Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reskinning Comming Pads

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reskinning Comming Pads
    Posted: November-29-2017 at 4:35am
First I want to thank Christine's for my wonderful skins....probably one of the last off the line....I hope you heal well and quickly, and thanks for your dedication to our interiors!

Question to to the forum....

1) what tricks have you used or learned when changing comming pad skins?

2) what is the best way to install the speakers in the new pads?

Does anyone have a video of them installing the skins?

Thanks in advance!
Otto
RichK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 7:13pm
I recently did my 1995. With the old interior, mark the backing where the seams are located. This will help get the position the new skins.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 1:12am
Christopher,
I had a local shop reskin mine during my total restoration. I do have some experience, though. I removed the coming pads and then removed the skin and the contoured foam. I cut new marine grade plywood to-shape using the old as a template. They were longer than 8', therefore I had to splice to get the required length. I sealed them, installed new fasteners, and then reglued the foam to the plywood using 3M glue which is only necessary. to hold the foam on until the skin is installed. Then I took them to the upholstery shop for the skin installation. You can skip through my thread, linked below, to see more.

My advice is only this: If you have a pattern, such as a diamond sewn profile, or vertical lines, etc., make sure that the port and starboard sides match as far as where they begin and end. I, very sadly, notice things like that. If you are doing it yourself make sure you use stainless staples. I have heard that some folks wrap the foam in plastic, but if you are reusing the original foam it probably doesn't matter since it is a hight quality foam that drains well. Finally, it should go without saying that you should use high quality stainless fasteners to reinstall them.
1980 Rebuild
Diary
Signpainter, Disaster Responder, Longline Barefooter
RichK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 12:03pm
Watauga brings up a good point.

I forgot about the wrapping in plastic. I used my old foam, and it is still a good idea. It provides slippage between the skin and foam and helps a lot. Since you are only doing a couple of pieces, I would just use some of the plastic sheeting from going to the dry cleaners. It need not be perfect at all. I purchased official stuff, and that's what it feels like.

And yes, definitely use stainless staples. I purchased a air staple gun for the job.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 12:11pm
Yes, and if you don't already have a stapler you might consider the Surebonder 9600A from Amazon. You can also get your stainless staples there while you are at it. Always looking for a reason to purchase new tools.
1980 Rebuild
Diary
Signpainter, Disaster Responder, Longline Barefooter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic