Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 351 Rocker cover bolt access

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ngokhale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ngokhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM 351 Rocker cover bolt access
    Posted: January-06-2018 at 8:59am
Hi All,
Looking for some advice please.
Have a 1993 Nautique, with a PCM 351 engine. Sounds like I have a problem with a hydraulic valve lifter, so need to get the rocker cover off.
The central lower fixing bolt is obscured by the exhaust manifold, and seems inaccessible.

Can anyone offer advice on how to remove ( and replace) this bolt please.

Many thanks.
Neil G
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 10:30am
If you took the exhaust manifold off it would be plenty easy to get to it

Otherwise the right combination of a 1/4 inch drive socket set, long extensions, universal joints, flexible extensions and maybe a little aggravation and swearing will work..

This is from an old post by Shep72
On my 94' I removed my Valve covers with a 1/4" drive ratchet long extension and universal joint over the socket.. This may help if you tear back into the Valve covers. [/QUOTE">">link
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 1:13pm
Here at Florida Inboards Inc when servicing rocker covers on PCM Fords we remove the exhaust risers to access the lower fasteners. more then likely the risers need new gaskets any way.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 11:03pm
If it is a lifter problem, you will need to remove the intake manifold too.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 5:57pm
Getting the valve covers off is the easy part...   yes, a 1/4 drive wobble socket works fine, but the trouble is getting the valve covers back on once you investigate the issue.    I agree with the others and would suggest removing the exhaust manifold is going to be the most efficient method.    That said, I have done it without taking the EM off, but the valve cover gaskets always leaked afterwards
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2018 at 6:04pm
Removing the riser only as Fl Inboards advise sounds like the easiest option to me.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2018 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Removing the riser only as Fl Inboards advise sounds like the easiest option to me.

Sounds easy till you snap the bolts,
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 3:27am
Which can happen just as easy with the Exhaust manifold bolts in my experience.
One of my exhaust manifold bolts was rusted solid to the exhaust manifold. I would rather deal with the upper bolts where you could drill and re tap them with space to do the job but each to their own.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 11:34am
Gun Driver, Yea it can be a can of worms sometimes but you are talking about 20 plus year old boats that may or may have not been regularly serviced.
Boat, "Acronym" ! Bust Out Another Thousand!

351 PCM engines one can get away with wobbling in a socket to remove the tappet covers , there is barely clearance proper reinstall of tappet covers can be difficult. Snapping off the 5/16" long bolts is very common with these risers even in reasonably new PCM engines. It is part of life in our world.
I probably extract 30 or so broken fasteners a year out of different components revolving around Exhaust systems, When reassembly utilize a high temp anti seize on those 5/16" riser bolts and utilize quality OEM gaskets by PCM.

Remember! For one time usage Harbor Frieght tools is your friend!

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 9:54pm
I really don't see any advantage to removing just the riser.

The manifold body is still in the way of getting any kind of straight shot at the bolt head.

You still need the same assortment of extensions, u joints, wobble sockets, aggravation and swearing as you'd use if you left the riser installed
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2018 at 10:23pm
Chances are the X manifolds need cleanup & new gaskets anyway.

The OP hasn't posted again - maybe he decided the tick isn't worth fixing.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic