Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tired 1987 Martinique 351-Rebuild/Replace

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mike Parmley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Parmley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tired 1987 Martinique 351-Rebuild/Replace
    Posted: January-12-2018 at 3:05pm
So I have a 1987 Martinique with PCM 351 and around 1450 hours. It runs and drives fine but is low on power. Compression is consistent in 7/8 cylinders @ 105-115. The other cylinder moves air but does not register.

I am looking at pulling and either rebuilding or replacing the motor. I would like to get more power out of the motor that I put back in. I am looking for suggestions on rebuild/replace and upgrades if rebuilt or vendors for the remanufactured option.

Any advice is appreciated.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2018 at 4:07pm
It's been pretty well documented here you'd just have to do a search. Just like a car- a bump in compression with flat top pistons,a Cam Research cam,GT 40P heads,Edelbrock intake manifold would make you happy
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2018 at 4:41pm
I'm currently rebuilding a 351. They are readily rebuildable (providing the block is in good condition) and can use standard or upgraded automotive components, as well as aftermarket performance pieces. Know your engine's rotation. Several pieces are rotation-specific, most notably the camshaft.
Master engine rebuilding kits (in either direction) begin around $500.
Another option is to build a stroker motor, increasing displacement and power.
Many, many options available.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2018 at 5:25pm
As these guys mentioned lots of options... as they say in the picture shows speed is just a question of Money, how fast do you want to go?    

Pick a hp level and there is likely a proven way to get there with a 351 platform -

As for your engine I would at least pull the valve covers and see if you can find a root cause for your dead hole. Might be something relatively easy to fix in the valve train. If it is then a quick set of gt40 p heads along with some rockers and an intake might get you a lot more pep for an afternoons work and minimal cash outlay...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2018 at 10:01pm
Your 351W is likely a reverse rotation engine. Keep that in mind when you think about a rebuild or a re-power.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic