NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

87 to 89 swap

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
THEKING00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEKING00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 87 to 89 swap
    Posted: November-22-2017 at 3:42pm
I just purchased an 89' 2001 minus motor and transmission. I have my complete 87 I planned on swapping the motor, transmission, and shaft assembly out of. Are there any major differences or problems I may run into along the way? I understand the 89' came with a different ratio drivetrain (1:1?) and standard rotation motor. Thanks for any input guys
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 4:39pm
Sounds like you got everything covered
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 4:51pm
Use the prop from the 87 and might need the transmission mounts from the 89...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 4:55pm
Muffler may be too tall with the increased angle of the exhaust manifolds.
THEKING00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEKING00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2018 at 8:10pm
So I just got the motor from the 87 dropped into the 89. Keep in mind, this is the 351 and transmission from the 87 along with engine and transmission mounts. The motor mounts went in without a hitch, but i've got some issues with the transmission mounts. Each mount is approx. 1/4" back toward the stern from the original mounting holes. Were the 89 transmissions mount a little further inset toward the bow of the boat? Currently scratching my head on how to resolve this issue......
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2018 at 8:22pm
How does the engine/trans line up with the prop shaft? If good, I suggest making an adaptor flat plate. Make it longer than the new trans mounts so it can be bolted to the cradle and tap it to match the new holes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2018 at 9:05pm
Several have put 1.23/LH engine in place of a 1:1/RH, the footprint is reported to be the same. I can’t see why doing the opposite would be any different. Pics would help- presumably your pinch bolts are all loose allowing in/out movement and free rotation on the trunions?

I am not following Pete’s suggestion. IF it’s determined that all is ok and your trans mounts don’t line up with the old holes, then you can just match drill new ones and bolt it in place.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2018 at 10:07pm
Tim,
"match drill"? The new holes are within 1/4" of the old so, the only way you could drill new holes would be to remove the cradle and weld up the old holes. I may not be following where the old to new is?????

Maybe the THEKINGoo has more info??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2018 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

"match drill"? The new holes are within 1/4" of the old so, the only way you could drill new holes would be to remove the cradle and weld up the old holes.

Why?
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 1:52am
I think the concern is the end result will be 'slots', not holes.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 3:00am
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

I think the concern is the end result will be 'slots', not holes.

Though that was probably what Pete was thinking, I'm with TR - not necessary to go to that much trouble and headache. The only way I could see an even slight concern would be if the vacant 'slot' was toward the bow.   Toward the stern as they are, that same slight concern would only be such if he plans on doing a whole bunch of full throttle starts ... in reverse.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 8:48am
It’s not uncommon for marine engine mounts to be slotted, once the bolt is torqued, it’s not moving.

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/DF-236M1.htm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 9:06am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

It’s not uncommon for marine engine mounts to be slotted, once the bolt is torqued, it’s not moving.

Those slots run in the wrong direction! I sure wish the THEKINGoo posted a picture!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 9:20am
I'm thinking like Tim here.

Nothing wrong with some slots especially since the front bolts are in the original holes.

No way the engine will slide fore or aft (I used them nautical terms for you Pete )

Just call them "adjustment slots"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 9:41am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Those slots run in the wrong direction! I sure wish the THEKINGoo posted a picture!!

I could have sworn I’ve seen mounts with 2 slotted holes, one slot fire/aft and the other side to side. Not sure why it would matter anyways. The PCM mount holes are a little oversized and would allow more movement than you’d want if the bolts loosened up. Tighten them all down and all should be fine.

I’m still curious why the holes don’t line up though... they should.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 10:06am
Click on the link and you'll find holes and slots in all different orientations including what you swore you saw Tim

And they even mention why they're slotted too.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 10:46am
Just tighten it down good and forget about it as others have stated. My engine mounts are slotted one direction and the trans and engine bracket castings are slotted the opposite direction. I feel certain that the high performance guys (Tim, Joe, and others) are not concerned nor have their engines shifted.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

My engine mounts are slotted one direction and the trans and engine bracket castings are slotted the opposite direction. .

No dowel pins Duane?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 9:55pm
Since Joe in Kansas had his cradle out for beautification purposes I asked him to take some measurements on his cradle.(PCM 351 with 1.23 PCM transmission)

He had

4 inches center to center between the holes for the front mount.

3 1/4 inches center to center between the holes for the rear mount

23 inches center to center between the front hole in the front mount and the rear hole in the rear mount.

I went out and measured the same distances on a PCM with a B/W 1 to 1

The mounts numbers were the same 4 and 3 1/4 but the distance between the front and rear holes was 23 1/4 inches. I measured a few times to be sure since this was in a boat and not the easiest thing to do.

So............just like the KINGoo ran into there was a 1/4 inch difference.

So 2 different people using 2 different rulers but what I came up with is what the KINGoo did.

I would think the mounting angle difference and the rotation of the mounts due to this might account for the difference. (I'd have to think about that for a while)

So anyways for KINGoo, drill new holes like was said previously and you shouldn't have any problems.

THEKING00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEKING00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 10:52pm
Thanks so much for the input guys. I can get some pictures up first chance that I get. I pulled measurements on the 87 cradle and the 89 cradle and was expecting to run into this problem when I dropped the motor in. I've been racking my brain on how to adjust the mounts to compensate but there is no right solution other than drilling new holes. Along with this, I pulled the strut off of the 87 and it is slightly tweaked. I have been trying to contact a few different companies about trying to straighten the strut with no luck so far. So as far as getting everything aligned foolproof, I'm afraid I may have to bite the bullet and find a straight strut. Again, thanks for the help
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2018 at 7:56am
[QUOTE=THEKING00] I pulled measurements on the 87 cradle and the 89 cradle and was expecting to run into this problem when I dropped the motor in. /QUOTE]

Just think,if you had mentioned that in the previous post we wouldn't have had all this fun measuring

At least it's been verified that there's a difference.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2018 at 8:17am
Originally posted by THEKING00 THEKING00 wrote:

I pulled the strut off of the 87 and it is slightly tweaked. I have been trying to contact a few different companies about trying to straighten the strut with no luck so far.

Have you checked with Delta Props? They not only straightened my strut but installed a new cutless bearing. Support those who support us.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic