NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1963 Correct Craft Atom Skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
Author
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2018 at 7:57pm
Keep at it, you are making unbelievable fast progress. At least yours didn't start like this...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2018 at 7:58pm
Visions of your future???

I think we have some rot...

that had to come out

total delamination...
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 10:49am
Wow, what a mess. I would not even think about trying to work with something like this.

Here is my situation. We are moving to a retirement community in Iowa in June. I was hoping to get the boat "fixed" to use on a lake in Minnesota this summer. I had purchased some Total Boat penetrating epoxy to make some small repairs. However, I think I will rent a place to work on it in Iowa and try to have it done for the following summer. In the meantime I will get as much done as possible between now and June.

Another question. There is a long piece of vacuum hose attached to the speedometer. What does the other end attach to?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 11:00am
Originally posted by NewOwner NewOwner wrote:

There is a long piece of vacuum hose attached to the speedometer. What does the other end attach to?

That's the pitot tubing that's attached to this mounted on the transom:

As speed is increased, water pressure at the pitot increases and the speedo needle responds.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 11:22am
Some vessels also use a bronze pitot mounted thru the keel board slightly aft of a point midway between the stem and stern, on a position between the port and starboard gunwales and if you were to raise the sole you might see it just aft of the garboard drain site. in the bilge.
aka the bottom of the boat
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Some vessels also use a bronze pitot mounted thru the keel board slightly aft of a point midway between the stem and stern, on a position between the port and starboard gunwales and if you were to raise the sole you might see it just aft of the garboard drain site. in the bilge.
aka the bottom of the boat

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 1:07pm
Ken,
I wonder if in Duane's circle of car racing, they call core plugs freeze plugs??

Duane,
BTW, the hull bottom pitot pickups are not mounted through the "keel board".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ken,
I wonder if in Duane's circle of car racing, they call core plugs freeze plugs??

Neither one Pete,   we use solid aluminum blocks for Nitro Funny car and Top Fuel racing. No coolant for us.   And if we did we would use what the lower ranks use.   1 3/4" screw in billet plugs
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 3:13pm

Ken,

Neither one Pete,   we use solid aluminum blocks for Nitro Funny car and Top Fuel racing. No coolant for us.   And if we did we would use what the lower ranks use.   1 3/4" screw in billet plugs

So, none of the group drive or own cars or trucks?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 3:20pm

Duane,

Pete,   Guess CC put mine in the wrong place then cause they put it in the middle of whatever board that is.

1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 5:03pm
Don't worry Duane

Pete will straighten you out on all this nautical stuff.

Me, I just call it the bottom of the boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 7:36pm

Duane,

Pete,   Guess CC put mine in the wrong place then cause they put it in the middle of whatever board that is.

No Duane, I don't feel CC put that pitot there. Note it's on a glass hull and isn't the bronze version that would have been used back in the day. Also, speedo's for the most part were and aftermarket item.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 8:39pm
I think mine is right in the middle too,right behind the trans/propshaft flange.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 9:10pm

Duane,

No Duane, I don't feel CC put that pitot there. Note it's on a glass hull and isn't the bronze version that would have been used back in the day. Also, speedo's for the most part were and aftermarket item.

OOPS, I gel coated mine. Too lazy to mask off. Yes it is original bronze casting. Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 9:27pm
Pete

You need to read the link below

It might be today's bit of learning

link
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Pete

You need to read the link below

It might be today's bit of learning

link

Ken,
Thanks. Yes I did learn something.
Duane,
Sorry, I stand corrected.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 10:31pm

Thanks. Yes I did learn something.
Duane,
Sorry, I stand corrected.

Thanks Pete, no apology needed.   We ALL learn everyday if we open our eyes.   Thanks Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2018 at 8:01pm

I found this in a box of parts that came with the boat. Is this the aforementioned pitot tube?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2018 at 8:43pm
Don,
Yes, that a pitot for a speedo.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2018 at 9:52pm

Are the wooden braces for the exhaust original equipment or have they been added? Are they necessary when I replace with new tubes?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2018 at 10:15pm
Don,
They are original and I suggest using bracing just to keep the exhaust from moving.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 7:26am
Don,
Any progress to report?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 9:18pm
I have a lot of progress to report. However, I am having trouble loading photos. The forum says that I have already uploaded the photos. Are the photos being stored somewhere? If so, how do I access them?

I have stripped all of the bottom paint off. the bottom appears to be in good shape except where the patch and fiberglass were. I took out the aluminum brace. The center board where the rudder goes through the bottom is split. (reason for the brace?)
I have been working on the trailer (tires , lights, bunk boards etc.) so I have a way to transport it when I move next month.. I will post some photos Later.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 10:01pm
Don,
You can't post pictures with the same name or file #. Change the name or name the picture and then try posting it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 1:38am

NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2018 at 12:28pm
Anyone know where I can purchase a canvas cover for my 1963 correct craft atom skier?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2018 at 1:05pm
Angola Canvas used to do the covers for the regional distribution center, Midwest Correct Craft . They have in their listings Atom Skier.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2018 at 7:30pm
Don,
It seems I've neglected to answer your question about that aluminum brace you removed that was between the inner keel and the transom frame. I do not feel it was added due to the split inner keel but I suspect it's to hold the transom to the bottom of the boat. If you dig into the transom I'll wager that you will find the frame to be rotted at the bottom as well as the aft end of the bottom. The area of any wood boat is very prone to rot there because water sits back there.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2018 at 7:50pm
I purchased some Total Boat epoxy wood filler will that work here and also on the outside bottom where all of those screw holes are? Or, am I faced with removing the bottom and transom. Can this area be routed out and fixed with some sort of patch?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2018 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by NewOwner NewOwner wrote:

I purchased some Total Boat epoxy wood filler will that work here and also on the outside bottom where all of those screw holes are? Or, am I faced with removing the bottom and transom. Can this area be routed out and fixed with some sort of patch?

Don,
Re read page 4 Don't forget you have that big gouge from the prop plus I feel you will find plenty of rot. Here's just one of the responses.

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Don,
You have the hull flipped so a proper fix will be relatively easy.

easy is a relative term Pete.

Reality is once the bottom is off the monster will rear it's ugly head and it will need some frame/transom/chine/stem attention. That's why the previous owner stopped where they did. Good thing going for you is that this actually is about the simplest and least expensive wood boat there is to have to fix so don't get discouraged, do it right from here on and it will last another 60 years. I haven't said much because Pete has you covered but I'm always willing give advice if you need it. Pm me anytime.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
  Share Topic