NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heater Craft heater

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater Craft heater
    Posted: November-24-2017 at 9:48am
Hey guys, I have a 1994 Ski Nautique with a Heater Craft heater that runs off of accessory one on the dash. Late last Summer it worked fine one day, then absolutely nothing the next. I finally got around to looking at it this morning. Since I learned from this forum, the first thing I did was get the VOM out. The following is what I did, but since I don't know anything about electrical circuits I honestly don't know what it means. Battery is fully charged, pushed ignition button on dash, ran blower, and checked other accessory functions. Everything works as it did before. Pushed accessory one, light came on as always, then started using the VOM at various positions on the four point switch (off, low, medium, high). It was reading 12 volts at all positions when the switch was in the off position. When I turned it to either low, medium, or high the reading went to zero at all positions. So, my question is where do I go from here? Please talk to me like I'm in kindergarten, because I have no idea about this kind of stuff. Thanks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 5:26pm
Tom,
When you got the zero volt readings, did you check the volts going into the switch? There should be one terminal that's always got the volts and then depending on the switch position the current gets sent to the respective low, med., high terminal. Check the switch again for volts going into the switch. If nothing, then there's a problem upstream like a connection or a bad breaker. If you have power going into the switch but noting out at any of the 3 settings, then the switch is bad.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 6:40pm
Thanks Pete. sounds like I might have a bad switch based on your suggestion of what to check. Just to make sure I followed your instructions correctly, here's what I did. Overall I took 12 readings with the VOM.

Switch in off position = 12.3 volts at all three terminals.
Switch in low position = 0 volts at all three terminals.
Switch in medium position = 0 volts at all three terminals.
Switch in high position = 0 volts at all three terminals.
Anything else I should take a look at?

Thanks again
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 6:54pm
Tom,
Here's a picture I found of the 4 position Heatercraft switch:

Isn't there a 4th terminal for the 12 volt supply?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 7:17pm
Tom,
Look at page 4 and 5 of this manual. Is this how your switch and blower is wired for the 3 speed blower?

Heatercraft manual

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 7:37pm
Yes, that is my switch, and the wiring seems to be what the manual states. The heater did work great for four seasons. One thing I just noticed as I was tracing the black ground wire behind the dash is that it ends, and is spliced into a wire that goes to the cigaret/phone charger plug in (for lack of a better term). Anyway, that connection/splice looks really bad. Exposed wire, and some corrosion. I have no idea if that means anything or not, but thought I'd mention it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 7:51pm
Tom,
At this point, check all your connections for corrosion. Again, do you get 12 volts going to the switch from the breaker (accessory 1)?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 8:01pm
I'll double check for more corrosion. Sorry I'm so ignorant about electrical topics, but since you have the photo of the switch I can tell you exactly what I did with the VOM. I placed one probe on the somewhat isolated terminal (and kept it there), and the other on one of the three terminals that are kind of grouped together. As I went from one terminal to the next (while keeping the first probe on the isolated terminal) I always got 12.3 volts on the VOM as long as the switch was in the "off" position. Zero volts all around if the switch was in any other position. Does that mean there are 12 volts at the switch?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 8:26pm
[QUOTE=tjs1295] I placed one probe on the somewhat isolated terminal (and kept it there),QUOTE]
Tom,
I feel the readings you are getting are from not having found a ground under the dash. I feel the wire you did find and kept the one VOM probe on is actually a 12 volt source and the reason you get the 12 volts readings at all three blower switch positions. The grounds should be black wires and connected to things like gauge bulb (illumination) or that one black wire you found at the cigarette lighter. See if you can look for the ground and use it for new readings.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 8:43pm
OK, will try and do that. The black ground wire goes from the cigaret lighter to the blower/main heater unit. It doesn't get anywhere near the switch. What should I put the probes on?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 9:15pm
Keep the one VOM probe (use the black - probe) on the ground and then the other you will use to check for the volts on the 4 terminals on the rotary switch.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 10:09pm
OK, I think I managed to do as instructed. Slightly pulled back the ground on the terminal at the cigaret lighter to expose more metal, and placed the black probe on the terminal. Next, with the switch in the "off" position (but the accessory one pushed on) I put the red probe on the four terminals of the rotary switch. It read 12.4 volts at the isolated terminal and a few mV on the other terminals. In every "on" position it was reading 12.4 volts at all four terminals. On a side note, did I hear your families name mentioned on the local news for putting on the festival of lights in Three Lakes?
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2017 at 10:56pm
I did one additional set of tests. No idea if this helps or not. The black/ground wire is bare wire close to the cigaret terminal. I put the black probe on that exposed wire, and took 16 different readings (four switch terminals, and four switch positions) with the red probe on the four different terminals of the rotary switch. The only time I saw a reading (which was 12.1 volts) was with the switch in the off position on the isolated terminal. Every other terminal, in every other switch position was 0 - 8 mV. Anyway, it's different than when I had the black probe directly on the cigaret terminal.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 8:38am
Tom,
We may be getting someplace now that I think you found an actual ground and not a 12 volt positive.

Follow the wire connected to the 12 volt supply to the switch (you call it the "isolated terminal") back to the breaker which you have said is accessory 1. Turn the selector switch to any position (low, med. high) where you are getting the 0 volt readings. Keeping the black probe of the VOM on the ground use the red probe to check for volts both in and out of the accessory 1 breaker. You should only have 2 terminals on the breaker. 1 is the "load" going to the blower selector switch and the other is the 12 volt source. Report back.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 8:58am
Originally posted by tjs1295 tjs1295 wrote:

On a side note, did I hear your families name mentioned on the local news for putting on the festival of lights in Three Lakes?

Tom,
When you mentioned a Brainard in the Festival, I knew who it was but since I didn't attend last night, I went to the channel 12 news on line to confirm. Yup, Linda is a cousin through marriage. She volunteers and also plays the keyboard for the music at the festival. My wife and daughter went and said the attendance was fantastic. Too bad channel 12 didn't have any footage of the actual event. The kids go crazy when Mr. and Mrs. Claus arrive on the fire truck!!!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 10:31am
I'll do that breaker test later today. I'm stuck at work this weekend, so I'll report back this evening. Thanks again for the patience.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 10:39am
Hi Tom

After reading your whole thread here, I gotta say it's confusing.

Your "isolated terminal" is power into the switch like Pete has said.

It sounds like you have 12 volts there and at your accessory 1 breaker.based on what you've posted already

If you want to see if the motor runs, take a short jumper wire from your accessory 1 breaker outlet side and momentarily touch it to any of your 3 other terminals on the switch.(not the inlet terminal which you refer to as the "isolated terminal").

You could get 12 volts from your accessory 1 breaker or you could run the wire straight from the battery positive terminal and touch each of the 3 terminals mentioned above on the switch.

One terminal is high speed, one is medium and the other is low.

This wire will bypass the switch and the fan will run if the motor is good.

So if the fan runs, the switch is bad

If the fan doesn't run, there's a problem with the motor or it's ground wire.

And last but not least, don't let Pete fool you, my guess is he's Mr. Clause riding in on that fire engine.

It takes some effort to make him look big like Santa but the white hair part is easy

I'm not disagreeing with anything Pete has told you, it all makes perfect sense. This is just a quick easy check for you since you are as you have said "not too good with a VOM".
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Hi Tom
Your "isolated terminal" is power into the switch like Pete has said.
It sounds like you have 12 volts there and at your accessory 1 breaker.based on what you've posted already

Ken,
Originally posted by tjs1295 tjs1295 wrote:

The only time I saw a reading (which was 12.1 volts) was with the switch in the off position on the isolated terminal. .

Tom has mentioned no volts at the switch supply when the switch is turned to any of the speeds twice so, I'm taking him upstream to testing the breaker and I have mentioned checking connections. I have a feeling with an applied load, a bad connection or bad contacts in the breaker is pulling the volts down.

BTW, I might have to make a "house call" on this one!! And, I won't be coming down a chimney!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 11:30am
I did warn everyone that you would have to talk to me like I'm in kindergarten when it comes to electrical stuff. To say that I'm not very good with the VOM is an understatement! So far though, I'm learning. I understand your test, and will give that a try as well when I get home this afternoon. You might be right about Pete being Santa. That's probably why they didn't show any footage on TV. A skinny Santa might disappoint a lot of the kids out there.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 11:43am
You only got 12V once because it looks like you are measuring across the contacts of the switch,
If you put one lead on the incoming (isolated terminal) and the other on any of the three outgoing leads (to the fan) you should get 12V to ground on the isolated one, and 0 on all the others when you put the switch in one of the running positions. If you are measuring each outgoing terminal to ground you should see 0V to ground on the three outgoing terminals with the switch in OFF and 12V to ground on each terminal when the switch is in the position that corresponds to that terminal but you will see 0 Volts between the isolated terminal and the selected terminal because you are now looking at the voltage drop across the contact instead of seeing if power is actually there or not. If you are looking for the presence of power at a location in the circuit always measure between the circuit and a good ground. After you find out where the volts disappear you can start measuring across contacts, and connections to see what part is bad.

When the switch if off you have 12V on the incoming power line, when the switch is in any other position that contact for that speed is closed and you will have 12V minus any contact resistance. ie if you put the switch in low and measure from incoming terminal to the low speed terminal you now have a reading of 0V between the incoming lead and low speed lead because you are measuring across the contact in the switch. If you measure from the low speed terminal to ground you will now have 12V.   

You need to measure from each terminal to ground (which I think you already did.) It looks like you have 12V going to the motor from the switch so there is either a really bad ground connection, an open circuit in the unit itself, or the motor is bad. Since it doesn't work in any speed my bet would be on a bad ground connection.

If you measure 12V to a good ground with the switch off, and then move the switch to any running position and that voltage drops way down it could indicate a bad power side connection (high resistance hot side connection somewhere. If it doesn't change at all then its an open circuit somewhere after the switch.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 12:00pm
Tom

Your best bet is to let Pete make a house call since he's basically right in the neighborhood.

Mark's explanation and diagnosis makes perfect sense too because from what I could decipher it seems like you have 12 volts thru the switch to the motor. His explanation is a little above your self described "kindergarten" level though

Let's hope it's a bad ground connection. or a bad connection on the supply side that won't pass current under load.

By the way, if Pete shows up dressed as Santa, pictures are definitely needed.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 12:19pm
You are seeing 12V on all the outgoing leads because the motor only has 2 connections (line and ground) and the voltage (but no current) from one closed contact is back feeding back up to the other two open contacts in the switch. The switch contains 2 different resistors and one direct connection that limits the current flow to the fan (and/or drops the available voltage) to give you the three different fan speeds.

Think of the switch as 3 different sized pipes with valves in them. The pipes are 2 4 and 6 inches in diameter all sitting on the ground next to one another connected to the bottom of a water tank. You fill the tank quickest from the 6" pipe but all the pipes or full of water on the back side of the valves. That's why the switch contacts all show the same voltage when any one of them are closed.

Your switch is working properly, and you have 12V through the switch. Add a temporary jumper wire from the ground wife all the way back to the negative terminal on the battery and see if that works.

Is there an inline fuse that could have blown or reset button on the blower itself?
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 12:27pm
I might need a house call at some point, but the boat is a little further from Pete during the winter than summer. It's in Merrill right now, and the heater isn't an emergency. So, unless you're in the area Pete I'll keep trying myself. But, come spring I might ask for a house call. I follow some of what Mark is saying, especially the part about measuring from ground to terminals, and how a bad ground might be part of the problem. I'm planning to do the following this afternoon.
1. Try the bypass method to see if the blower works.
2. Test at the breaker.
3. Clean up the ground connection. It did look pretty bad compared to all the other wires and connections behind the dash.
Is that a good start?
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 12:30pm
I was typing as you responded Mark. I'll have to look for an inline fuse, or reset button.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 12:40pm
Tom,
Sounds like a plan. Yup, I doubt you'll need the boat and it's heater for a few months although, the warm weather we had yesterday did open up some of the lakes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

You only got 12V once because it looks like you are measuring across the contacts of the switch,

Tom wouldn't get any voltage reading at anytime if he was measuring across the switch contacts!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 1:40pm

The switch contains 2 different resistors and one direct connection that limits the current flow to the fan (and/or drops the available voltage) to give you the three different fan speeds.

There are NO resistors in the switch!! The switch simply sends power to 3 different motor windings!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 2:47pm
Having 3 different windings in a DC motor is a very expensive way to control the speed of a motor, Maybe that's why heatercraft charges so much for their hardware. All DC fan motors similar to the ones used in cars up until the automatic ventilation systems with PWM fan control were done with 2 or 3 parallel resistors in either the armature, or field wiring to control the current to one of these sets of windings. The more resistance added to the armature windings tend to slow the motor down, and the inverse happens when resistors are added to the field wiring. Almost all small DC motors use the Armature winding scheme to control speed. Direct connection, full speed, high resistance slow speed.   If the resistors are not in the switch then they are inside the box where the Fan motor resides, at the other end of the wiring.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 4:04pm

The switch contains 2 different resistors .

Mark,
Here's your two ceramic resistors in the air flow of the blower itself for cooling. There's NO way a tiny SP4T switch could house resistors plus cool them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2017 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The switch contains 2 different resistors .

Mark,
Here's your two ceramic resistors in the air flow of the blower itself for cooling. There's NO way a tiny SP4T switch could house resistors plus cool them.

So Pete

This must be your funny way of saying that the motor doesn't have 3 different windings like you thought and like Mark said it has 2 resistors . One for low speed and one for medium speed and nothing needed for high speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic