Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Megasquirt your Ski Nautique Pro Boss GT40 project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Megasquirt your Ski Nautique Pro Boss GT40 project

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Peter6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Megasquirt your Ski Nautique Pro Boss GT40 project
    Posted: December-08-2017 at 5:05pm
My 1999 Ski Nautique never had stable idle to begin with and being a barfooter I was also looking for a bit more speed. After troubleshooting and some research I decided to get rid of the old Ford EFI.

I settled on a Megasquirt MX3X to do the job. This required quite some research and I figured I share my findings just in case somebody needs to replace an ECU Computer or is interested in engine tuning.

My starting point is a Ford 5.8 351W GT40 engine with multi point fuel injection and distributor. It uses a Ford TFI ignition system with computer controlled dwell (CCD) for ignition and batch fire for the 8 fuel injectors (fires 4 injectors at ones)

I planned a step by step conversion as follows:

1. Add 2 O2 sensors, without tuning is nearly impossible Done this, Also showed me the reason for the unstable idle way to lean around 15 AFR

2. Assemble and test the MX3X, my background is in electronics so I’m good with a soldering iron. Took about 20h to complete.

3. Build adapter to Ford 60pin to MX3X, done I used a junk yard CPU to get the connector

4.Test MX3X and start tuning, this was somehow easy and took me about 10h to get the engine start, warm up and idle stable. This already fixed the Idle problem by tuning AFR down to 12 at idle.

5. Convert to sequential fuel injection, had to build a new harness for the fuel injectors, install a crank trigger wheel and a cam sensor (in distributor), but the results are incredible. Tuning it with the sequential fuel injection provided even better idle can now go down to 600 rpm no problem. Unfortunately winter got in the way no drive testing possible.

6. Not done jet, convert from distributer to coil on plug, and change from MAP to MAF

I have collected a good amount of documentation if you interested let me know I can share it in a Dropbox.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2017 at 6:18pm
A lot of guys would probably be interested in the cost of that adapter for the 02 sensor to tune carb boats.

Sounds like a lot of work and research.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2017 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

A lot of guys would probably be interested in the cost of that adapter for the 02 sensor to tune carb boats. .

Looks like an ideal part for Duane to machine up!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2017 at 9:34pm
Great engineering!

You should sell kits.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2017 at 9:39pm
So, it would be super easy now to bolt a blower on top and still have a civilized engine off-load.. right?
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Peter6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2017 at 12:15pm
These O2 sensor plates where actual hard to find. I got them off eBay not sure if there are more the 2 available. The guy had them machined and then did not use them. I paid $120 for both.
I also ask a local machine shop to make them it would have been around $500 for 2 but if there is interest in more the 2 the price would drop.
I can also contact the the guy selling them to me and see if he can produce a few more if there is interest.

The O2 sensors them self are:
Innovate Motorsports LC2 Digital Wideband O2 Sensor Controller Kit's
The are about $180 a piece but i wanted high quality considering the marine environment.
I also got a simple dash gauge to actually reed the AFR.

http://www.emnotek.com/p-4689-innovate-motorsports-lc2-digital-wideband-lambda-o2-sensor-controller-kit.aspx?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsK7RBRDzARIsAM2pTZ9vQ2xYLoPUOxsMR_WzKwxYVYgfLCfx03z94X9qKSDMHb6VD2jpb8waAvuTEALw_wcB

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/innovate-db-gauge-only-blue-3793/

With the sensor installed I noticed to lean fuel mixture in idle, To prove the point I installed a adjustable fuel pressure regulator and added fuel pressure to. I set AFR to around 12 and my idle was way better. However my top speed dropped due mixture being to rich at high rpm now.

and to answer "baitkillere's" question, yes a blower would be possible maybe a project for the next winter season. We have these here in Virginia.

Peter
Peter6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2017 at 12:21pm
here a few more pictures

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

A lot of guys would probably be interested in the cost of that adapter for the 02 sensor to tune carb boats. .

Looks like an ideal part for Duane to machine up!!!

Call now and receive a second one for free, just pay postage and handling.
Operators are standing by
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Peter6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2017 at 2:05pm
I contact the guy I got them from and ask for the price of 3 set let see what happens,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic