NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cold weather pondering-hull design '70's SN

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold weather pondering-hull design '70's SN
    Posted: November-29-2017 at 12:45am
Have a chance to screw around with (or screw up) an '82 SN hull.
Chatting over beers discussing hull shape and resultant wake shape.
Question: what part of the hull is most responsible for the wake shape?
Forgiving the bow and perhaps the 1st 3rd of the hull, is the middle impactful or just the rear-most portion?
Thinking of 'filling in' the rear side scallops, and removing the keel 'v' from prop shaft back.
Wondering how this will affect the wakes.....
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 12:47am
Oops. Meant 80's SN.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 12:57am
The thread title may be appropriate, lol.

I would recommend studying older and newer SN hulls relative to the one you’re considering modifying. Also familiarize yourself with how the different generation hulls handle and ski. You might find that the modifications you’re considering would be a step backwards in terms of hull evolution rather than a step forwards.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 8:29am
Sounds like something I would do!

However, I usually end up with a dog that won't hunt, after pouring considerable money & time into it.

I'd just glue on some wood strips (5200 works good) & try it before doing massive fiberglass work.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 9:31am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Sounds like something I would do!.

Me too.

I say just do it
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 10:18am
Coming from someone that has been There and done that I would leave it alone and find something more productive to do. Again working in the Engineering Dept and now a corporate field tech at Nautique boat's/Correct Craft now for over 25 years seeing post's like this scare me.
The Inboard boat is a fine balance of executed Genius. The problem when modifying the bottom of an inboard is you have no clue of what you are doing and results could be catastrophic! We don't like to use words like chine lock, rudder stall and misbehaving. If you are looking to make a bigger wake for wake-boarding use water bags or other known weight bags. If you are looking to make a better surf wake there are many after market devices that enhance the surf wake. If you are looking for a better slalom boat then get a modern slalom boat.
Hopefully this sinks in and you and your family and fellow boaters do not get put in a compromising position due to Blind experimentation.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 12:48pm
So that's a no, then........ :)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 12:58pm
And Brian, don't even think about messing with the X55 bottom especially the steps. If you don't know already, there' was a patent on the hull

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 1:46pm
How old is that patent? Is he selling his hull design? Wtf
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 3:21pm
Someone jump on that patent if it is timed out. Lots of money to be made there.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 3:35pm
The patent "BalanStern" & "Stepless-hydro hull" was in the early 60's. when Dunphy used it to made the X55's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

The only problem is finding authentic contaminated mahogany plywood. That is if you want to keep it original
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 4:08pm
I think M/W should combine features of an 82 2001 and a Dunphy.

He could call it a Dunph Nautique or maybe a Ski Dunphtique.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 4:13pm
Make it a Wood/Glass hybrid.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 4:48pm
I got to think that messing with the hull is not nearly hazardous as increasing the factory hp by 50%-75%.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 4:53pm

Make it a Wood/Glass hybrid.

In that case I'd use the Kanye West system to tart it up a bit
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I got to think that messing with the hull is not nearly hazardous as increasing the factory hp by 50%-75%.

Extra hp won’t cause bad behavior at normal (stock equivalent) speeds like a hull modification might.

I am not afraid of modifying a hull but it’s not something to be taken lightly. It would probably help to understand the purpose of certain hull features before adding, eliminating or changing them.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Extra hp won’t cause bad behavior at normal (stock equivalent) speeds like a hull modification might.

Are you saying "Just because you have the horse power you don't have to use it"? .
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 6:24pm

Are you saying "Just because you have the horse power you don't have to use it"? .

Yup, all the work on the engine and never a WOT!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 6:32pm
I’m saying I’d rather have a 55mph boat that might behave badly at the limit than a 45mph boat that might go up on shore in the slalom course. Presumably boats with engine modifications are still used to ski at normal speeds... I know mine are.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

And Brian, don't even think about messing with the X55 bottom especially the steps. If you don't know already, there' was a patent on the hull

Pete, I swear, your bottom is safe with me....or from me.

I spent good money to have the bottom, keel, stringers, and a few questionable frames redone by a renowned Tahoe builder.
I'm convinced the Dunphy ski wakes are better than SN up through the 196 at least.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Pete, I swear, your bottom is safe with me....or from me.

I spent good money to have the bottom, keel, stringers, and a few questionable frames redone by a renowned Tahoe builder.
I'm convinced the Dunphy ski wakes are better than SN up through the 196 at least.

Brian,
Yup, the ski wake of the X has been notorious at least in this area for years. The countless times compliments have been made go back to the mid 60's when the X first came out. Our local ski club even had one as their tow for around 8 years. I believe it's the steps at the aft that flattens the wake so much. I'd say it's even better than a 196!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 6:58pm
Oh boy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 7:00pm

Oh boy.

"Oh boy" what??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 7:16pm
Not even December yet,whats going to happen between now and June when the ice finally melts?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 7:32pm
It's a world class tubing wake that Pete's talking about here.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 7:50pm

boat that might go up on shore in the slalom course.

Someone put the course too close to shore
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

The only problem is finding authentic contaminated mahogany plywood. That is if you want to keep it original

Good one!!

I managed to replicate the original mahogany mold strain in a petri dish, and introduced it into the new wood prior to assembly, so it can come apart as if it's 1965......... :)
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 12:47pm
I thought this thread was about modification of 80's Fiberglass CC hull's not floating furniture!
LOL!!!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

The problem when modifying the bottom of an inboard is you have no clue of what you are doing and results could be catastrophic!

Truer words were never spoken.   A small change can make a huge difference.
Start with taping paint stir sticks along the transom bottom and see what difference it makes Feel sure it will surprise you, it did me!!
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic