Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Twin Turbo Big Block Marine Chryslers - 440 M&W Ge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Twin Turbo Big Block Marine Chryslers - 440 M&W Ge

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Twin Turbo Big Block Marine Chryslers - 440 M&W Ge
    Posted: December-11-2017 at 12:39am
So Ive been trying to get these bought for a few months...found them on the craigslist in lake of the ozarks while looking for a 440 marine engine as a platform for the twin turbo kit I got from Bill K on ccfan a few years ago. They finally got pulled out of the 42 foot cruiser they originally came in this week so I rented me a truck and got down there on the double qUick.

Got the on a couple cradles and loaded into the rental

There was a little squat but thats 880 cubic inches of cool

2100 miles and 45 hours round trip and they are back in the shop ...

So there is a right and a left, in theory they are both running engines and basically complete, no final plans on what boats are going to end up in or if the left one is going to stay left handed
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 5:51am
Dont be stingy, donate on for my bfn project! Lol lol
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 9:19am
Great score! Are those air boxes fit over an ordinary AFB?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 9:49am
Those are nice. Just hope you don't buy a Blackfin or two and end up with an escalation of Blackfin speed runs
Any idea of adversed hp ? How did the truck drive with that weight?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 10:34am
WOW !!!!!!!!!!! You are going to have to widen and raise the dog house.

Nice find. Very fitting you used a Mopar truck to pick up those Mopar Motors. No pressure, but we are expecting some winter eye candy on this project.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 10:39am
Following.....I have been jokingly pestering Joe for a while about when he may get that turbo setup running. I guess the joke is on me now. Heck, Why not have two twin turbo big block Chrysler motors in your shop?!! Way to go Joe!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 10:46am
Very Cool Joe, I love these rare odd ball set ups.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 10:47am
4 turbos whining at once must have been quite the gearhead concert!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 10:59am
Joe,
Very interesting to say the least!! Fill us in when you come up with more specifics on what you think you'll do with them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 11:31am
Cool! Cant wait to see where these end up.
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 12:22pm
A little more info, M&W Gear advertised and sold kits to convert to twin turbo many popular inboard motors from the early 70s through the mid eighties. They advertised them as increasing power and fuel economy, with increases in hp between 15 and 20% over stock. M&W was more well known for turbo kits for tractors, where the increased hp could increase productivity and sold relatively well. I have seen probably a dozen M&W turbo tractors at tractor shows over the years and many more online but the only 3 marine sets I have ever seen in person are all in my shop right now, online searching has shown a few others being traded at some point.   I suspect they sold a fair amount of them over years, maybe more to big relatively underpowered cruisers like the one these came out of, not too many of those make it onto the boat show circuit.

I’ve the one set from Bill for a few years now, it has a much cleaner elbow setup for the turbos than these, and I have found the original patent drawings online that show most of the plumbing but figuring out the oiling circuit and the best way to get boost referenced fuel to the carb and whether or not the carb had been significantly changed was probably going to cause a breakdown or two along the way – getting two running ones completely setup should eliminate a bunch of the learning curve. These are pretty common rajay turbos, M&W gave them water jacketed housings and added the plumbing for exhaust/air/oil. I think I have all the hard to get parts ( will still need another healthy 440 bottom end) to make 3 RH twin turbo 440s in my possession at this point,

The turbos will drop down at least 4 inches on these ones, the other kit will keep them lower than the carb box and inside of the manifolds.   Goals for this year is to assess internal health and probably drop one or both into an ugly but functional 20ft 73 marauder and see if they run out. Long term the one I keep is intended to end up in a blue 1970 19ft marauder that right now needs everything.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2017 at 12:13pm
Very interested to follow this Joe, I love the way you jump in the truck and drive wherever you have to drive to to keep the cool projects going!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2017 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Long term the one I keep is intended to end up in a blue 1970 19ft marauder that right now needs everything.   

Come on, Joe! The Marauder 19 will be plenty happy with a stock 440....I was hoping you'd say we'll get to see a twin screw, twin turbo Buckskin Beauty at the 2020 SJRR!!

Kidding aside, nice find. Thanks for having the patience and persistence to chase down these rare projects and educating us common folk. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2017 at 7:12pm
The really crazy thing (to me) is that I would bet you $5 and nice tuna samich that Joe could have at least of these lit up and running just fine in his driveway by the weekend. Maybe both.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 11:13am
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Joe could have at least of these lit up and running just fine in his driveway by the weekend. Maybe both.

I thought about it, but its too cold and I would have to rewinterize them. These engines were in a boat running 7 days ago so the hope is that there is minimal work to get them up and going. There are just a couple small projects to clear out of the garage at the moment, then I would like to do a compression/leakdown test on these engines before giving any thought to the next steps...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 11:33am
I am assuming that the 330 on the valve covers is before the turbo treatment. Got any ideas on how many pounds of boost it will make??   Sounds like a fun project.   Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 12:15pm
Good find
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

I am assuming that the 330 on the valve covers is before the turbo treatment. Got any ideas on how many pounds of boost it will make??   Sounds like a fun project.   Duane

Yes the engines were 330 hp stock I haven’t seen the documentation for the Chrysler kits, but general advertising claimed upto 25% increase. I have seen Small block chevy kits they were selling that they indicated 15-20% increase in hp, depending on engine application. I doubt there is much boost, I am guessing 6-7 psi and that 400hp might be a legit number to put on the valve covers.   More could be gotten with a modern set of heads and an intake but would lack the super vintage twin turbo cool factor…
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 1:24pm
Very big cool-factor project. I haven’t heard Rajay since I worked on aircraft engines in the early 80’s. You’ve got some very rare iron there. It would be fun to see the end product. Love those old Mopar big blocks. They were fun to sit behind in all of those 70’s Darts, Demons and Coronets we had in our family.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 7:00pm
How do they work? Are they fuel injection or is there are carburetor inside the box? They must improve low end power and torque as they were in a cabin cruiser? Does the redline increase from stock?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 7:05pm
Carb in box Bruce. Carburetors operate based on atmospheric pressure. If you were applying more pressure to the venturi of the carburetor and not the other points that leak air it would throw the pressure/vacuum differential out of wack and make them not operate.

Joe said these kits were to increase operating efficiency and increase power at operating speeds. Turbos generally dont increase low end a ton because they need some exhaust flow and load to get spun up then the power comes. Modern turbos get around the lag pretty handily but likely not these.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 7:11pm
Sounds like that Buckskin Beauty is the boat for one of them.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 7:16pm
I can’t wait to hear one of them go WOT under load and hear the turbos come online. I would imagine the turbos probably run out of steam up top but the acceleration when they light will be fantastic. Probably motors for a nice big prop.   
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 1:50am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I am guessing 6-7 psi and that 400hp might be a legit number to put on the valve covers.

Would be fun to have a boost gauge, easy to do but not sure there is an empty spot on the dash for one.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 9:02am
When the setup was in my marauder they just put a boost gauge on the dash in the right hand corner under the windshield. Not ideal as far as eye appeal but I'm sure it was fun to look at!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 9:06am
Great find! Can't believe that trip you took to get hem. Lots of miles! Fun project.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 10:49am
For sure there will be a boost guage somewhere...

Some old docs....

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 11:36am
Although I'll bet M&G are long gone from Gibson City that is in Todd Weitekamps neck of the woods. Wonder if he knows anything about them
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 11:52am
Oooo, Cat 3208 motors.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 12:00pm
M&W are gone for sure, there is a company selling parts and tractor kits still, and a company that sells parts and turbos for the airplanes that used Rajay turbos, but nobody supporting the marine kits that I have found. Tractor dealers used to the stock the turbo kits for tractors so there are some NOS parts around, but it seems most of the boat stuff was sold direct.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic