Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New owner winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
beebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner winterizing
    Posted: November-21-2017 at 9:57pm
I have a 1986 Ski Nautique 2001. I'm not sure I winterized properly - I think perhaps I'm missing draining something.

So far I removed a plug from each manifold, one from the port side. of the engine. and one from the U bend near the impeller.

It seems like there should be another one on the starboard side? I'll see if I can attache a picture on here.. This is looking from the starboard side. It seems like if anything was a drain plug it would be that hole above and to the right of the starter? But that didn't have a bung in it, neither did it leak when I drove it?

Any suggestions? What am I missing?

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2017 at 10:05pm
Starboard side is at the front below the #1 spark plug

Some water will remain on that side, you can tilt the trailer tongue all the way down or go for a downhill ride to get the most water out.

Don't forget your transmission cooler. It has a drain plug but it's easier to pull the bottom hose to drain it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2017 at 10:29pm

Red arrow is the drain plug for that side of the engine,black arrow but on the other side of the engine is where you will find the drain for that side.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 9:14am
By the way, where's your battery cable to the starter.

Did you take it off for access to the hole that goes nowhere?

Looks like you have a few extra feet of wire to the solenoid on the starter too

I'd pull the hose off the bottom of the raw water pump too so you'll be sure there's nothing trapped there. It's the same hose that hooks to the bottom of the transmission cooler, just pull both ends and there won't be any water in the pump or cooler.
beebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 2:08pm
Thanks everyone, that makes sense.

Keno: Battery cable to the starter is black. Hard to see, but the red cable that is too long is zip tied to it.

My starter solenoid stuck on this summer after I started the engine, and it chewed up the gear on the starter. This is a new Arco Marine starter, and it's wired differently than the factory starter. (according to their directions). But it works.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 2:33pm
That's the later Ford starter

It's an excellent starter and an easy wiring change

If somebody named Pete asks why you didn't fix the old one, just tell him you didn't want to so you bought the new improved version
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If somebody named Pete asks why you didn't fix the old one, just tell him you didn't want to so you bought the new improved version

That made Diet Coke come out my nose.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

No Ken I won't ask about the starter but, I will ask about his battery.
Roger,
You by chance aren't using a deep cycle battery for starting the engine are you? The reason I ask is using one is one of the reasons that causes start relays (solenoids) to weld their contacts together.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
beebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2018 at 4:56pm
haha, no but thanks for checking. I got a car battery because I'd read about that problem somewhere, probably on this forum. Had to get a short one because the size of the battery box is not very tall.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic