NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski boom repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
chau8238 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chau8238 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski boom repair
    Posted: February-14-2018 at 11:10am
Hi guys, the ski boom in my 73 Mustang is loose, the wood that supports it rotted out and right now has angle brackets supporting it to the stringers. I can replace the wood, but I was wondering if anyone has used the aluminum setup on the later boats, I like how it runs the lengths of the stringers and would be a lot sturdier.

Similar to this.
http://www.mindspring.com/~bwmitchell/Boat%20Pics/Nautique/Aug%2015%202.jpg
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 11:15am
Phillip,
I suspect the rotted wood around the pylon is just the "tip of the iceberg". Have you checked wood condition elsewhere? Have you checked you alignment?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
chau8238 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chau8238 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 11:25am
Oh I'm sure it could probably use new stringers. But the couple places I drilled into the stringers seems pretty solid still. The alignment I haven't checked, but I need to replace the shaft anyways since it isn't press fit in when I bought the boat. It was modified and has two bolts locking it in place. I'm looking into the dual taper, I just wish they weren't so much.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 12:08pm
Modifying the floor and stringer design to accommodate an engine cradle is certainly possible, but not a minor undertaking. Most people do not bother to make these changes unless undergoing full stringer and floor replacement.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Modifying the floor and stringer design to accommodate an engine cradle is certainly possible, but not a minor undertaking. Most people do not bother to make these changes unless undergoing full stringer and floor replacement.

Underline the part that says"not a minor undertaking"
I made my pylon mount and engine cradle separately. Certainly a major task.

pylon mount

engine cradle
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 2:19pm
I've seen a few other brand pylon brackets for sale on eBay. You don't necessarily need material in front and behind.

No matter what opening up the floor and fabricating a bracket, installing and closing up the floor is still going to take some work...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by chau8238 chau8238 wrote:

The alignment I haven't checked, but I need to replace the shaft anyways since it isn't press fit in when I bought the boat. It was modified and has two bolts locking it in place.

Phillip,
The two bolts you mention holding the coupling to the shaft, are they set screws like this:

If so, more than likely the set screws are original. Before the common practice of installing safety collars on the prop shaft, the set screws were used as a safety means. If due to misalignment the shaft and coupling became loose from fretting, the set screws where there to keep the shaft from exiting out the back of the boat.

I suspect your boat has or has had some bad alignment fretting the fit at the coupling and shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
chau8238 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chau8238 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 3:21pm
I'm kind of wanting something that bolts in front of the motor so that it pretty much doesn't interfere with anything else and easy to install.

As for my shaft coupling, it has been modified some since there are nuts welded to it. The shaft can slip in/out easily if the set screws aren't tight. So a new shaft is needed and then I planned to adjust the alignment if it's out. It has 3 bolts total, one is where the keyway is. The other two on the shaft directly.

https://i.imgur.com/I2NZgO0.jpg
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 5:14pm

As for my shaft coupling, it has been modified some since there are nuts welded to it.

Modified? Not necessarily true. It was common to drill dimples into the shaft for the set screws to seat into. One method of dimpling was to press the shaft onto the coupling half, drill through the coupling wall slightly into the shaft and then the nuts were welded on. This way, drilling didn't disturb any pre existing threads tapped into the wall of the coupling.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 5:23pm
The same guy probably used nails for cotter pins too.   Surely you don't endorse that method Pete.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

The same guy probably used nails for cotter pins too.   Surely you don't endorse that method Pete.

Certainly not to retain the coupling but as a safety, the set screws were used for years and years. My 1915 launch prop shaft had set screws running into dimples on the shaft. Duane, lots has been done through the years without the advantage of having a tool maker on board!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 5:32pm
Retired Tool Maker Pete
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 5:40pm
What welded on nuts?
chau8238 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chau8238 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 5:46pm
If my boat wasn't full of stuff right now, I'd get some better pics. It definitely has some hack job fixes on it. I've slowly been sorting it out and fixing things as I can, but I'm not made of money.

He used a cotter pin.....
https://i.imgur.com/iUwk8q5.jpg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 5:56pm

It definitely has some hack job fixes on it. He used a cotter pin.....
https://i.imgur.com/iUwk8q5.jpg

You are lucky that that cotter pin did not fly out.
Helpful constructive criticism:   Replace that cotter pin and install a new one it correctly.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 6:04pm
This is good reading for just about any fix.
AC 43.13-1B - Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices - Aircraft Inspection and Repair [Large AC. This includes Change 1.]

Just Google    "Ac 43.13"
Chapter 7   page 26
This book is the Bible for aircraft repair techniques
Duane

link
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 6:16pm
Phillip,
I know you're not flying or repairing aircraft so here's a picture of the proper cotter pin install in a castle nut.

Long leg over the end of the shaft. Short leg clipped to fit laying flat on nut flat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Long leg over the end of the shaft. Short leg clipped to fit laying flat on nut .

Sounds like Quinner whispering sweet nothings to his date.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
chau8238 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chau8238 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 6:51pm
I know how to install a cotter pin, that's an old pic and it has since been changed. I'm just saying, he didn't use a nail.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic