NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fish nautique prop rotation

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 9:39pm
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 10:04pm
Good picture Larry of a transmission set up for a RH reverse rotating engine. Some also say RH or LH next to the arrow.

Harold Here's a thread about posting pictures, the first post tells how

posting pictures
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 10:13pm
Here's a picture of one set up for normal automotive rotation

In later years the LH and RH were removed to reduce confusion

turboapache View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turboapache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 2:21am
This gets very confusing because I was there and helped to pull this motor and trans out of the old boat as an assembly. Now looking at the trans pump it is clearly set up for a right hand rotation but the eng is for sure a standard rotation. There is no way that I can see for this combo to have ever worked. The only thing I can figure is someone who did not know what they were doing put the wrong eng and trans together and could not get it to work so that is why the boat sat and was being scrapped. Another thing I found that suggests they did not know very much as mechanics was when I tore the eng down the rings were .030 undersize for the pistons. The ring gaps were about .050 and should have been no more than .020 at most. There would have been tremendous blow by and pressure in the crank case. I built high performance engs for years and I am 72 now and I have to shake my head at some of the things I have seen some people do. It looks like to me that I will finish the eng build as a standard rotation and index the pump so it is turning in the proper direction and hope there is no damage to the trans and change the prop to a LH. I still welcome any help and advice from everyone. Now I have to find a LH prop.
there is no substitution for cubic inches.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 2:33am
Originally posted by turboapache turboapache wrote:

Now I have to find a LH prop.

That sounds like the easy part
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turboapache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 3:28am
Is there a place on the site I should look for a LH prop??? Does anyone know what the standard factory prop was on the 86 Fish Nautique?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turboapache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 3:56am
[IGM]uploads/12151/DCP_0987.JPG[/IMG]                                                                         I was trying to post some photos of when we pulled the eng and trans but I must be doing something wrong.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 9:37am
First one should be IMG not IGM

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 9:51am
Is the engine still apart? Some pictures of the crank where the rear seal runs would be nice. Lefty and righty cranks had different direction wick lines at one time. When spun opposite they will cause the seal to leak.
Some will be happy to see the PO used a quality filter. Painting an orange filter black has to make it better
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Is the engine still apart? Some pictures of the crank where the rear seal runs would be nice. Lefty and righty cranks had different direction wick lines at one time. When spun opposite they will cause the seal to leak.
Considering the iregularities, I agree that a look at the wick lines is a good idea.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Considering the iregularities, I agree that a look at the wick lines is a good idea.

This is what a RR crank will look like. You can see the oil wick lines on it.
KENO was going to take his crankshaft out of his engine and photo it but I told him that I already had a photo of mine.

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 2:10pm
No, No Duane

I was gonna take your engine apart but luckily you have a picture already
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turboapache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 3:14pm
wick lines show as automotive, all other indicators also show auto rotation. Still trying to figure out the photo posting, I think I had some help from quinner on the two that are in my other post. Thanks
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turboapache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 3:36pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 4:11pm
Harold,
It's hard to see the cam screw on the RWP (raw water pump) from the picture but the RWP looks like it's on backwards for a standard rotation engine. The screw is a good indicator of flow direction. Many have installed their RWP backwards/upside down.

Glad to see you got the picture posting figured out!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turboapache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 4:14pm
Here are some of the things going into the new eng build
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 4:47pm
New crank new cam it doesn't make a difference now what it used to turn. As long as the distributor fits.... but that raw water pump is on for a righty 😯. Where did you get that oil pan those are hard to find. Unless you stumble over one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 6:04pm
If you put this motor in a FN you will need to put 4 inch spacer,s on the exhaust manifolds or you will have water coming back into the motor. You will need a 14x11x1/18 left hand prop. I might have one at the store. FYI the rear main seal was changed about 1983 and the hash marks went away on the crankshaft and seal took care of it. Same crank used LH or RH.
woodyelc
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turboapache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 6:19pm
The oil pan came on the eng. If you look at the photos you can see just how everything was just as we pulled it.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turboapache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 6:29pm
As for the cam screw as I understand it is to the outside away from the eng. The photo showing the raw water pump is just as it was when we pulled it. I am so thankful to all who are helping because there is so much I do not know about all this.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turboapache Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 6:39pm
I need some clarification on the prop dimentions. Are you saying that the prop is 14x11 for a 1 and 1/8th shaft? Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by woodyelc woodyelc wrote:

If you put this motor in a FN you will need to put 4 inch spacer,s on the exhaust manifolds or you will have water coming back into the motor..

Spacers? Where, between the manifolds and risers? Please explain.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 7:41pm
I would venture to guess between the riser and pyramid manifold Pete. That motor looks to sit kinda low in the boat. Backing down and a following sea could get water in the engine. Mufflers might help but you guys don't like them.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 7:52pm

I would venture to guess between the riser and pyramid manifold Pete. That motor looks to sit kinda low in the boat. Backing down and a following sea could get water in the engine. Mufflers might help but you guys don't like them.....

My guess as well but just asking for a confirmation.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 8:46pm
Here you go Pete with the PCM part numbers. I'll bet the price has gone up the book is at least 10 yrs old.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 9:12pm
Looks like a late 90s engine which would naturally be LH. Someone definitely screwed up and probably why it's in your hands now.

Raw water pump is upside down.

Yes Fish 23' had a 1.125 diameter shaft.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 11:09pm
You are correct that the following sea will let water into motor without the risers. Motor sits to deep in the bilge. What year did the motor come out of. Where is the I.D tag on the intake.
woodyelc
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2018 at 11:54pm
Use flappers on the exhaust outlets
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 1:32pm
flappers will not stop the water from coming in.
woodyelc
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 1:46pm
are you recommending against using them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic