NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Materials for Stringer Rehab

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Gneil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 12:46pm
Yes, so sorry for the mix-up. Tim and joe seem to be synonymous with coosa builds in this forum.

still a newbie...
G. Neil
1980 SN
Gneil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 12:40pm
oops, I forgot to mention Joe. I think I got him confused with Tim. Sorry guys. Ive been devouring your treads and got a few mixed up. Joe's coosa stringer build is a bar well placed. I wonder if the coosa would support an 440 turbo arrangement?
G. Neil
1980 SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 12:35pm
You may be confusing the players as JoeinNY and I are about 4.5hrs apart.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16014
Gneil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 12:32pm
ps.... I've tried to post some images, without success. not sure whats up yet. I will keep trying as i know ill never make it to Grand Poobah without some good quality pics for the crew. any tips there?
G. Neil
1980 SN
Gneil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 12:24pm
Yes, Indeed! I lost some sleep last night reading Tim's treads. Loved them and learned a lot. His treads brought me back to my CNY lake where i grew up and where i still visit family. A great series of comments and advice from the CCF community. Cheers!
G. Neil
1980 SN
Gneil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 12:20pm
Ok, here is another idea....(slightly off topic)

Dust collection during the stringer demo and prep. Has anyone heard of grinding and sanding with water?

I know this may sound obvious (gel coat wet sanding on the exterior) or even ironic, but the boat is a sort of bowl and the waste could be concentrated in a container for disposal with a simple filtering sys. also it might help with the itchy factor and clean-up could be managed on an ongoing basis.

Any thoughts?
G. Neil
1980 SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 12:12pm
Nothing wrong with dreaming Greg. Joe and Tim are the go to guys on Coosa builds. Not sure if Tim had a thread on his or not,I would be surprised if there wasn't. Someone will point you in the right direction.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gneil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 12:06pm
... I'm sure i will bow down to your sage advise and well thought wisdom in the months to come. Thank you!!
G. Neil
1980 SN
Gneil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 12:04pm
Hi Guys,

Great quote on the crisp 20"s. I have less of those and more of the time and craftsmanship required no matter the materials. so If only to satisfy my curiosity i feel i need to at least dream of a world where everything is possible. Ha...
G. Neil
1980 SN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I think it would be overkill. Look how long they lasted originally with what CC used. Use quality conventional materials along with the Coosa and quality workmanship and you'd be good to go IMHO. Either that or just do the glass build up with nice crisp 20's

I too feel Kevlar and carbon would be overkill. Glass and epoxy would be my choice plus less expensive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 11:49am
I think it would be overkill. Look how long they lasted originally with what CC used. Use quality conventional materials along with the Coosa and quality workmanship and you'd be good to go IMHO. Either that or just do the glass build up with nice crisp 20's
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 11:27am
You could call US Composites, which sells such materials. They might be able to provide assistance.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gneil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2017 at 10:12am
Hey guys,
Im new to the group and have been loving the conversations through the forums. Thank you!

I recently picked up an SN '80 with less than 1K hours, and considering the age, its in good shape. As most of the early fiberglass SN its likely that ill be doing a stringer job in the near future. With this in mind, Im currently doing some research into Coosa board as a substitute for doug fur stringers. I've read many forums and understand the different arguments pro and con. One topic i haven't seen is the one where modern materials like Coosa are used with carbon fiber or kevlar. Any thoughts in this direction?

Additionally, I'm interested in fully documenting my rehab and recording the updates and improvements including pattern making for the stringers and related bulkheads. unless i can buy them form a reliable source. Any one know of such a thing? As I've worked in the design field for the past 25+ years, I'm computer capable. (CAD Sketch-up etc.)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

G. Neil
1980 SN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic