Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tahoe 160 buick aluminum block 225

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
smiller1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smiller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tahoe 160 buick aluminum block 225
    Posted: December-29-2017 at 4:21pm
I have recently purchased a 1965 tahoe 160 with a buick 225 aluminum block v8. I am in the process so bring the thing back to life after it has been sitting for 6 to seven years. The boat was restored in 2000 very complete restoration at that time. the boat was painted and has the expected stress cracks but still looks good. I don't think the engine has been tuned up or serviced at all in the last 10 years (not very many hours put on it since restoration).

Most of the things I have run into so far are minor tune up stuff ( carberator, points, plugs, repair transmission cooler, drain gas, oil and filter.)

I can't find and info on the cooling system for this set up it says in the information I can find that it is a fresh water system. does anyone have information regarding how this works and do I need antifreeze in the system?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2017 at 12:05pm
Steve,
The fresh water cooling system in a boat pretty much works just like a car except there's no radiator that is cooled with air but rather a tube in shell heat exchanger that's cooled with water. So, the engine side of the cooling is a closed system and should have antifreeze in it suitable for aluminum. Raw water from the lake is pumped through the heat exchanger to cool the antifreeze. Do a on line search for "marine fresh water cooling" and you should find some diagrams that will explain it better than I can in words.

Welcome to CCfan and we demand pictures!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2017 at 1:28pm
Steve,
Here's a basic fresh water cooling schematic:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2018 at 1:42pm
Come on Steve, We need some pictures!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic