NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1990 BFN

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 BFN
    Posted: December-22-2017 at 2:41pm
Hey Fellas, just getting time to post our latest ride. This fall a local guy (knew him from my N3 Days and the river) had for sale a brochure color scheme 90 BFN.

The boat has been maintained mechanically pretty well other than a junk Dizzy and dirty neutral. Structurally and interior wise it's in great shape just needing the observers seat base and drivers seat base replaced.

Winter plans include a transmission rebuild/trailer refurb for function/wet sand buff and decals.

I will update this thread as we make progress but here are some photos from when we picked it up. Sorry they aren't the best.

The motor runs exceptionally well despite having a locked distributor timing mechanism. It went 50.0 on GPS with the tach showing around 4950.00 running Tim's spare 430. GPS confirmed speed by a Garmin Etrex not an I phone app. Mid range and hole shot are so good I would be reluctant to step up to a 1598 for an extra mph up top.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 2:51pm
Hello Fella.

Nice guide pole.

How many phone books to drive?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 2:59pm
3 and one extra I ripped in half.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 3:03pm
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 4:36pm
Very nice boat Zach! Great colors. Looks to be in really nice condition.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 4:40pm
Gotta love a BFN - well done Zach!
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 5:32pm
Have you done a transmission yet??   If needed I can assist. ( I only do a partial rebuild cause I don't know what a full one is yet, still waiting )    Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 5:52pm
Cool! i personally dig the color scheme as well.
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Have you done a transmission yet??   If needed I can assist. ( I only do a partial rebuild cause I don't know what a full one is yet, still waiting )    Duane

Ah.......................A trip down memory lane Duane
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 6:22pm
Sha-weeet. I want one...
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

I only do a partial rebuild cause I don't know what a full one is yet, still waiting

Duane,
I thought we covered it but maybe you missed it. I sure miss things a lot probably due to my ADD!!! Beyond clutch packs, bearings and seals, the only other thing I feel is needed is checking the health of the pump. There are specs on pressure but the trans needs to be assembled and turning to use that. I know Eric used to chuck his rebuilds up in his lathe to check. The only other way is to check pump clearances and I have yet to find Velvet specs on them. I do know with a geared hydraulic pump .0005 at the teeth and the same between the gears and housing is a rule of thumb.

Zach,
Nice!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 6:33pm
Sweet boat Zach. Will look forward to updates and a ride in 2018!
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Eric used to chuck his rebuilds up in his lathe to check.

I hook mine to an old riding mower with a horizontal shaft and an electric clutch.

A splined hub from an old damper plate welded to a pulley and a v belt make things go round.

Depending on where I mount the transmission, I can do righty's and lefty's.

Due to the "hackish" nature of this setup I usually do it in the backyard under a shadetree at night

But.................it works
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 7:42pm
Ken - Do you get the pulley lined up within .003?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 8:02pm
I am looking forward to seeing that boat up here on Deep Lake sometime. Ought to be looking like brand new with your experience and connections!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Probably within 3 inches anyways. Pete would be proud of my alignment job

Rubber belt with a little twist of sorts, it's a good thing I don't have to run it very long to check pressures. Transmission angle is a little funny too, to get things lined up pretty close.

I keep saying I'm going to build a better bracket but I don't use it very often
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Rubber belt with a little twist of sorts, it's a good thing I don't have to run it very long to check pressures. Transmission angle is a little funny too, to get things lined up pretty close.

Chris,
Here's Ken's guide to his 3" alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 9:21pm
I think every one of my boats has some degree of parallel misalignment. I'm a failure, but at least I carry a spare belt with me!

Ken, that setup you describe is awesome!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 9:23pm
And more importantly, congrats Zach!

The frozen timing in the distributor - how it is running that strong without a decent amount of advance? Surprises me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

The frozen timing in the distributor - how it is running that strong without a decent amount of advance? Surprises me.

David,
The way Zach worded the timing problem threw me too. After reading it a couple times, I have a feeling the distributor is frozen in the block rather than the advance mechanism being frozen???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 9:55pm
I don't think it's frozen in the block "locked distributor timing mechanism" I think it's either stuck in full advance or it's stuck in the opposite
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

The motor runs exceptionally well despite having a locked distributor timing mechanism.

Nope, I'd say it's the advance that's frozen.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 9:58pm
Or maybe Zach sits in a jump seat with the motor box off and manually rotates the distributor to get max speed?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 10:31pm

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Chris,
Here's Ken's guide to his 3" alignment.

It's a combination of all 3 of those pictures

And the pulleys are fairly ugly and rusty too
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 10:34pm
Nice Find. I love the color scheme. Does also seem to be in great shape.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2017 at 11:34pm
Well done
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2017 at 1:22am

one extra I ripped in half.

"pics or it didn't happen"

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2017 at 9:10am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

one extra I ripped in half.

"pics or it didn't happen"

Haha!

john
Js
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2017 at 11:17am

Beyond clutch packs, bearings and seals, the only other thing I feel is needed is checking the health of the pump. . The only other way is to check pump clearances and I have yet to find Velvet specs on them.

Spec sheet would be nice but like you, I have not been able to come up with any.
Future thought:   If Zach decides to install a new pump we would be able to check new dim's against used pump dim's. Pumps are really not that expensive. I did do a visual on my pump components and could see no wear marks on gears or housing. ( FWIW).
It would be nice to set up a pressure test fixture to check the relief valve also.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2017 at 12:22pm
She's a beauty Clark.

I want one.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic