NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tandem Axle Trailer - Fender Back Plate

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tandem Axle Trailer - Fender Back Plate
    Posted: January-17-2018 at 12:21am
Gents:

I've got a tandem axle trailer for my 1994 S.N. I'm refurbishing the trailer -- including a new paint job. While prepping the trailer to take to the paint shop, I see that both fender "back plates" need to be replaced.

Don't know if this is the proper term, but the thing I call the "back plate" is mounted to the top part of the dual-axle fender and is a barrier between the fender and the boat. The back plate appears to be plywood and is covered in marine carpet. Approximately 64" long and 12" high. Looks like 1/4" plywood. The shape is not rectangular as the top corners are rounded to match the shape of the fenders. The plywood is disintegrating and the carpet needs to be replaced also.

OK, questions:

- Do I need to use marine grade plywood for the backing plate? If so, I don't think that my local H.D. carries that.

- What about using "diamond" aluminum plate? Yes, I realize that it would not be padded like the plywood / carpet, but any ideas that could make this work?

- HDPE marine board/sheet?

Thanks for your help.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2018 at 12:37am
While I have never taken mine apart,my Phoenix has some sort of HDPE . Covered with carpet on the boat side and thru bolted to the fenders, you can see it looking from the wheel side black in color.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2018 at 1:39am
I honestly have no idea Rob,and I'm in no position to check . If I had to guess it would be 3/8,the carpet being wrapped over between it and the fender also.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2018 at 1:44am
This is the only picture I have of it maybe it will help,you can see on the right hand side it looks wavy. You can click on the image to make it bigger if that helps

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2018 at 8:08am
Rob,
Marine ply isn't needed. You can use an exterior rated ply or take a look at this recent post regarding the base material used for seats.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Andrew,
It's expanded PVC. Check your local HD to see if they stock it. We carry it at the Rhinelander Wi. HD but all stores don't have the same inventory. We have it in 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" in 2'x4' sizes. Get one thickness heavier. It would be easier than trying to repair your old one plus, I would question the bond of the fiberglass resin to the PVC.

If you local HD doesn't stock it, it's available on HD's website. This is the 3/4" Shipping to your store would be free.

Marine rated ply and exterior are the same with the exception that the center ply veneers in marine have no ply voids.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2018 at 10:17am
Go with 1/2'' PVC it will cost a little more but will never rot .
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2018 at 11:54am
I've replaced mine twice in 18 years. First time I used some scrap ply. Second time I had to buy a sheet. Second time I slapped some CPES on it, only because I had it sitting around. I wouldn't buy CPES just for the project. Ply is cheap and the project is easy.

I just used the old ones for a template. Helped a friend cut some for a trailer where we we did not have the old pieces. Made a quick cardboard template.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2018 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

This is the only picture I have of it maybe it will help,you can see on the right hand side it looks wavy. You can click on the image to make it bigger if that helps

Gary:

That is what mine looked like when new. Thanks for posting the pic.

I found some HDPE sheets locally, but they are $100. Pete's suggestion of exterior plywood is the least expensive route. If I go with CPES coated plywood, I'm not that far away from the HDPE sheets. The HDPE sheet is black and I may not even need the carpet padding...

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2018 at 3:30pm
$100 in HDPE for both tandem fenders is a deal.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2018 at 3:34pm
Does the tire side of this board usually have carpet on it?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2018 at 3:43pm
Knowing what brand of trailer this is would be helpful. As would pictures. So many variables.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2018 at 3:48pm
In my case it's a Boatmate and the board has carpet on the boat side and inside the wheel well which is causing a mal function..
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2018 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Does the tire side of this board usually have carpet on it?

No. On the three Tandems I have owned, the carpet is wrapped around the edge and stapled, but doe not cover the entire backside. Of the three, only one was painted black.
I just shoot little spray paint on the back when replacing or re-carpeting.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2018 at 5:02pm
Mine only has carpet on the boat side but it does overlap on the other side that is held in place by the fender. The thru bolts have some sort of plastic cap that snaps on to the head of the screw
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2018 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Knowing what brand of trailer this is would be helpful. As would pictures. So many variables.

Tim:

Manufacturer: DHL Enterprises (aslo known as DHM Enterprises)

Picture is the twin sister of my trailer. Note black fender back plate on far side of trailer.

Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2018 at 12:40pm
I found a vendor here in town that stocked 3/8" HDPE sheets (color was black). He was willing to cut pieces for me so that I didn't have to buy the entire 4 X 8 sheet. He cut two 63" X 12" rectangles for me. Total cost was $64. Nice score.

All I need to do is to cut a quarter radius on each side of the sheets to match the shape of the fenders. Now I to find some carpet to glue on to the HDPE sheets. Almost there...

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2018 at 2:20pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2018 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

All I need to do is to cut a quarter radius on each side of the sheets to match the shape of the fenders.    Almost there...
JQ

Which brings up the next potential issue with HDPE. It doesn't like to cut easily and more or less tears. You can try a jig saw with a new coarse blade but I'd suggest setting up the router on a radius beam (or template) and using a carbide cutter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2018 at 4:40pm
Thanks, Pete for the tip. I'll give it a try.

I'll smooth out the radius cut with a belt sander.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2018 at 4:46pm
The HDPE doesn't like to be sanded ether!! Don't worry about it too much since the cut will be covered by the carpet. Report back on how it turns out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2018 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The HDPE doesn't like to be sanded ether!! Don't worry about it too much since the cut will be covered by the carpet. Report back on how it turns out.

Temperamental stuff, this HDPE...doesn't cut well, doesn't sand well, doesn't play well with others...
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2018 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Temperamental stuff, this HDPE...doesn't cut well, doesn't sand well, doesn't play well with others...

That's why I suggested the router!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2018 at 9:32pm
Try heating a metal tool with handle (trowel or putty knife) to the point where it will melt the plastic. Then you can deburr the rough spots cause by the sawing issues.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2018 at 9:50pm
Anything you experiment with do it on the cut off pieces first!

I wouldn't bother with the carpet unless you crash into them A LOT.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2018 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Anything you experiment with do it on the cut off pieces first!

I wouldn't bother with the carpet unless you crash into them A LOT.

Roger that. I will make some practice cuts on the HDPE to be cut off. Agreed with the "no carpet" plan. My on/off trailering skills are not so poor as that!

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic