Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1998 Nautique SS seat base

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FamilyManCCF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamilyManCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1998 Nautique SS seat base
    Posted: December-27-2017 at 4:02pm
I have a 1998 Nautique Super Sport and the port side rear seat base has cracked. I have removed the upholstery and padding and now I need to make a new seat base. Does anyone know what this material is and where I can source this. It seams like a very heavy duty light weight Styrofoam type material. Any insight as to what this material is or what others have used to replace this would be appreciated. Thanks!

shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2017 at 5:13pm
its pvc board.   
Glue it with pvc glue and lay up a layer of glass and resin over it and keep using it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2017 at 5:33pm
Andrew,
It's expanded PVC. Check your local HD to see if they stock it. We carry it at the Rhinelander Wi. HD but all stores don't have the same inventory. We have it in 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" in 2'x4' sizes. Get one thickness heavier. It would be easier than trying to repair your old one plus, I would question the bond of the fiberglass resin to the PVC.

If you local HD doesn't stock it, it's available on HD's website. This is the 3/4" Shipping to your store would be free.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamilyManCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2017 at 6:03pm
Thank you for the information!
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2017 at 6:49pm
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2017 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by sport1999 sport1999 wrote:

Also available on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JPIBUGQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514411592&sr=8-2-fkmr2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=pvc+3%2F4%22+x+24%22+x+48%22

Careful, PE isn't the same plastic as PVC. It's 3 times the cost plus not the best for stapling upholstery to.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ChristinesMarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristinesMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 5:57am
They make a PVC cement for expanded PVC but regular clear heavy duty PVC pipe cement will work if you apply it liberally on all surfaces and allow it to set at least 24 hours. It actually melts the pieces together and is a very strong repair by itself. If you replace it, keep in mind, if my memory serves me correctly, the board has a bend in it to fit the contour of the base.
Thank you all for the Many Years of Support     
~~~ (Retired) ChristinesMarine ~~~ In God We Trust ~~~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamilyManCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 2:17pm
Thanks. I did pick up the PVC board from Home Depot. The seat base does have a contour to it so my plan was to use a heat gun (taking my time) to heat is slowly and put the contour into the PVC sheet. Once I have the right contour, I would then trace the seat base shape, cut it out and drill the holes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamilyManCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2018 at 10:09pm
Ok, so the heat gun was not effective. I could not get the PVC board hot enough to bend it. I almost started to burn the surface so I had to stop. I then propped up the one end and applied weight to it to get it to bend. In the picture below, I have 2 batteries and a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 filled with paint trying to bend the board. I have had it on there for over a week now and when I remove the weight the board flexes back some and won't keep the bend that I need it to. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to bend the PVC board?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic