NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1990 BFN

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2017 at 2:32pm
Thanks dudes. Pete/Duane/Ken. The trans operates wonderfully aside from the dirty neutral. Planning on just clutch/plate replacement and associated seals. It has around 850 hours. Silky smooth with the acme on it.

Will be picking up and Angola cover and a 430 of my own. Motor had a recent carb build by a very reputable shop in Indy. Thanks to Brad Harper I have an awesome Mallory dizzy to drop in until I spend cash on a DUI setup. Trailer is decent but needs things like carpet/steps/tires/lights etc.

It’s got a few chips and scratches I think I can handle with sanding and some patch
paste.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2017 at 4:01pm
Marinetex and good to go.
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2017 at 10:38pm

That's a great looking BFN!
This is the one I picked up in the spring. Still working out a few bugs but she pulls hard!
I think we need to have a BFN reunion!
Old school goin back to school!
Jay SE IN. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay SE IN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2017 at 3:09pm
My half arsed tranny "rebuild" is doing fine! Im too dumb to test the pump with a lawnmower, tho.....
"THESE are the good old days" ( thanks, Dad!)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2017 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Jay SE IN. Jay SE IN. wrote:

My half arsed tranny "rebuild" is doing fine! Im too dumb to test the pump with a lawnmower, tho.....

You got that wrong

It's really "you're not dumb enough to test it with a lawnmower"

The original reason for the lawn mower test rig was to test a used transmission that was said to be good when I got it.

Turned out it was good
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2017 at 12:56am
John, (JDD33) ,

That is a great looking boat you picked up last spring. Very Nice.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2017 at 12:13pm
John, that turd is beautiful! I'm sure Zach is jealous also. Going to need a pull behind that one please!
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2017 at 10:54am
Thanks guys! It will be ready to play hard this summer!
I think I was was the phone call right before Zach and secured it!
Old school goin back to school!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2017 at 11:03am
Ha,, that was totally on my Radar. Little far from me and just about a month too early.

Honestly, I didn't even consider myself in then market for a BFN for about 2 more years but when nice BFN pops up locally you sort of have to make it work.
Toeboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toeboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2017 at 3:08pm
Zach, nice find! You'll enjoy it for sure.
A side question, did that BFN you guys had at N3 ever get the 409 swap a few years back? If so how'd it turn out?
Toeboat

89 BFN w/454 bought new and still love it.
06 Ski Nautique w/ZR6
72 Promo
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2017 at 4:23pm
It turned out very nice from what I saw if you like that style. Colors looked great. It was stupid fast, Turned a 668 5600 rpms at 56 mph on the rev limiter and got there in a hurry. If there were a prop with just a little more pitch I would guess it would be a 58 mph boat or so.

Really good engine selection for that hull.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 1:47pm
OK guys, here with the virus/working from home I thought I would take a little time to update the BFN project. While it was a very nice starting point the Gel was in much worse shape than originally thought.

We spent this winter sanding and buffing rubrail down to the chines. Photos below of before and after stuff. We took it down to many aggressive 320 passes to get all the yellowing out of the blue. Some still on the stbd but you can't really see it in natural light. Would have continued on but I found a thin spot in the blue on the port and didn't want to continue sanding aggressively.

Since it was the "Brochure" scheme for 1990 we stuck with the grey/white decal theme. I was able to get the colors of the pin stripes matched exactly and got a company to do a run of the proper sized pinstripe although it cost me.

The transmission had very dirty neutral but otherwise operated flawlessly. The plan was to throw in clutches and seals but I happened upon a supposed new old stock 72c locally. Cool story behind it. The owner (now 85 years old) was building California style V drive boats back in the mid to late 70s. He never built the last boat that someone had ordered and the transmission was never installed or painted etc. I cleaned it up and swapped the pump for RH rotation. We just fired it up this weekend with no dirty neutral and it goes out of gear perfectly fine. A test drive will tell the full story but it sounds good as is!

Despite the looks and the transmission condition we put somewhere around 80-100 hours on it last season so it is getting some good use. Matter of fact, the brown 85 didn't even touch the water last season.

Anywho, check out then progress photos below.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 1:48pm
Photos are a struggle using my girlfriend's chrome book. I don't know how these things can be qualified as a functional computer.

tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 2:10pm
Love the pic with the Before and after gel. When you talk about thin spots that’s a sign of resolve. Maybe a time to get a waterline cover if you’re gonna leave it outside at all. Can’t wait to see the photos with new decals and pinstripe. This site is like one of those reality TV restoration shows except we don’t have to wait for the big finish—we get to see all of the wonder that goes on beforehand.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 2:25pm

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Since it was the "Brochure" scheme for 1990 we stuck with the grey/white decal theme. I was able to get the colors of the pin stripes matched exactly and got a company to do a run of the proper sized pinstripe although it cost me.

Zach....Nice looking old barefoot. You got it looking good. If not mistaken, I "think" that the original brochure from back in the day "may" have been done with some Indiana Correct Craft royalty.

I "think" that was one of the O'Malia boys (Randy??), and his crew in that boat. Any chance your boat IS that boat? I "think" O'Malia was the guy that opened Morse Lake Inboards in up Cicero in the '80's which was a CC dealer. Morse Lake also produced a local "boy wonder" skiing and tubing champeen in the mid/late 60's behind his dads 14' Chryzler w/110 Merc Tower on it. I forget his name now.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 2:57pm
Either way you must bring the mustache back to complete the restoration.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 3:04pm
Thanks Dave, I have heard of those guys but never actually met them. Used to foot a ton back in the day.

This boat was rumored to be that boat in the photos but the build number pretty much kills that chance. It was originally owned by a local guy named Steve Howey.

Growing out my corona beard and will shave into mustache when finished with the BFN.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 3:15pm
I just remembered I had the 1990 CC brochure in my collection of car, truck, motorcycle, and boat "stuff". I also just remembered seeing a quote from Randy O'Malia on this boat in that brochure. I can't remember what I had for breakfast, but, I can remember seeing quotes from 30 year old brochures. :)

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 5:12pm
The Boat is looking very nice, remind me not to race you if we see you on the water. I know it would be a 454 but what HP rating is your engine? Sounds like it is really strong.
Mark
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Growing out my corona beard and will shave into mustache when finished with the BFN.

Great looking work Zach,it sure is a surprise when your trying to sand the black spec off and it keeps getting bigger. You have a long way to go with the stash though Hollywood been working a long time on his

Dave you old timer do you remember the Correct Craft Dealer in Cary?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 5:58pm
Looking really nice, Zach. Trailer looks really nice, too. So you are a believer in flaps? I'd like to hear more.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Dave you old timer do you remember the Correct Craft Dealer in Cary?

What's that now young man??? What'd he say??

Gary....I know there was one here back in the day, but, I never was there. Was it Foxfire Marine?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 7:19pm
I think that was the one in Fox Lake
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 7:49pm
Yea that's it Dave. It was in the Quonset hut just north of Kitchen Wholesalers that was torn down a few years ago. His name is Mike Doherty not sure on spelling though. His brother and him live a few houses apart across from the Cary Country Club. They are the 2 with Nautiques if you ever happen to go by. About 1988 when they opened, rumor had it they did it to get themselfs good deals on boats. My friend who got me into CC's worked the summer for them the first year as their mechanic. He grew up in the family gas station business and at the time was the Johnsburg HS auto shop teacher.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 7:51pm
This was kind of an old thread, so I went back and read the whole thing to refresh. In the intervening years, Ken sent me a video clip of his transmission testing set up. Pretty clever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGeiEI6ywmg
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I think that was the one in Fox Lake

That was Cramer Marine.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Yea that's it Dave. It was in the Quonset hut just north of Kitchen Wholesalers that was torn down a few years ago. His name is Mike Doherty not sure on spelling though. His brother and him live a few houses apart across from the Cary Country Club. They are the 2 with Nautiques if you ever happen to go by. About 1988 when they opened, rumor had it they did it to get themselfs good deals on boats. My friend who got me into CC's worked the summer for them the first year as their mechanic. He grew up in the family gas station business and at the time was the Johnsburg HS auto shop teacher.

Gary....I know that area down by the Cary CC.   I have seen several Correct Craft's down in that area. Weren't they more of a service/repair dealership? Also, didn't they also try their hand with MasterCraft after the CC deal?? I may be crossing up my wires, but, I seem to recall talking to one of the brothers, or mabye someone else about it.

I always like seeing some dude flying up the river in that area in a flashy red/white Nautique Super Sport. I bet the wake would be real nice for skiing behind that boat!!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 9:22pm
I know that guy. He says last year he wished he just threw 100 bucks in the river instead of buying the permit sticker maybe someone who really needed it could have found it. With the mother in law in and out of the hospital and the river being closed,2 hours were put on the boat last year. Don't know about the Mastercraft stuff or about their service/repair. The couple of times I was there my friend had not started helping them yet,they had no one there to do any of that
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 9:47pm
(I'm expecting the next post from either David or Gary to be, "do you remember just down the road from the filling station was that lady Aunt B, and that nice young boy Opie that lived with her and her nephew Andy?")
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

This was kind of an old thread, so I went back and read the whole thing to refresh. In the intervening years, Ken sent me a video clip of his transmission testing set up. Pretty clever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGeiEI6ywmg

Alright Larry, your pickin' on my mower driven test rig has forced me to post a picture of my new semi modern transmission test rig.

It runs on some of that magic modern stuff called electricity

An old 220 volt 3 HP motor and a couple of pulleys that turn the transmission at roughly 850 rpm. (3 HP is way overkill, but it's what I had)

Slap it onto a mount that angles the motor the same as the transmission, use some unistrut for the transmission mounts to slide on and the belt alignment and tension adjustment is a piece of cake.

The mounts are some unistrut pieces and angle iron welded together.

It's all on a piece of plywood mounted on a Harbor Freight dolly

It can test that a transmission goes into Neutral,Forward and Reverse and check operating pressures too.

It can run a righty or a lefty transmission by swapping a couple of wires on the motor.

It's got clear nylon reinforced hose so I can watch the oil circulate

Being really quiet with the electric motor running it, you also hear the noises that the planetary gears make in Reverse

And................I can keep my simple mind occupied for hours on end watching the pulleys go round and round and round and ............well you get it   

Comes in pretty handy to be sure it works before going back in a boat or to see if that used treasure actually works.

Can't really test for slippage but if the pressures are good it's most likely gonna be OK.

Myself, I think it's a marvel of "backyard hackery"

Pete might even agree with the backyard hackery part
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic