Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking For North Eastern Coastal Lake

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lewis7106 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewis7106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking For North Eastern Coastal Lake
    Posted: December-31-2017 at 5:24pm
Hello we are looking to plan a trip this summer for boating and the occasional day trip to the beach. We would like to see if anyone knows of a freshwater lake near a Atlantic Ocean beach up to a one hour drive? It would also be nice to have a lake front rental house with boat dock access. Any suggestions are welcome but something in the NJ, VA or northern NC states would be nice.

William
William

1989 Baja Ski Sport (My Father's Boat)
2001 Correct Craft Air Nautique
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2017 at 11:09pm
If you want to go North, my location fits your bill. Mousam lake in Shapleigh/Acton ME is a 900+ acre lake that is 25 miles from Wells beach, ME. There is train to Boston, MA, 27 miles to lake Winnipesaukee, 45 mins to North Conway, NH, etc. next door is Square pond (900 acres), great east (1,600 acres) and many others. It takes me on average 35 mins to the ocean and when I was taking the train to Boston it was about 2 hrs. No traffic until you hit RT 1 on the ocean.
lewis7106 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewis7106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2017 at 11:49pm
Sounds nice I would like to see the more northern states, but would worry about water temperature and weather a little. I will check into some information about the places you mentioned for one of the choices.
William

1989 Baja Ski Sport (My Father's Boat)
2001 Correct Craft Air Nautique
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2018 at 8:24pm
William I wouldn't hesitate to do as John said.   our ocean temps are really quite warm to us here.....
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2018 at 12:12pm
Key words above "quite warm to us" We NE people do tend to have antifreeze for blood. Couldn't get my cousins from Greenville SC in the ocean up here in the summer back in the day (way back) cause it was too cold for their thin blood.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2018 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by lewis7106 lewis7106 wrote:

something in the NJ, VA or northern NC states would be nice

Not sure I'd call VA or NC "North Eastern". For that matter not NJ either.

John has a good suggestion, I'd add staying at Winnipesaukee and heading over to any of the NH or southern ME beaches (my family enjoys York Beach in ME). If you prefer a smaller lake than Winni there are a ton of options in NH and ME.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2018 at 12:43pm
I can't think of anything that fits that criteria between SC and NJ. One thought for you is Cape Cod. I skied up there with Larry (75tique) when he lived there, There are a couple of lakes that aren't big by southern standards but are skiable and close to the Cape Cod beaches, I think one of the CCF family has a house that they rent on Long Pond, which isn't far from Cape Cod National Seashore.

If Larry sees this he may be able to help.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 7:16pm
I would suggest sebago. or winnipesaukee. We leave our boat there for the season and love it. lots to do at either big lake and not far from the ocean. One place I have never stayed but it looks interesting is Dammariscotta Maine a beautiful area the ocean is close and the fresh water lake looks big enough to enjoy
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 1:37pm
I really didnt think of the Cape since OP mentioned more mid atlantic. But the Cape could be ideal 1 - it is a great vacation spot and offers a lot without being too touristy/Myrtle Beachie. 2 - the National Seashore is unspoiled and beautiful. 3 - ton of great restaurants. 4 - Some ideal ski ponds. Most people just think ocean but there are several nice lakes. Here is an example of what might be available.

Sample Long Pond Rental

If you've never been to Cape Cod, it really is quite a special place. I lived there for 10 years. Ocean beaches, great skiing (I used Mashpee-Wakeby pond on the west end of the cape)

Ocean beaches are beautiful but water is chilly. Nantucket sound beaches are nice and water is warmer, but no surf. Bay beaches are warm but no surf. Provincetown is fun to visit. Day trip: Boston for food, museums, Red Sox, Blue Man Group.

Only downside, when the weather is great, its great. When its not, it can be rainy and cool.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic