Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Nautique Exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mountain_Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Nautique Exhaust
    Posted: January-05-2018 at 4:36pm
Might have been posed already but can't find any Topics on it.
With the older Ski Nautique, mine being a 1980, are guys switching to an Exhaust System (F.A.E or Likewise) that dumps downward to cut down on potentially deadly CO2 levels and noise levels? We had no noticeable issues last year, but you always hear of people having issues, so it makes you think if there is anything that I can do to make my time on the water safer. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
1980 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 9:08pm
I have the FAE & feel it was worth the investment for safety & noise reduction (can you hear the uproar?).

It is not for everyone - it slows the boat, throws it's own rooster, looks ugly, robs the muscle sound, all for $500.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2018 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

It is not for everyone - it slows the boat, throws it's own rooster, looks ugly, robs the muscle sound, all for $500.

I've also heard that the fish don't like them!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 2:31pm
I very seriously considered putting a FAE on my '89 Supra, as my kids were spending more time in the boat but didn't love the noise. Plus the fumes, yeah, that too. But we didn't surf much with that boat - that's a major reason a lot of people go for these systems, it's the low speeds and people sitting/facing near/on the stern.

For me, I couldn't stomach spending $500 on some huge contraption I'd have to bolt onto the boat that I may not even like, leaving me back where I started minus $500. There's really no way to find out what the boat will be like with one installed unless you can find one to ride in or drive.

What I couldn't find out was whether the "character" of the exhaust note was lost. That is, I would have been OK with less volume, but if it totally changed the note (which seemed likely), I would have hated it. I think in that case, there's no substitute for first-hand experience.

SNobsessed said it well, it's not for everyone.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by stepper459 stepper459 wrote:

What I couldn't find out was whether the "character" of the exhaust note was lost. .

They sound great. Just like a Bayliner.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mountain_Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I have the FAE & feel it was worth the investment for safety & noise reduction (can you hear the uproar?).

Thanks for your input. Glad to see someone actually has the system I have been looking at.
I am wondering how much did it really slow your boat? We primarily wakeboard and surf, So top speed is not as crucial as if we were skiing.
We do really like the muscle sound, gets lots of looks, but at the same time sound reduction would be nice for longer cruises. Would you say it cut the noise in half?
As for the rooster, is it at the higher speeds and do you have any pictures?
1980 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 8:36pm
Chris - The FAE slowed my boat about 2 mph @ WOT. No big deal to me, I hit that once per year just to test the secondaries.

Pete said it right, there basically is no exhaust sound other than what resonates from the invertaflow, so it sounds like an IO.

Once in a while when coming around for pickup it will come out of the water.

The rooster spray isn't terrible, but does splash up past the platform when underway.

Sorry, never took a photo of it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic