NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DasBoot67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DasBoot67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringers
    Posted: February-06-2018 at 7:27am
I’m doing stringer re placement what does most people do under the floor after capes treatment
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2018 at 6:35pm
Lots of reading material on the site if you take a bit and search for it.   The process is pretty involved, so from the sounds of it, you have taken out the fiberglass floor, foam and original stringers, then you have already cut new stringers and CPES'd them?    if so, your next step is to fiberglass (glue then wrap) your stringers in place.   Again, some of the other threads would likely be much more educational for you.
DasBoot67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DasBoot67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2018 at 8:11pm
What does everybody use on the under side of floor it has been cepes
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2018 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by DasBoot67 DasBoot67 wrote:

What does everybody use on the under side of floor it has been cepes

Epoxy and glass.
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Lots of reading material on the site if you take a bit and search for it.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2018 at 11:58pm
Is fiberglass really needed on the underside of the floor? Seems like a waste of money & time to me. CPES alone ought to keep it from absorbing moisture.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 10:51am
I came across this info.

Maybe an alternative for stringers someday?

Maybe wood boats will make a comback!

Nano wood

Ben Franklin
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 10:32pm
there is alot of way you can go about it really. last boat we had in the shop for a full bow to stern gut and replace was a 1978 25' sportcraft and let me tell you its alot of time consuming work. i used Douglas fur for all the stringers and after i glued the stringers in place i used regular fiberglass mat first and went over top with 18oz woven roven mat and for the floors i made the the piece fit perfectly then coated it with fiberglass resin. ill post some pics of it soon
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 10:43pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 11:12pm
That's a lot of glass to lay up!

The fumes must have been really bad under that cabin roof.

Hope you had a fresh air hood or a really strong blower.

Ben Franklin
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 1:50am
For the most part I wore a tyvex with basic charcoal filtered mask with good ventilation. The issue was when I started painting the top coat cause since it was xylene based no matter how good my ventilation was and how good my mask was that paint would kick your a%% and we dubbed it (death paint) but 5 years later that paint still looks Brandnew. The coating was Calle Ltd durabak it’s a military deck paint that is crazy strong. Check it out it has amazing durability and Uv protection
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic