Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at a 1966 Barracuda

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Fergus9761 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fergus9761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at a 1966 Barracuda
    Posted: November-12-2017 at 10:46pm
Hello Everyone. I am not an owner (yet) but have been looking at the Barracuda and have fallen for it. Something about that boat.

Anyway, I had a look at a '66 Cuda that has been restored. The fellow who has it is a dealer and specializes in wooden boats. He appears to have bought this off someone else and while he has documentation in the form of pictures and manuals, he does not seem to know who did the work. The boat won an award at the Lake Dora Boat Show in Florida and he has the plaque. Not sure how the boat made its way to my corner of New England, and the owner was not particularly forthcoming. The pictures document a complete tear down to the shell - stringers replaced and reglassed. New decks and bulkheads. The Chrysler 318 was rebuilt (appears to be a Plymouth Gran Fury engine). She looks beautiful.

I need to be careful here - the dealer has been in business since 1978 and I do not want to say anything negative about him. I have some local sources to consult there. I have an uneasy feeling about the pricing - he wants $19k for the boat. I have looked around the web and on this forum and so far that is the most expensive Cuda I have seen. He told me that he started out asking $28k for it, and that this is a bargain price. I have looked at other boats for much less, but they are not in the condition that this boat appears to be in.

I am looking for a reality check. If the boat is a show winner and in Bristol condition, does the asking price seem out of line? This is a boat I want to use - not show. I am going to continue to poke around (boating season is pretty much done here) but any insight from the more experienced people would be much appreciated.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2017 at 10:57pm
Is it this one? That boat seems to make the rounds. Sounds a lot like the $28,0000 Promo that was just discussed. What is it worth? Like is said a lot around here, it is worth what someone will pay for it. Way to often, people think they can buy a boat for $4,000 and put $12,000 into and they have a $16,000 boat, or because it is so special, a $20,000 boat. Thing is, take a 2001 for example, no matter what you do to a 2001, it is going to never exceed $10,000. That Barracuda may be a stunning example, but it is not worth $19,000. Also, are you looking for a boat to show, or are you looking for a boat to enjoy? You can get a heck of a restored barracuda or a lot of other restored 60s vintage boats for a whole lot less. Bruce Hart's (Riley's) boats come to mind, I have no idea what kind of value he would put on some of his restorations, but they are beautiful. I am guessing that Bruce, like most others, isnt restoring his boats to flip them and make a buck. It doesnt work like that. When you put that much time effort and cash into one, its to end up with a nice boat, not to end up making money by selling it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 12:59am
If you have to have an inboard take the 20K you'll have invested and buy yourself the nicest and newest Nautique you can find,you will be way more happy with the ride and workmanship. It's asking price is crazy for a boat that is not 100% correct. As Pete is fond of saying that boat is not restored. I believe that it's painted rather than gelcoated and there is bottom paint on it. There is a reason it's still available. Good luck on your search don't give up.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fergus9761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 7:18am
Guys - thanks very much for your insight. It confirms my suspicions about the boat. It is a pretty thing but you are right, it is painted, not gelcoated and there is bottom paint on it. It is currently shrink wrapped and stored outside and that breaks my heart - winters are a little harsh up here sometimes.

Also true that I have no intention of showing - I just want to use it. I might ski from time to time but even that is not the primary use.

So, another Newbie question: I have seen in this and other comments that bottom paint is not favored - why is that? Growing up in Mass most of my formative boating years were spent on salt water, and we always used bottom paint. The boat was actively fished and spent all summer in the water (not just sitting in the slip as some will do). We would paint it every couple of years and I will likely die young from that. - haz mat suit notwithstanding.

But for some fishing on my brother's Shamrock, I do not plan to use the boat in salt water. We own a place up on one of the lakes in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, and that is where I would keep and use the boat.

Thanks again for your insight and expertise.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 7:48am
Michael,
Gary is correct that if I had seen this thread earlier I would have commented earlier that the boat is not restored but now I will! I highly suspect that the reason for the paint and the bottom paint is the hull suffered from gel blistering and spider cracking so paint was the cheap option to cover it up. Whether or not the paint was done correctly or not only time will tell. If not, the cracking will telegraph through the paint. Yes, the boat is pretty but take a pass on it.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 9:21am
If we didn't already have one, I'd have already been out to Ohio to look at this one. If it's as nice as the photos and description make it look, it the nicest one I have seen for sale.

That boat in NH was for sale in GA for a long time, then it ended up in NH for sale again. It may have won 1st place at the Sunnyland show, but that just demonstrates how little those people in that organization know about Correct Crafts.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsale/details.asp?ID=9625
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

That boat in NH was for sale in GA for a long time, then it ended up in NH for sale again. It may have won 1st place at the Sunnyland show, but that just demonstrates how little those people in that organization know about Correct Crafts.

Bruce,
I'd like to inform you that the 1st place was in a non judged class of fiberglass and it was a "peoples choice". I mention this to demonstrate to you how little you know about the ACBS.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 9:43am
Ok, they are big fans of Correct Craft, kind of like Correct Craft people are big fans of Malibus.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 10:06am
OK - While I have Bruce, Pete and Gary on the line..............Threadjack:

Started sanding the Al Tyll, working on Gel coat. The bottom stripe is TAPE! What? I know, RIGHT? Have you guys seen this before in 60's classic/barracuda hulls? It came off with a wheel and no evidence of painted strip underneath. Mind-blowing.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fergus9761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 10:11am
Thanks again guys. I will keep looking.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 10:18am
Steve,
Yes, the tape for the boot stripe is factory original.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 10:19am

Ok, they are big fans of Correct Craft, kind of like Correct Craft people are big fans of Malibus.

We are fans of all boats!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 10:19am
Steve, all the Cudas I have seen have had tape, (although the oldest I've seen is only a 1966). Our Mustang is a 1966 and has paint. Probably 65/66 was in transition where they went to all tape for the next few years? I'd stick with tape. Take some measurements. It can be difficult to get on straight, especially that little piece in the front.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 10:28am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve,
Yes, the tape for the boot stripe is factory original.

Not just on the cudas/classics either - ive seen reidp change out his boot stripes twice in one weekend... You can buy the vinyl tape relatively easily
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 10:36am
No one can stripe a boat as straight and fast as Reid.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 10:36am

Take some measurements. It can be difficult to get on straight, especially that little piece in the front.

Steve,
Position the boat on the concrete with the jack stand so the boot strip is an equal distance from the floor fore and aft. Get a thin piece of wood and put a nail in it the distance from the floor to the boot stripe. Then as you put the new tape on, use the stick at intervals to get the tape at the proper spot on the hull.

Here's a fancy purchased height measuring stick:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 11:01am
Steve I'll let you in on a little secret,but don't tell Cousin Donald. Don't bother sanding or polishing or even that mop and glow they used on those Cypress Gardens boats.
Flex Seal is your answer,it even comes in red,just the thing for those pesky gel cracks. Why I even hear you can cut your boat in half and use Flex Tape to put it back together ! If you do it right it will look just like bottom paint
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Flex Seal is your answer,it even comes in red,just the thing for those pesky gel cracks.

Fantastic idea!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 12:06pm
Thanks, fellers......... the gel on this is REALLY good, but tired. Nice Solid boat (so far)..... I should start a new thread...........
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 12:12pm
BTW Michael, when done with this Al Tyll, it will be as pretty as that Baracuda (hopefully) without all that paint. You can pay now and I'll give you the $ 27,500.00 deal.     
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Steve I'll let you in on a little secret,but don't tell Cousin Donald. Don't bother sanding or polishing or even that mop and glow they used on those Cypress Gardens boats. Flex Seal is your answer,it even comes in red,just the thing for those pesky gel cracks.   

Gary,

We use Janitor in a Drum on my boats.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 4:00pm

Bruce,
I'd like to inform you that the 1st place was in a non judged class of fiberglass and it was a "peoples choice". I mention this to demonstrate to you how little you know about the ACBS.

Tact: Minus 8 points.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 4:53pm
Larry, think you misunderstood. Pete is referencing the "American Crotchety Blowhard Society".
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 4:56pm
Yes, I stand corrected, I thought it was the Association of Cranky Boat Snobs.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Yes, I stand corrected, I thought it was the Association of Cranky Boat Snobs.

Glad to be a ACBS member since 1981!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 5:38pm
boom
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 6:10pm

Bruce,

If it was up to Pete, I am sure he wouldnt make such a snarky remark, but I think it is in the ACBS by-laws that he has to.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 7:19pm
It is an undisputable fact that CCF events are comprised of way nicer people and are much more fun.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 7:59pm
I think they are still in a daze from when we invaded their party at Sunnyland.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 9:02pm
Michael, check the Toledo, Ohio CL. 1965 Cuda. It has some incorrect pieces but could have good bones.
1976 Martinique,350 Omc. 1975 Glastron/Carlson CV16,115 Merc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic