NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heater Craft heater

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

So Pete

This must be your funny way of saying that the motor doesn't have 3 different windings like you thought and like Mark said it has 2 resistors . One for low speed and one for medium speed and nothing needed for high speed

Ken,
Yes, I stand corrected and Mark is correct that the speed is controlled by resistance but, they aren't in the switch. They produce a fair amount of heat and the reason they are in the airstream of the blower.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 7:58pm
I just did the bypass test. Took a wire from positive terminal of the battery and touched all the switch terminals. Absolutely nothing happened. I am planning on cleaning up/redoing the ground connection next. Could that still be the reason it doesn't work? If it's more than just a switch or a wire I might just go without a heater. I thought if it was something easy or inexpensive I would like it fixed, but I'm not sure I want to buy a new unit if this one is shot.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 8:09pm
It can't hurt to run a jumper from the bare spot on your ground connection straight to the negative battery terminal and then do the bypass test over again.

This way the power and ground are straight from the battery.

Mark mentioned this earlier for the ground wire
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 8:52pm
TA-DA!!!!!! That worked Ken (and Mark)!!!! The fan ran at all three speeds. So does this mean the ground is bad, or is that just a start of what's wrong?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 8:58pm
Tom,
Sounds like Mark got it with the bad ground! Now just trace the original ground wire back and see where it's bad.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 9:08pm
Dumb question Pete, but what should I be looking for to see where it's bad? It looks pretty bad behind the dash where the ground from the volt gauge is spliced into it before they are both ground to the same terminal. I also did the breaker test like you mentioned. 11.85 volts at both terminals.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 9:16pm
Tom,
I'd pull the wire connection off were it's connected at the volt meter. Take a close look at the connector and even pull on it. The crimp may be loose and corroded. If you have a new crimp on connector, I'd just put a new one on. Are there any other connections between the blower and volt meter? If so, check them too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 9:26pm
Sounds good. There's some corrosion and almost fraying going on. I'll figure out how to redo that stuff. Then I'll check for other connections between there and the blower. I didn't see anything the other day when I was tracing it the first time, but will look again. I might not get to doing anything for a bit, but will update or ask more questions at some point. Thanks again for everyone's help. I learned a lot, so hopefully I won't ask such basic questions in the future.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 9:32pm
Tom,
If you can't find the problem, my offer still stands come spring!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 9:37pm
Appreciate the offer Pete.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 10:14pm
Well look at that, you got it figured out pretty much. Good job

You know the motor is good, you know a lot more about 12 volt electrical circuits and you have Pete's help in the spring if you need it
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 10:36pm
Absolutely! Great learning experience. Wouldn't have happened if you guys didn't literally tell me every single step to take. But, at this point that's the only way I would have learned. I might be at the first or second grade level now instead of kindergarten.
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2018 at 4:15pm
OK, I know we all like to hear the follow up when people ask for, and are given advice. I finally got around to rewiring the corroded/cracked wires today. Pretty easy, got it all connected again, flipped the switch, and........ absolutely nothing!!! I started thinking that I would take Pete up on his offer to visit this Spring and help me out. But, then I remembered multiple people in this thread telling me to follow the wires thoroughly to see if there are other connections. So that's what I did next. Sure enough, buried behind the dash in the mess of wires was an inline fuse for the heater. The fuse was clearly blown. Put a new one in, flipped the switch, and the blower ran great at all three speeds. Thanks again for the lessons.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic