NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Older Nautique to refurbish

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Older Nautique to refurbish
    Posted: February-13-2018 at 3:57am
Looking to buy a 79-85 or so Ski Nautique. Found a few with 351 and 1 with a 350.
I refurbished a 79 back in the 80's and just had the desire to get another. Been out of this type boat for years forgot most,
Questions:
Which motor would be easier to work on?
Is there away to check the stringers?

Thanks for any suggestions..
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 6:28am
John,
Check out the FAQ thread in the maintenance section Lot's of links to great topics with answers. On page two, there's a link to Tim's thread on how to check stringers.

Welcome to CCfan

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 10:52am
There is a huge difference between the 81 and earlier ski nautique and the 82+ ski nautiques in your desired year range. Might be useful to figure out which of the two you would rather have based on what you want to use it for and then concentrate your search there.   

Either engine has about the same amount of parts support these days, and either can be upgraded for around the same money - but there were certainly more 351 boats being made at that time frame .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 12:03pm
chevy engine is easier since parts cheaper and more common.   Ford is easier to do valve adjustment.   Besides this I think either is good.   
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

chevy engine is easier since parts cheaper and more common.   

Disagree. That is only true from longblock down (and just barely as ford Windsor stuff is also very common). The Chevy marinization parts are going to be a little rarer, if an early PCM (since fords were much more common until the early 00’s). If it’s an OMC, most pieces are NLA.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 1:34pm
John,
When you find a Nautique you are interested in, post some details and pictures so we can comment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
When you find a Nautique you are interested in, post some details and pictures so we can comment.

OK I have found 3. The black one looks like alot of work but I would know what I'm getting. Just getting one just to cruise around as my skiing days are over.
Opinions and suggestions appreaciated.
But I guess I can just try and copy the link and put that here.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/d/1979-ski-nautique/6489569602.html
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/186083031974264?surface=product_details
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/163090514323593?surface=product_details
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 9:34pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 9:44pm
I think those are all overpriced.
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 10:26pm
Price aside I like the third minus the tower. 81? Looks less molested than the rest.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by scootdogydog scootdogydog wrote:

What would be a fair offer on any of them?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 11:18pm
If you want a boat just to cruise in, maybe a deep V like a Martinique would give a smoother ride.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

If you want a boat just to cruise in, maybe a deep V like a Martinique would give a smoother ride.

John,
I agree with Chris. You mentioned your skiing days are over so tell us what you want to use the boat for.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 11:38pm
I also agree that generally those boats are not spectacular for the price especially if you're willing to put some work into a boat. However of course you want to ski nautique even if you don't want to ski they are a badass boat which are completely fun to drive around. The second generation boats are kind of cooler Hot Rods, but the later boat the 2001 is still a pretty darn cool hot rod and if you need more space or going to be out for longer days where you want to put in a cooler and a couple more friends it really does make life easier, it also handles a little bit better, and handles waves a little better.

If it was just for me and my best girl to go from my dock to the restaurant and back I'd probably go with the second gen boat if I was going to come off to the trailer and spend the day out with friends Id probably get the 2001
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 11:40pm
My wife and I both were avid skiers years ago , had a 79 Nautigue that I redid, and just want another just because we love it then and miss it now...
Had so many boats over the years and just sold a pontoon boat-just didn't cut it-LOL
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 2:05am
The 3RD one has a cool trailer. We like trailers on this site.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 2:45am
2nd one looks like easiest to step into an go, those other two could be work or how modern you want it, harder to find parts on anything pre 80.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 6:29am
Guess I will add my $.02 worth too.
I vote for #1. Reason being when you add up all the sale able spare parts you just about get a reasonably priced (cheap) boat. I see where it says that it needs front floors but mentioned that the stringers have been replaced. Fair chance that the damage is not limited to just the floors
Technically it is not a 19 footer either
Add up the spare tranny, windshield, instruments,carb, steering, throttle and swim platform
= $$.   
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Guess I will add my $.02 worth too.
I vote for #1. Reason being when you add up all the sale able spare parts you just about get a reasonably priced (cheap) boat. I see where it says that it needs front floors but mentioned that the stringers have been replaced. Fair chance that the damage is not limited to just the floors
Technically it is not a 19 footer either
Add up the spare tranny, windshield, instruments,carb, steering, throttle and swim platform
= $$.   

I kinda thought the same thing, but after some thought; I was concerned about getting the boat put back together. Without taking it apart ;where does it all go?????
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 8:26pm
UPDATE:
On the 3 boats I went and checked boat #2 -WOW pictures sure do lie, boat was a pile of junk. Most of the wood under the upholstry was so rotten it had fallen all the seats were shot ,bottom look liked that ran over a rock pile,
While I was in the area found what started out as a nice 87. New upholestry new floor(was really solid). Mainly cosmectic that I could see.
I was told by a person here that works on these type boats, and told me to take a 9/16 socket and turn the bolts under motor cover. All turned except the 4 closest to motor,
I guess that means stringer is bad?????
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 8:36pm
99.9 % that the number 1 boat is a saltwater boat. Galvanized trailer, map shows something like 6 blocks in from the ocean...
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 8:47pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Stringer inspection video

Great vid.

Is it very hard to get the carpet and flooring up to check the stringers? I guess you would have to have the owners permission to tear apart their boat first.

Also is it just the 2 stringers , and do they go from front to back? Anyone tore one apart?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

UPDATE:
I was told by a person here that works on these type boats, and told me to take a 9/16 socket and turn the bolts under motor cover.

He may work on them but sounds like he doesn't know much about stringer rot. Yes if they turn it's not good BUT, the test is too localized. Click on the link to Tim's thread on checking for stringer rot and don't listen to your friend.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 11:11pm
There are several threads with pictures. Google site:www.correctcraftfan.com stringers. You will see the construction of the stringers.

I think you did the best thing, by the way. Take a look at several. Don’t get in a rush. The more you look, the better you will know what to look for or expect.
'92 Sport Nautique
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2018 at 1:24am
Originally posted by scootdogydog scootdogydog wrote:

Agreed

First boat for $1500 is my favorite.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2018 at 1:37pm
what part of FL are you in?
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2018 at 3:51pm
NE of Gainesville
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic