12:42pm
Jeff,
You may need to make a puller for it. You would need to drill and tap the pin so a steel plate can be attached. In the plate you would need jack screws around the perimeter on the pin. Then by tightening the jack screws, the pin should come out. Even better yet, I'd look to borrow a Porta-Power with a hollow cylinder.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2017 at 1:56pm
Brother gave me some Aero-Kroil to try out. I didn't think it was nearly as effective as Liquid Wrench. (but L-W smells really bad, but it does work more often than not)
My kids automotive shop instructor brainwashed the children into using P-Blaster, so I had to show them the actual effervescent activity that occurred during the usage of Acetone/ATF, they were astonished.
(ATF automatic transmission fluid, not Dept. of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms)
And Please Do Not Smoke while using acetone !   Me and Billy are the only two people that are highly trained enough to do so.   And remember Acetone is the 3rd most powerful fuel on this earth.
Keep it....from sinkin'
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2017 at 4:49pm
I used the 50/50 acetone and atf mix to break pistons loose in a 1966 327 Corvette engine that had been parked for 35 years. I had first tried everything else including PB Blaster and Kroil.

What finally got some movement and then broke it loose was heating the pistons with a torch and then squirting the 50/50 mix all over the hot piston head so it could soak down around the piston rings.   I was in a safe area so I tested how flammable this mix was hitting the liquid on the piston head directly with the torch. It burned but slowly with no flash. I was surprised. It is a pretty safe mix.
As someone already mentioned you can actually see and feel the rust breaking up after this is applied.   I got that engine to roll over smoothly.
I should have mentioned that one cylinder had mice living in it when I pulled the head off.
I am sure the nest was not good for the cylinder.

We need to invent a name for this stuff. It is hard to type 50/50 all the time.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2017 at 12:32pm
I've been using the 50/50 acetone/ATF mix to free up the original steering cable out of my '87 Martinique. Figured it couldn't hurt, and maybe save myself $300 for a new cable. When I started on it, I could't move the cable by hand at all. Now, it moves very freely. I have the cable hanging in my garage with both ends in the air. Occasionally squirt a little of the magic mix in, and let it flow. It's working.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2017 at 1:07pm
Great idea Mark, naming this mixture.
I have used the name Liquid Magic but I also use that name for Klotz synthetic racing 2-stroke oil.
I think Knocker Loose has already been used.
All I can think of right now are names much longer than the actual ingredients, like: The fluid that's less fun than spending a day with alcohol tobacco and firearms.
I'm sure this group can come up with something much better.
Keep it....from sinkin'
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2017 at 1:11pm
How about "Mark's Magical Mystical Mixture"!?!? Produced by the 4M Corp.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2017 at 1:23pm
Not bad Dave.    I got one, but sadly it's no good.
Ace-Tranny, but I think it would remind some people of the horrible idea that Bruce Jenner had.
Keep it....from sinkin'
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2017 at 1:51pm
Breax Fluid or trans blender
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2017 at 6:29pm
M-oil!
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2017 at 6:36pm
I don't care what it's called. It saved me from being nicked for over $300.

Fixin' to get the cable down this afternoon and work it back and forth in the cover to really get the kinks worked out of it. .
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2017 at 8:31pm
And here I was just trying to get my little ole lonely pin loose and now we are talking about trans people . LOL . Will work on it over the holiday weekend .
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2017 at 9:07pm
Is there a boat on the trailer? If not, I'd hitch up to it and drive it down a bumpy road and make it bounce around a little. Amazing to me that a sledge won't move that pin.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 4:38pm
If it will not move I wonder if it got bent.   If it wont move cut it flush with your trailer and drill it out. Should only have to drill in about 1/4" each side then buy a new pin.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 6:46pm
Remove the bolt and swing it on the pin. That first twist might even break it free.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 11:18pm
My son works for a company that makes stuff like this. I have been telling him about the Acetone/ATF, and how wildly popular it is here. He said to try some of this stuff if all else fails. He would like some real world feedback on how it works vs. other stuff. He would be happy send a sample or two out to anybody that wants to try some. They do private label sprays and fluids for the automotive world. He isn't looking for sales. Just trying to help some fellow boaters, and get some feedback. He's been to a reunion or two with me. I got the link to work once, but, having trouble here. Hope it works or maybe somebody can fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5070kl1pnyU&feature=youtu.beto

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2017 at 6:36am
Dave, Here's the link and it did work for me.

Maybe Ken will see the video and will get inspired to do one of his hands on tests and see what the 50/50 will do in a nail climb!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2017 at 12:01pm
David, I would give it a try, let me know how to contact him. I can use it and also give a can to the guy that runs our plant, tons of applications there for it. Let me know how to get in touch with your son.

I usually use Liquid Wrench, so would be comparing that that, also use Cyclo Break-Away at times.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2017 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Dave, Here's the link and it did work for me.

Maybe Ken will see the video and will get inspired to do one of his hands on tests and see what the 50/50 will do in a nail climb!

He thought about it but there are so many questions

What kind of nail, new, old, rusty, galvanized, coated ?

More importantly what kind of ATF do I use synthetic or dino oil?

Way to many variables
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

He thought about it but there are so many questions

What kind of nail, new, old, rusty, galvanized, coated ?

More importantly what kind of ATF do I use synthetic or dino oil?

Way to many variables

Really disappointed in all your excuses. Buy a pound of nails and you can test every combination and variable. Take your time, but we'd like to hear back with results before Thanksgiving.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic