Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sport Nautique 200

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
samcaddle@yahoo.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcaddle@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sport Nautique 200
    Posted: January-05-2018 at 4:30pm
I have a 2002 Air Nautique direct drive with over 720 hours now. It is 21 feet long. We are considering upgrading to a v-drive sport nautique 200. I am a little concerned about space in the boat. It is only 20 feet and the bow seems to be where the space is lost. Anyone have any observations you can share about the spaciness of this boat? We still slalom a lot so this seems to be about the only v-drive that that should work really well for us, without going over to the dark side. Thanks, Sam
Sam Caddle
Fairfield, CA
2002 Air Nautique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 8:33pm
What is "the dark side"? The 200 would have a pretty amazing slalom wake, probably better than your 2002 Air. I've been in a 200 Sport once and compared to a direct drive it seems super roomy. I guess that I'd ask what you want to do: Why do you want to upgrade? What "space" do you have in your Air that you don't want to lose? Is it the bow?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 9:28pm
The dark side would be a Malibu sunscape 20 or 21LSV or a Malibu VTX 20.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcaddle@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 10:17pm
Yup. VTX gets great reviews too. But I have too many Nautique stickers, decals, shirts, etc to switch now. We were on the Nautique promo team for 23 years so Malibu or Mastercraft is sacrilegious.
Sam Caddle
Fairfield, CA
2002 Air Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcaddle@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 10:19pm
And yes Roundy, my wife is concerned about he bow space. The grandkids and their friends like to hang there.
Sam Caddle
Fairfield, CA
2002 Air Nautique
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by samcaddle@yahoo.com samcaddle@yahoo.com wrote:

Yup. VTX gets great reviews too. But I have too many Nautique stickers, decals, shirts, etc to switch now. We were on the Nautique promo team for 23 years so Malibu or Mastercraft is sacrilegious.

Agreed. I bought my first correct craft at 15 and that’s all I’ve owned since.. I’m on my third and at the age of 47 I would love to upgrade to another and that’s probably why I’ve passed up on a couple of LSVs. Driven two of them and they are great boats. But playing in my dad’s 1959 cc when I was a kid and owning my own, I guess I’m staying loyal.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 7:27pm
How old are these grandkids? I think you'd find the difference between a Sport 200 and your Air a bit less than you might imagine. Is there a specific Sport you are looking at or is this just a general question? Looking and judging for yourself is the best idea, but the space available in the cabin of a Sport 200 is going to be pretty amazing compared to any DD boat, no matter how long it is. I think grandma would be very surprised.

Also, I'm not sure which model Air you have but from what I can see in the brochures with a quick check is that the beam of the two boats looks to be very similar. One foot of length doesn't count for much, but beam can make a huge difference.

But overall, I think the v-drive layout will provide so much space that you and your grandkids will be amazed, and I hear that those Sport 200's ski really well.

Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcaddle@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 11:16pm
Thanks Roundy. We have a DD Air Nautique that is 21 feet long. Everyone still likes to slalom aggressively so a good slalom wake is a very high priority. It is not easy to go sit in one since they are no longer made and ZERO for sale west of the Mississippi, let alone CA. Hard to find. Thanks, Sam
Sam Caddle
Fairfield, CA
2002 Air Nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 9:15pm
Hey Sam, there was a 200V for sale in the Sac area, ugly color, but . . . when I have some time, I will see if I can find it. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcaddle@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 9:20pm
Thanks. That would be too good to be true. I am a hour away from Sac.
Sam Caddle
Fairfield, CA
2002 Air Nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 9:51pm
Not having any luck finding it right now. If I come across will let you know. I was looking late summer and the boat kept coming up.

I did see a red and white one in Oregon.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcaddle@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 10:04pm
I saw the one in Oregon too but I'd like to find one with less hours. Mine is at 720+ and that one has 391. I picture me being at over 700 hours again in three years or less. That's a lot of money so I'd like to find one with certainly less than 300. I think I recall the one you are talking about and he was brokering it and it had no trailer at the time. If it is the same one.

Thanks for looking. Sam
Sam Caddle
Fairfield, CA
2002 Air Nautique
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 1:36pm
We got to go on a demo day with the 200V a few years ago and I was shocked at how small the cabin is. We didn't mess around much in the open bow but if you have a couple adults in the cabin your knees might be touching each other. We too have a 21ft sport and want to move to a V drive but the 200V is too small IMO.

I wish there was a 210V or 220V but then you're just getting into the SAN's area and lose your slalom wake anyways so...not sure.

Just wanted to share my input as we got to ride around in one that day and i was not impressed.

The wake and handling is amazing however. Hope that helps!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2018 at 10:44pm
I really like my Sport 200 and find it to be roomy for a 20' boat. The lack of a dog house really opens the boat up and the trunk storage on either side of the engine is nice. If the bow is smaller in the 200 vs. what you currently have, I'd say that the 200 more than makes up for it in other storage and family friendliness.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic