Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Fish Natique owner- T-Top

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skwatr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skwatr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Fish Natique owner- T-Top
    Posted: December-30-2017 at 5:58pm

Greetings and Happy New Beer to all.

I purchased this 1977 Fish Natique from a friend a several months ago.

After I drooled over this mega sexy vessel for a few years he reached his breaking point.
The engine was making a "bad noise from inside the engine" and he had oil in the bilge.
It sounded exactly like a hole in the oil pan. It was.

I had a spare marine 5.7 on an engine stand in my shop for years and offered to sell him my engine cheap. I wound up buying the boat and trailer.

My super easy engine swap turned into a new crate motor from Cuba / S. Florida, same thing.

A couple hundred man hours and waiting for parts, I am ready to test fire the new engine on a run up stand then drop it inn to meet up with my buddies at sea tow. I miss those guys.

I went to Boone High School and drove by the old Correct Craft factory for years. Skied on Lake Conway forever and have never heard of or seen a Fish Natique. How can this be?

I am trying to gather as much information as possible about these boats. This forum has been fantastic and I look forward to sharing pics of my restoration.

While researching this boat I came across a thread from a Marine who had years of posts about his restoration project. In one of his posts he mentioned selling a kidney to complete his project. I liked him already and called him. Winds up he still had the T-Top and was about 30 minutes from my compound. I loaded up a scalpel and a cooler of ice and met him in the swamp. He gave me a fair price and I bought the T-Top and outriggers. he had sold the boat a few months ago. Seeing as how I am probably the only person left in the world who was in the market for a custom made T-Top for a 1977 Fish Natique, it was a perfect match

I am trying to figure out how to mount the T-Top through the deck? The previous owner used wood screws. I want to used bolts large washers and lock nuts. There does not appear to have any under deck access? I might have to cut an access hole and install an access plate on both sides of the center console? Probably in the engine compartment on either side of the exhaust manifolds. Being close to a heat source, it would have to have a metal access plate? don't know how well the store bought plastic ones would hold up in this location? What is under the deck? is it filled with foam?

Any advise on loading pictures is appreciated. I seem to have problems viewing photo bucket images on this site.

PS. I found Ernest Hemingways beloved Pilar. Its in Cuba, not Key West.

All the Best
Finn
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2017 at 8:30pm
You seem to have figured out how to load pictures since there are some in your post

Here is how to see the photobucket pictures on this and other sites too. Click on the link below.

photobucket fix

Must be on the left coast of Florida or you have your coasts of the US mixed up.

How'd the kidney surgery go?

But anyways............welcome to CCF
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2017 at 10:55pm
Yoew muste bee in engeneer. It's "Nautique", just like it says on the side. Nice Boat.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2017 at 9:53am
Welcome aboard Robert. Time in Guantanamo?
You come to the right place for help. Is it now running? Nice looking pictures.
That's a pretty amusing tale that you were right down the street from CC, at Boone and did not know of a Fish Tique! I'm up the road from Boone, Apopka. Have lotsa friends that went to Boone. They had a great Baseball program back when. Pletka's? MacGillivray?
Js
NautiqueJeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2017 at 8:50pm
Congrats on the Fish Nautique! I love those old beasts. That T-top is a good find. I wish I had come across it. It would go well on the boat I am restoring right now.

Post up some more pictures of yours. I have two Fish Nautiques right now (an '86 and an '81 twin-engine) and I am always looking for pictures of good original boats.
Current Boats: 1998 Ski Nautique, 2000 Sport Nautique, 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (twin-engine), 1981 Fish Nautique (twin-engine), 1980 Fish Nautique (twin-engine)
skwatr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skwatr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2018 at 11:10pm
Thanks All!

Wow, Jeff, you have a twin engine Fish! How many of those did they make? I have seen pictures.

Thanks for the photbucket fix. After I made my post, i fished around and found it. works good, lasts long time.

Then I found more fish restoration pics were someone cut the deck off. I see these are full of foam under the deck. The unsinkable boat era with the Boston Whaler cut in half advertising.

I might start with potted lock nuts epoxied into the deck for the T-Top attach points? I just hate introducing water into the under deck foam with screws if I can avoid it. There seem to be enough attach flanges to distribute the load of the T-Top either way but this is what your hanging onto when things get rough. Or a low bridge...

Just wondering what others have done in this situation?

I am indeed on the left coast. Don't see the outriggers used much but thats what the trailer is for. That brings up the horror of the low rudder and prop. I better weld up some protection and possibly taller tires.

How about a " Sand Slipper" or something in front of the prop attached to the hull? I have not seen this on the pictures of fish nautigue's with this in place? Would it disrupt the water in front of the prop? Here on the left coast you can walk to Texas at low tide.

Here is a pic of the potted nut I am considering using. using a forester bit to drill the holes, injecting epoxy around the nut plate, and covering with silicone before installing machine screws to keep water out. this would allow removal later if required and reuse of encapsulated nuts.

5.7 liter Vortec ran great for testing and tuning on the stand last night. You can see engine carcass #1 in the background.

Engine compartment clean up, wiring, ect, needs to take place next. I want to install a thru hull strainer for the raw water pick up and probably need a new bottom machine transducer for a Ray Marine C 120. They look pricey. Any leads or ideas on were to pick one up is appreciated. Ill be in 150' deep water or less for the most part.

My plan is to use the existing electronics and get some sea trials done during engine break in, then start upgrading the electronics, adding the T-Top. leaning post ect.

I really like the benches / lockers in the bow of the later models. I wonder if those molds are still around somewhere? or if someone has added these to the older models? pros and cons?

Thanks agin for your input! Ill post pics as I move along.

Also the Chris Craft I have pretty close to done. It is an homage to my grandparents who always had similar boats.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2018 at 11:29pm
Rubber expansion nuts for the T top Click on "insulating rivet nuts". They make them up to 3/8" size. No on the silicone for "sealing". Go with 4200.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
captbob626 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captbob626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2018 at 11:20am
Any idea what speed you get out of her? I recently acquired a 22 chris craft dory 1974 with. 5.7 fresh water cooled. I may have wrong prop. I can only get 3600 out of her and about 23 it’s wot. Prop is 14x12 and I think it’s supposed to have a 14x10 I can’t find any information tech specs on the boat. Just trying to make a comparison
Bob
Bob Meimbresse
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2018 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by captbob626 captbob626 wrote:

Any idea what speed you get out of her? I recently acquired a 22 chris craft dory 1974 with. 5.7 fresh water cooled. I may have wrong prop. I can only get 3600 out of her and about 23 it’s wot. Prop is 14x12 and I think it’s supposed to have a 14x10 I can’t find any information tech specs on the boat. Just trying to make a comparison
Bob

Bob,
Fill in the blanks and submit.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2018 at 2:14pm
Silicone is fine above the waterline. Do you really want the adhesion 4200 provides?
skwatr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skwatr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2018 at 5:56pm
I did not want to use 5200 above the water line. I would probably have to remove the T-Top if I took the engine out again. The rubber rivnuts is a good idea. I actually have a few in stock. I guess the metal threaded side would be on the bottom of the hole, the T-Top flange would make the rubber compress and tighten into the deck hole? Hmmm i need to ponder this. Good Idea!

As far as the prop goes, I have not had this boat in the water yet. I just finished the second engine for it. But the previous owner claims he got 40-45 probably MPH sounds more like knots to me? He is excited to see how it performs with the 330 hp vortec I am installing. Who knows if its really 330 hp? Im not to concerned with this. With a marine cam, edelbrock Marine 2516 intake and Holley 600CFM carb. I think the 330 hp was with street cam and fuel injection?

Note: Previous owner claims it really " hauled ass". I asked if he had a spare prop when I bought it. See pics. it really hauled ass across the rocks on its first trip with the new prop. You can still see his name written on it from the prop shop. For what its worth,
the prop hub says 13X12. I cant read the pitch.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2018 at 5:58pm
12 is the pitch you must mean cup?

45 mph lol
skwatr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skwatr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2018 at 6:07pm

Here is the rubber riv nut. I am going to test this. The metal potted nuts I have are smaller than the 1/4" CS holes in the T-Top flange. the CS machine screws I have fit the the CS hole, but I would rather use a full 1/4" screw.

I found the awesome Grand Parents pic. I love this picture and its going in the cabin when Im done with the trim and carpet. Notice the church key on the table. this was pre pop top beer cans. Definitely a better managed time. Pop was in WWII, a Navy man until the end.
skwatr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skwatr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2018 at 6:09pm
correct you are. It was the shaft diameter I couldn't read
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2018 at 9:46pm
That is some awesome kind of prop work!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2018 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

That is some awesome kind of prop work!

Plus, to me, it looks like a prop puller would have come in handy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 6:02am
Beating on a prop that far off center likely bent the shaft ~~~~~~~~ but in your case it may have straightened it back out.   
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 9:04am
That prop looks fine.......
Js
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 11:58am
that'll buff out
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 12:09pm
In the pic it appears they were keeping tally of the whacks😉 Dang tally whackerz
skwatr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skwatr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 6:48pm
I will take it to general propellor and say, "Remember when you cupped this prop perfectly for Cody? I want it exactly like you made it then!" Then plop that carcass on the work bench.

It took out the shaft, cutlas, and he had the transmission rebuilt. Thats when I said, Ill Take it! What are the odds of that happening again!

Its not the fall that kills you, its the landing.
VentureMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2018 at 8:39pm
Very cool. I recently picked up a fish as well. Have you run the boat with the new motor? I've been going back and forth on what I'll be putting in mine so I'd love to hear how yours runs.
skwatr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skwatr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2018 at 10:22pm
Hope to get the motor in this weekend. Having a day job blows.
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 7:01pm
I have a 87 fish with the benches in the front. Id rather have the flush deck no benches, feels like there’s more room. The deck is a little higher on my 87 than an earlier year model I saw... You should be able to cut access holes in engine bay to get access under the deck around console if there isn’t already. I can’t see that rivet holding the console/top. Really should have backing plate and thru bolted.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 7:49pm
After rereading your posts... I figured out that i bought the marine's boat. I opted to leave him with the t-top though. It wasn't going to work for me. Glad to hear that he found a buyer for it. I figured he was going straight to the scrap yard after i left with the boat. Really nice guy so i promised him a fishing trip once i finish the restoration.
skwatr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skwatr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2018 at 8:47pm
Mike,

Thats great news! So your picking up his restoration? I offered him the same. I am cleaning up my wiring and hope to splash mine next weekend.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 77 or close, fish Nautique?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2018 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by skwatr skwatr wrote:

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 77 or close, fish Nautique?

Robert,
This is the PCM manual in the refference section. Check page 20.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VentureMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2018 at 10:16pm
He got it pretty close but then it sat for what looks like 10 years. It's a total restoration at this point. Still deciding on power for the boat so progress is slow right now. Mostly still in the design phase. The new engine will dictate a lot of how I set everything in the bilge and how the new fuel tank/tanks will go in. I guess it'd more of a resto-mod. That's why I'm anxious to hear how yours runs with the 350. Are you using the 1:1 transmission?
skwatr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skwatr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2018 at 10:29pm
Yes. Same velvet drive. I have enough vortec 350 stuff here to set you up. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic