NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

83 New Stringers & Floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 9>
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 11:36am
Thanks for the input. Think I better fix the rear lift ring before in case I need it..
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 12:04pm
Yes, block it. I found out the hull does change shape when you pull the stringers, even pulling them one at a time.   My boat rides even with driver only now as a result.   it does pitch left with a spotter.   Weight distribution in mine is now opposite of what it was new.      
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 12:11pm
John,
The benefit of leaving it on the trailer is the wishbone design of the trailer bunks is a great method of supporting a stringer less hull. Take the wheels off the trailer and see if that will lower the hull enough for you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
The benefit of leaving it on the trailer is the wishbone design of the trailer bunks is a great method of supporting a stringer less hull. Take the wheels off the trailer and see if that will lower the hull enough for you.

I call BS on this one - mustang probably, 2gen SN maybe - 2001 hull too flat, too much distance to the hull sides and not super duper thick hull. If you were going to leave it on the trailer while replacing stringers I would block the stern/sides and keel towards the front at a minimum.   The wishbone trailer design is great as a trailer for a boat with stringers and with the weight of the drivetrain on the stringers but a flat bottom boat without stringers not so much.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 1:15pm
What did Correct Craft set the bare hull on while the boat was built?
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

You typically would not take the hull out of the mold until after the stringers are mounted
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 2:47pm
Boy Howdy , Maybe better find someone that knows what to do with this, as I get more confused on the plan as I go.....
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

You typically would not take the hull out of the mold until after the stringers are mounted

I get that.
My question remains.

1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 3:33pm
CC left hulls in the mold until they laid up the stringers.   
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 4:44pm
And then they went wishbone dollies
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

And then they went wishbone dollies

Thought so...

Perhaps a problem, but I can't imagine a wishbone trailer isn't adequate support.
The drivetrain, etc. is out, the hull is fully cured, the 2001's had a full-length 'keel' that must provide some rigidity, and the deck is fully secured as well. My .02
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 5:58pm
Joe is right. The deck and keel won’t prevent deformation of a bare hull on a wishbone trailer. The spans are large and the layup isn’t thick. I saw deformation in the 1/4” range on an empty BFN... I bet the flat bottom 2001 would be worse.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 6:02pm
More confused with every post....
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 6:19pm
Don't be confused...

The experts (myself excluded) have weighed in....

Best if you take that flimsy-ass Nautique off the trailer and properly support it.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 6:40pm
Ignore Pete and MourningWood and you'll be fine.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 7:36pm
Who's Pete?
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 9:33pm

Who's Pete?

Who's Brian?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 9:35pm
Who's on Third...
Beg4Wake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beg4Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

Who's on Third...

Exactly! Who's on third!!

I'm following this thread so I can see what you do on the floor installation part. My stringers are done but only a sealed marine plywood was laid back down as the deck. I don't really trust that so I was thinking of replacing that with Coosa board and glassing over that. I plan on having the deck and all interior painted along with the outside hull so I want to get a good solid base set so it'll never have to be ripped out! Even though mine will mostly be an evening cruiser and show piece boat.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 2:07pm
Painting the deck and inside of hull instead of carpet?

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Beg4Wake Beg4Wake wrote:

Who's on Third...

Exactly! Who's on third!!

I'm following this thread so I can see what you do on the floor installation part. My stringers are done but only a sealed marine plywood was laid back down as the deck. I don't really trust that so I was thinking of replacing that with Coosa board and glassing over that. I plan on having the deck and all interior painted along with the outside hull so I want to get a good solid base set so it'll never have to be ripped out! Even though mine will mostly be an evening cruiser and show piece boat.

Check out shierh's rebuild; He killed it with Coosa... Hopefully if I get that far will somewhat copy his plan.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 4:46pm
Beg4 - If you add a layer of glass to your existing ply floor, it will probably outlast your ownership (assuming it isn't rotted).

Would save a bunch of hrs & $
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Beg4Wake Beg4Wake wrote:

I'm following this thread so I can see what you do on the floor installation part. My stringers are done but only a sealed marine plywood was laid back down as the deck. I don't really trust that so I was thinking of replacing that with Coosa board and glassing over that.

Brian,
How thick is the marine grade ply you laid down? Is it the BS 1088 grade? Did you seal the ply on all sides with CPES and epoxy? As Chris mentioned, glass over what's been done may be fine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 10:33pm
Suggestions on easy/someway to remove the wood on transom under the lift eyelet? I used a 30 grit pad that almost went through back of boat ,but didn't do much to the old plywood....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 10:49am
John,
Have you tried to just pry the old wood off? The bond may be bad due to the moisture but, if not, you should be able to peel back the ply laminations at least down to the one ply stuck to the transom. Then be careful and grind the one ply off.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 11:09am
you could use a power -hand held wood planer.   

I believe the wood is tabbed in with one layer of chop strand, should be able to cut that off with grinder and then peal it off from leading edge.   Don't pry too hard as to cause cracking on the deck above it though.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 11:56am
Thanks
Gonna try a wire wheel on grinder to cut into what's left then go from there. The glass on one side was almost 3/8 " thick while the other was like 1/8". CC must had no quality control....
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 12:11pm
I said in other post that these boats were cheaply built, in the day, bayliner quality with premium price.   

Try measuring some stuff and you will see that they boat isn't symmetrical at all.   Gunnels on either side are different widths . I made template of one side to have seadeck pads made and flipped the template to other side and it wasn't even close.    My engine box isn't symmetrical either.   look at the facets at the rear of your engine box and you will see they are different on each side.
Drilled lag bolts into a wood stringer and didn't even try to seal them. Cut holes in wood stringers and didn't seal. on and on.   When I was a kid we believed the CC to be a far superior built boat, well they were not.    
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 12:13pm

The glass on one side was almost 3/8 " thick while the other was like 1/8".

The hull or the glass tabbing in the wood?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 12:19pm
I have have good luck using an oscillating tool to shave off layers, might work on the rotted ply.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic