Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 Ski Nautique Propeller not disengaging

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
stevedsr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevedsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 Ski Nautique Propeller not disengaging
    Posted: February-28-2018 at 10:08pm
I bought a 1979 Ski Nautique about 3 years ago. I've since rebuilt the engine 351 Commander) and transmission and have been enjoying it. However, this week out of nowhere, while putting it in the lake, I noticed the propeller didn't disengage and I had enough forward motion in idle to jam the bow against the trailer. I killed the engine and pushed out into the lake and started up again. I was able to start the engine with no problem. I was able to go forward but when I put the boat in reverse, I kept going forward until it stalled. I'm hoping it's not the bushing at the propeller shaft. Let me know your thoughts.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2018 at 10:15pm
Steve,
What you have is called a "dirty" neutral. It's caused by warped clutch plates. The warping is common when a trans is overheated. Typically a new clutch pack will take care of the problem. You said you rebuilt the trans. What did you do with it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
stevedsr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevedsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 12:31pm
thank you. I actually had a guy rebuild it for me. I don't know what he did with the parts. The fluid was red and full. I was running it the week before at the put in, maybe it overheated then. Now I have to research the clutch plates and how to fix them...hopefully it won't be another couple of boat bucks (1 boat buck = $1000).
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 12:40pm
You should first disconnect your shift cable from the transmission and ensure it is working correctly when you are in forward will it firmly lock in forward, when you are in neutral is it firmly in neutral, etc... if all that is working correctly then yes you may need to open up that transmission.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 12:55pm
I think, like Joe said make sure it's not a linkage issue first.

If the boat was running fine the week before with no slippage issues, no engine overheat issues, I doubt that you overheated your clutch plates sitting on the trailer.

What do you mean by "when I put the boat in reverse, I kept going forward until it stalled."?

With the engine running, when you put it in reverse, does the shaft turn backwards?

In any case, your strut bushing that you asked about isn't the problem.

You may end up inside the transmission again, but check the other stuff first.

stevedsr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevedsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 1:33pm
thanks. when I started the engine the prop shaft was spinning in the forward direction even with the propeller disengaged. When I put it in reverse the throttle cable seemingly pushed the transmission in reverse (pushed the gear shift backwards) but the prop kept spinning in the forward direction. When I was on the open water testing it I could put the throttle in reverse, but the boat kept moving at speed (it would actually speed up the farther back I pushed the throttle). If I moved the throttle too far back the engine stalled.

So, in summary..The boat went forward under power with the prop disengaged and in neutral. It would speed up in forward if I throttled forward and would speed up in forward if I throttled in reverse, up to a point it then it would stall.

I'm hoping it's not an expensive fix, but I think I know better at this point.
stevedsr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevedsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 1:36pm
I moved the throttle forward and reverse and it moved the gear arm forward and backward. Is there something more I should do?

I'm starting to wrap my head around the fact that this is not going to be easy.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 3:00pm
A mechanical (clutch pack related) dirty neutral will persist with the engine off.
See if you can spin the shaft. If requires high effort, clutch plates are warped, or forward piston stuck,

A hydraulic dirty neutral (forward circuit pressurized past spool valve in neutral and reverse) would not persist with the engine off when line pressure is zero.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 3:46pm
as has been suggested, disconnect the shift cable from the transmission shift lever.
Supply water, start boat and watch prop. (be sure and spray lube the strut bearing).
See if manually moving the trans. shift lever affects things. (you won't need to move throttle to do this)
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by stevedsr stevedsr wrote:

thanks. when I started the engine the prop shaft was spinning in the forward direction even with the propeller disengaged. When I put it in reverse the throttle cable seemingly pushed the transmission in reverse (pushed the gear shift backwards) but the prop kept spinning in the forward direction. When I was on the open water testing it I could put the throttle in reverse, but the boat kept moving at speed (it would actually speed up the farther back I pushed the throttle). If I moved the throttle too far back the engine stalled.

So, in summary..The boat went forward under power with the prop disengaged and in neutral. It would speed up in forward if I throttled forward and would speed up in forward if I throttled in reverse, up to a point it then it would stall.

I'm hoping it's not an expensive fix, but I think I know better at this point.

Based on your description here, you're gonna be getting into the internals of the transmission again since no matter what you do it's stuck in Forward.

If you lay under the boat on the trailer with the engine off can you rotate the prop shaft or does it not turn at all?

How long ago was the rebuild?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 6:39pm
Your 79 should have a Velvet Drive. Correct?
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

How long ago was the rebuild?

Yes, how long ago and:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve,
You said you rebuilt the trans. What did you do with it?

Also, do you remember where you placed the big clutch spring snap ring that's between the clutch pack and clutch forward piston? It's really a spacer and not a snap ring.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 8:15pm
This was in his answer to your first post Pete

thank you. I actually had a guy rebuild it for me. I don't know what he did with the parts.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

This was in his answer to your first post Pete

thank you. I actually had a guy rebuild it for me. I don't know what he did with the parts.   

ken,
Thanks. Yup, I missed it!

Steve,
The week you had the boat running before the trans problem, did you ever have any engine cooling problems?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
stevedsr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevedsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2018 at 2:59pm
I can't turn the prop with the engine off. Looks like I have to figure out how to repair this too.

What a love/hate relationship this is...
stevedsr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevedsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2018 at 3:16pm
I really don't know, my temp gauge is out, I've been checking my transmission fluid and it was still red in color. I did put on a new intake hose that is is much easier to get to to clean the intake filter. The temperature gauge is being replaced during this repair.   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2018 at 3:55pm

I can't turn the prop with the engine off. Looks like I have to figure out how to repair this too.

What a love/hate relationship this is...

Well your transmission is mechanically bound up in forward if you can't turn the prop by hand with the engine off because you're trying to turn the engine too, so you only have one problem. A jammed up transmission.

I guess that's a little bad news and a little good news
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2018 at 5:46pm
He might remove the 4 bolts holding the prop shaft to the transmission and see if the tranny will turn when it is not connected to the shaft.. Just to rule out a bind in the prop shaft alignment.   The tranny will be coming out either way for repair so it is not wasting time.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2018 at 11:43am
these are such simple transmissions. I ve never messed with one before until I did mine a couple of years ago.   its pretty strait forward. rebuild kit with all new clutch plates.   If bearings are good then its pretty simple..   Got min right first try.
stevedsr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevedsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2018 at 2:55pm
Engine rebuild about 2.5 years ago. Transmission 14 months

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2018 at 2:59pm

Engine rebuild about 2.5 years ago. Transmission 14 months

In the 14 months, did the trans ever run normal?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2018 at 3:19pm

I bought a 1979 Ski Nautique about 3 years ago. I've since rebuilt the engine 351 Commander) and transmission and have been enjoying it. However, this week out of nowhere, while putting it in the lake, I noticed the propeller didn't disengage and I had enough forward motion in idle to jam the bow against the trailer

Here Pete, from post one in the thread, this should answer your question
stevedsr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevedsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2018 at 4:28pm
I think so...good response while driving. don't know if it was running hot or not...I have a sneaking suspicion that the guy didn't do a great job.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2018 at 5:43pm

I think so...good response while driving. don't know if it was running hot or not...I have a sneaking suspicion that the guy didn't do a great job.

Steve,
If it ran for the 14 months and then locked up, we're back to a possible overheat. It may not be a poor rebuild job? The trans has got to be opened up to determine the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
stevedsr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevedsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2018 at 7:31pm
Gotcha. I'm going to work on it as soon as I can.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2018 at 7:38pm

I did put on a new intake hose that is is much easier to get to to clean the intake filter. The temperature gauge is being replaced during this repair.   

Steve,
Did you just lengthen a hose? You didn't reroute a hose?? Just asking trying to get an idea of a possible overheat.

Also, you mentioned you couldn't turn the prop by hand. Yes, it could be a trans problem but also a prop shaft alignment problem. How's the alignment?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic