Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2007 Ski Nautique starter spins, but doesn't egage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2007 Ski Nautique starter spins, but doesn't egage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2007 Ski Nautique starter spins, but doesn't egage
    Posted: February-02-2018 at 3:59pm
After I enter my code on the keypad and press Start, the starter spins but doesn't engage the flywheel (no engine turnover). I don't hear a "click," but I'm not a mechanic. There is no grinding. I have charged the battery (2.5 years old), cleaned all contacts, and banged the starter with a hammer (through a 2x4 piece of wood). Boat has 250 hours. Rainwater filled the bilge during torrential rains and rose up to the starter one year ago. I'm guessing this is a solenoid problem, but I don't have a volt meter to test it myself (and I'm not sure what to test, anyway). Mechanic I spoke to recommended pulling the starter and sending it for testing, possibly have it rebuilt. I think I could remove it myself (I replaced a starter on a car...once), but it's tight quarters and I'm a little worried about screwing up the wiring. Also, I've read about relays and secondary solenoids, but I don't know if those are relevant to my boat. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 6:51pm
First, what engine do you have? I'm going to assume GM based on the year for now. If so, the starter solenoid would be mounted to the starter and may be frozen or at least very rusty from being submerged. Remove the starter and go through the solenoid with some steel wool to clean the rusty parts. Make sure to blow it out well before lubing parts and reassembling, then give it another try. If you can't bring it back to life you'll likely have to replace it.
Some of the more senior members - Gary S or Keno come to mind - will no doubt have some good advise and are undoubtedly able to salvage just about anything   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 6:55pm
New Starter should fix it! if she is a spinnin but not connectinn then the starter is shot. look at amazon for a replacement.. Save a few bucks!!
we used to rebuild them but now aday's take to a rebuilder he throws on the scrap pile and hands you a new one for the same price as if he would have rebuilt it.. well at least that's the way it is here in PC.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 8:10pm
Not sure I'm even looking at the right starter but a Arco starter for a PCM Chevy on ebay is 149.00. I bought an Arco last year for a Ford and am happy with it. New starters don't seem to be worth rebuilding anymore
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 8:59pm
I figure that since the starter is spinning, the slave solenoid and the starter mounted solenoid are getting power and it could be something as simple as rust on the shaft that the starter gear rides on.

I also figure if it went for a swim it's days may be numbered anyway.

I'd take it out, bench test it to see if the gear moves on the shaft and depending on how adventurous you're feeling, try to free it up and like Joe said disassemble and clean the starter mounted solenoid and gear , or.................get a new marine starter like Gary and Jody said.

Or you could get the new one first then get adventurous with the old one and maybe have a decent spare when you're all done

Spare parts are good                                                                                                                                                                                               
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 9:11pm
Sounds pretty much like Joe in Kansas advice
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic