NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1963 Correct Craft Atom Skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2017 at 8:38am
Don,
See if you can get a good picture around the keel where you found the leak. Also other areas at seams like at the chines would be great too.

You have no information on what the PO was doing and did?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 5:55pm
I used Pettit EZwoodsealer #2018 and Total Boat Lust high gloss marine varnish. I used Famwood woodfiller to fill the holes.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by NewOwner NewOwner wrote:

I used Pettit EZwoodsealer #2018 and Total Boat Lust high gloss marine varnish. I used Famwood woodfiller to fill the holes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 7:00pm

Attached are a few photos of the bottom. I did not see any screw pops. It was leaking along the strip of wood down the center of the bottom. Also, I noted a grimy film on most of the bottom. I don't know if has soaked through or is road grime.
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 7:13pm

This is a before and after of the bad spot where the PO had sanded. I have started stripping with a chemical stripper and it appears to be OK.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 7:17pm
The deck cleaned up well, Make sure you use the bleach to even off that water mark before you apply new stain. It should blend very well with an application or two of bleach. Luckily that's your dark stained area so it shouldn't show once you're done.

As for the bottom, this is a plywood bottom right? Not planked?
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 7:23pm
At some point it looks like I will have to either turn the boat over or put it on some stands. I was wondering if I should pull the engine out and turn the boat over or can I lift the boat by hooking onto the motor and the two tie-down hooks at the front and back. If I pull the engine it looks like it will be a lot easier to clean around inside the boat.
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 7:25pm
Yes, it is plywood.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 7:32pm
I didn't have time to reply to this thread when you first posted it. That is a neat find but I think the Previous owner may have started pulling the hardware off the bottom because of the leak issue you are seeing. If that's the case and it's a leaker you really only have a few options.
1. Flip it over and replace the bottom now before you go any further with the topsides refinish.   Most time consuming and expensive but correct way to do it
2. flip it and apply a fiberglass cloth over the old bottom. Temporary repair that will buy you some time.

3. Put it back together and, put it in the water and see how bad it leaks, run it fo rthe summer and decide what to do next winter.

If it 's a plywood boat and it's leaking at the keel I don't think there's much you can do from the inside to repair it or seal it up. Maybe some 5200 along all the seams will get you through the summer but it's a bandaid. Good chance that if it's been wet for a while that the plywood is delaminating and will eventually need to be replaced.

Whatever you decide to do, the bottom is not a death sentence it just means you will need to spend some time and money to get it back sea worthy.   You'll probably find the stem is soft too but that's a wood Correct Crafts archilles heel, They all fail. The good side is a plywood bottom will take less time and cost much less money than a planked bottom.

Some one took it apart and stopped for some reason, but It's a cool boat and worth saving   Good luck, we'll be watching and here to help
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 7:33pm
Don,
You have some problems at the keel. I'd say the PO gave the bottom a "quick and dirty" paint/caulk job without any attention to seam integrity. You can see where the seam at the keel is leaking. The keel is made up with a wide inner keel and a narrow outer keel. This forms the rabbet where the bottom ply is fastened. The ply is screwed to the keel with bedding compound. This bedding compound is a linseed oil/talc mix that dries out with age allowing water to enter the seam. The big question is how much rot the water intrusion created in the ply and the keel. Can you push on the ply at the keel and detect any movement? Again, are there any screw pops or loose screw fills?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 10:58pm

or can I lift the boat by hooking onto the motor and the two tie-down hooks at the front and back. .

Don,
You have lifting rings. One is in the fore deck and the other in the aft deck. They are for lifting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 12:44am
How about some Flex Tape. I saw something on TV that you could even saw your boat in half and put it back together with it........

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 9:30am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

or can I lift the boat by hooking onto the motor and the two tie-down hooks at the front and back. .

Don,
You have lifting rings. One is in the fore deck and the other in the aft deck. They are for lifting.

Thanks. I did not know if they were for lifting or just for tie-up.
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

How about some Flex Tape. I saw something on TV that you could even saw your boat in half and put it back together with it........

Thanks. I haven't done any research on it but heard through a friend it was crap.

NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 9:38am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Don,
You have some problems at the keel. I'd say the PO gave the bottom a "quick and dirty" paint/caulk job without any attention to seam integrity. You can see where the seam at the keel is leaking. The keel is made up with a wide inner keel and a narrow outer keel. This forms the rabbet where the bottom ply is fastened. The ply is screwed to the keel with bedding compound. This bedding compound is a linseed oil/talc mix that dries out with age allowing water to enter the seam. The big question is how much rot the water intrusion created in the ply and the keel. Can you push on the ply at the keel and detect any movement? Again, are there any screw pops or loose screw fills?

I don't see any popped screws and when I push on the bottom it feels solid. However, it is hard to put much pressure on it while lying on my back underneath the trailer.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 4:57pm
Great project. Keep the updates coming!

NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 10:32pm
The paint stripper is working very slowly in this cold weather so I decided to pull the engine and see if I can get it running, and clean the inside of the boat. I first need to figure out how to do that.   I will post some pics when I get started. I looked at a chain lift contraption at a store today but wasn't sure which one to purchase. They had them from .5 ton to 5.0 ton.

I was wondering if it would be unwise to use a power washer to clean the inside? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Also, I have the original manual on the motor but nothing on the boat. I read on a different thread that there may not have been a manual on the boat and and/or a lot of information was destroyed in a fire at Select Craft years ago. If anyone has one I would appreciate a copy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 8:10am
Don,
A 1 ton hoist is plenty to pull the engine. There should be two attachment points on the engine for a short chain. If not, eye bolts can be swapped out for a couple intake manifold bolts.

I would not use a pressure washer since you would be forcing water into joints. In fact, at this point I suggest not using any water for cleaning the bilge. The pictures you posted of the bottom show where water has already gotten in around the keel from when you washed the bilge before. This is evident from the darker color of the ablative bottom paint at the keel. Short of removing the ply bottom there is a possibility of a "back yard hack" temporary patch but this would require the area at the keel to be completely dry. The patch would involve injecting CPES all along the joint at the inner keel and the ply bottom in hopes of saturating the joint. Keep in mind as mentioned, this would not be a proper fix but just a patch. A proper fix involves flipping the hull, removing all the ply, repairing any rot and rebedding the ply but it's time consuming. Take a look at my diary and the picture of my Atom down to the frame

There isn't and never was a manual on the boat. It's good you have the engine manual. Is it complete with rebuild specs? Is there anything specific you were looking for on the boat?

EDIT: I went back and looked at your engine picture. It already has the lifting eyes on it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 7:46pm
Nothing specific but I have a few pieces the PO had removed and I am not sure where they belong. Also, I looked at the pictures of your boat frame. Very helpful. I have a better idea of how it fits together. I might do the Hack you mentioned. I would like to get it into the water this summer and then something better later. I attached a photo of the motor manual. On page 23 it mentions there was a technical manual (148 pages and 190 illustrations) form no. GM-2085. I was wondering if that might be available somewhere.
The one I have provides all the technical information I need right now. Another question: With the motor removed is one able to turn the boat over to work on the bottom or is it too heavy? Thanks for all your insight and experience.
p.s. I am thinking it would be easier to start the engine while it is in the boat to see if it works. (e.g attach a garden hose, battery and gas tank) all of the gage's would be attached.
What do you think?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 9:00pm
Don,
Get the engine out of the boat. I suggest building an engine stand out of some 2X to set the engine on and then, you can run it on the stand.

Flipping the bare hull isn't that big of a job but planning is needed. If you do decide to flip it, we can talk about it later

You mention it being cold. Is there any chance of getting the hull into a heated area? I mention this because of the water you got down into the keel/bottom seam. If there is any chance of the "hack" patch to work, the wood as mentioned must be dry and a heated area would help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 9:10pm
Don,
The engine stand or cradle is pretty easy to build.

Chrysler 331 marine running on home made 2X stand.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 10:35pm

I would like to get it into the water this summer and then something better later.

I know Pete won't agree but I'd get it going in the boat. Pull the engine and your committed. Then the might as well could take hold. Get it running try it out and go from there,right now your in love with the idea of having an old wood boat. You two might not even be compatible- the separation could be messy with the only real winner being the next owner.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 1:15pm
Very interesting. Thanks. (Personal experience or psychology 101 ?)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2018 at 9:28am
Don,
Running the engine in the boat is certainly an option and in fact leaving the hull as is and putting the boat in the water is an option as well. You may be able to get a few years of running it as is too. I know of a member with an Atom that literally screwed boards to the hull at the chines with caulking under them to stop some pretty bad leaks. I know he got a few summers out of it and in fact may still be running it that way!! Continue on with the great job you are doing so far on the deck brightwork, get the engine running and see what happens on the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2018 at 7:44pm
Thanks. The weather was 60 degrees today and is dropping to 21 degrees tonight. Hard to get much done on the boat. However, I have a smaller heated area where I have been working on the motor cover. (dog house) I am planning on painting the stripes tomorrow. Will post a picture in a couple of days. One of the videos I watched showed removing the blue tape soon after the stripes were painted. Another video showed waiting until it dries. Any preference?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2018 at 7:51pm
Don,
I don't consider blue painters tape to be a good tape to use for any masking on a boat. 3M fine line is the only tape I use.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2018 at 7:52pm
Oh, remove the tape after painting and before it sets up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2018 at 8:47pm

Very interesting. Thanks. (Personal experience or psychology 101 ?)

Personal experience. I've had alot of fun and some great deals over the years   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2018 at 10:49pm
I have some questions about the place where one steps onto the boat. (not sure what it's called) (see photo) It looks pretty good but it is somewhat brittle. Is there a chemical solution to softening it? Does it need to be? Is it molded as one piece, or can the backing be separated and attached to a new piece of backing? Or, is there an after market step that can be purchased?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2018 at 10:55pm
Don,
You need new step pads. I'll see if I can find the member that was making them way back. Don't know if he still is.

Is the engine running yet? I'd be more concerned with it at this point.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic