NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

83 New Stringers & Floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 9>
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 4:42pm
Anyone know the size of that set screw in the drive shaft housing, looks kike it has been stripped out and will have to drill and tap I guess.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

Anyone know the size of that set screw in the drive shaft housing, looks kike it has been stripped out and will have to drill and tap I guess.

The trans coupling?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 5:57pm
Or strut? And I mention that because he says he's replacing bearings ?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Or strut? And I mention that because he says he's replacing bearings ?

Gary,
Good call. It's hard when some don't use the proper names or post a picture.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 6:37pm
John,
Are you replacing the cutlass bearing in the strut? If so, I typically tap the set screw holes to 1/4-28. The wall of the strut is pretty thin and the reason the 28TPI for some additional threads.

BTW, don't expect the cutlass to just come out easy. They are typically a pretty tight fit. Some need to be sawed and then curled inward. On install, many will chill the cutlass and heat the strut. The other method is to use some threaded rod with large fender washers on the ends to "press" it in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 6:44pm
Sorry it is the strut I'm working on, will have to try and order those set screws.
Thanks
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 6:49pm
will these do the trick? don't know how to make a link
https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Screw-Point-Stainless-Quantity/dp/B07CPH42J6/ref=sr_1_7?crid=UAI51A2NXYWN&dchild=1&keywords=stainless+steel+set+screws+1%2F4-28+x+3%2F16&qid=1585860494&sprefix=stainless+set+screw+1%2F4-28%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-7
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 6:52pm

will these do the trick?
https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Screw-Point-Stainless-Quantity/dp/B07CPH42J6/ref=sr_1_7?crid=UAI51A2NXYWN&dchild=1&keywords=stainless+steel+set+screws+1%2F4-28+x+3%2F16&qid=1585860494&sprefix=stainless+set+screw+1%2F4-28%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-7

Yes, but do you need 100 of them? Your hardware store should have a couple.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 6:57pm
Just posted that for size and stuff , gonna order a couple with drill &tap thing.
Thanks
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2020 at 4:27pm
Just curious. I have been beating on the old sleeve in the shaft and not budging even after cutting. If I remove the strut will that mess up the shaft alignment??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2020 at 4:57pm

Just curious. I have been beating on the old sleeve in the shaft and not budging even after cutting. If I remove the strut will that mess up the shaft alignment??

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
BTW, don't expect the cutlass to just come out easy. They are typically a pretty tight fit. Some need to be sawed and then curled inward.

Did you cut it the full length through the bore? have you bee able to curl it inward on itself making it smaller?

If you remove the strut, then yes a strut to log alignment is recommended.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2020 at 6:27pm
I think it is cut all the way, I'm scared to go too deep. I'll try and curl it when I go back to boat.
Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2020 at 7:10pm
John,
A diamond point or half round chisel is handy to curl the shell inwards

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2020 at 9:06pm
Thanks
I got it out,used a screwdriver to bend it in-all I had..
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2020 at 10:41pm

Thanks
I got it out,used a screwdriver to bend it in-all I had..

Basic cave man tools   
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 12:45pm
Back on the dash got my new switches, but I see a problem.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 12:56pm
What fuse.?.........there's nothing there

But anyways, the hole just to the right of that hole would have the ignition switch in it and the hole your arrow is pointing at would have the 20 amp ignition fuse in it.    
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

What fuse.?.........there's nothing there

But anyways, the hole just to the right of that hole would have the ignition switch in it and the hole your arrow is pointing at would have the 20 amp ignition fuse in it.    

I meant hole .
Behind the dash is 1 orange wire that goes nowhere and no end on it.I'll post a pic later, getting ready to start work shortly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 1:14pm

I meant hole .
Behind the dash is 1 orange wire that goes nowhere and no end on it.I'll post a pic later, getting ready to start work shortly.

There's no end on the orange wire because there's no fuse but rather a hole.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 1:26pm
Here is what it looks like from behind dash. The fuse is now in the hole but there isn't any wires to go to it. I guess maybe PO removed them??
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 3:02pm
FYI: This is the diagram I'm trying to use ,but as you see it only has 3 switches and 4 fuses on this side.
My boat has 4 switches and 5 fuses.

Need help here it keeps telling me I have already uploaded the file. I have changed the name size and still can't upload…..

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 3:04pm
In the second picture, where's the other end of the Orange wire hooked to the key?

Do you have an ammeter or a voltmeter ? I think I see a voltmeter....maybe
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 3:18pm
I just wired the key switch so I could crank motor while sitting in barn. I havn't looked at hooking that up yet. Still can't figure out why I can't post that diagram....

WOW here it is
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

In the second picture, where's the other end of the Orange wire hooked to the key?

Do you have an ammeter or a voltmeter ? I think I see a voltmeter....maybe

Sorry it Volts on it
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 3:31pm
I'm impressed, did you color that yourself?

I'm saving that diagram for sure.

How about the Orange 10 gauge wire from the alternator connects to the ignition fuse and from the fuse the wire goes to the Batt terminal on the key then you have 20 amp fuse protection for the ignition system.

See the lower right of your picture.

Picture shows an ammeter setup but what I mentioned above should work for you.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 3:40pm
Yep I need to change one that is purple to yellow. When I get it done I'll PM you a copy.
OK will wire it like you say, but still have too many fuses I think....
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 3:47pm
You might be better off with the TRB diagram in the picturefor the ignition side of things.

The Orange wire might be taped off and not used and you would use the 10 gauge Red wire instead.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 4:01pm
JT

If you think you have too many fuses, you probably do   

The second fuse and switch from the top go nowhere/do nothing.

It came that way from CC, but it could be used for whatever.

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 9:34pm
Ken
For some reason can't send you a PM so here is the updated Diagram
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 9:36pm
Fuses
I think I read the switch has a 25 amp fuse, what are the other fuses??
Thanks
JT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic