Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Platform mounting holes concerns

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
EArnold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EArnold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Platform mounting holes concerns
    Posted: February-25-2018 at 12:46pm
Hi all, please see the below photos of the gel coat around my swim platform mounts.

I've read what I can find about 'spider cracks' and understand the general idea is they're harmless, but while I have the platform off for some teak care I wanted to ask what I can do to clean these areas up. Some light wet sanding to remove the crud seems like a good idea, but I wasn't sure what grits to start with or finish with, if I would need to move all the way through the buffing 3M products as well, etc.

Also, the platform was quite loose when I removed it. Is it likely that resetting the bolts in some fresh 5200 could sure up the fit, or should I look into redrilling/going a size larger to give the threads more grip. For clarification, the top two bolts on all four mounts were decently secure, however all four lower screws were hand loose and would slowly creep out of the boat, requiring me to turn them back in after a few hours on the water.

Thanks in advance for your usual sage advice.

~Evan

88' SN 2001 New to me in 2016
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2018 at 2:07pm
To stop the cracks from "growing" use a small drill bit and drill thru the gel TO the fiberglass at the end of the crack. This practice is known as Stop Drilling. If it's under the platform bracket then you don't need to do anything further unless you want to. If you have some gelcoat then fill it in with that. Could take a dremel tool and route out the crack from start to finish and fill it in with gel.

The elongated holes for the attach brackets is another animal. Best way to solve that problem is remove the fuel tank and either go back with stainless through bolts and seal em up with 5200/ 4200 OR fill the holes with milled fibers mixed into epoxy and redrill the holes once it cures and reattach the brackets with Stainless lag bolts with 5200/4200.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2018 at 5:25pm
Can you get to the outside mounts from inside? Mine had floor all the way to the back.   When I did floor and stringers, I left space to access the bolts and used starboard backer plates.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic