NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

83 New Stringers & Floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 9>
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 83 New Stringers & Floor
    Posted: March-07-2018 at 9:23pm
Figured I would just try a thread on my 83 project if OK with y'all
Motor is OUT

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2018 at 9:33pm
Cut the passenger side floor partly out

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2018 at 9:38pm
Tank and exhaust out

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2018 at 10:30pm
Don't look good
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2018 at 10:37pm
Took some Foam out in big chuncks

Then this mess
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2018 at 11:19pm
keep it up!
'92 Sport Nautique
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2018 at 11:34pm
Just a note for foam removal doubters. This boat has not been used in over a year. Every piece of foam I have removed is wet. the part next to the battery box actually had water on the floor, below the foam.
I was gonna leave some cause it looked and felt dry-WRONG- it's all coming out
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2018 at 9:31am
A question--As long as I leave the stringers in can I remove all the floor?

And any suggestions as how to get that carpet out, man wish I could find that glue to use today??_LOL
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2018 at 10:21am
John,
You will want to remove all the flooring and the stringers down to the bare hull. Do you have the boat on the trailer? You may want to consider some extra support if hull shows any signs of flexing or "oil canning".

The Henry 263 is a "pro" grade that's waterproof in 2 hours. It's harder to find than the typical Henry 663 you find at most stores.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2018 at 10:33am
[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] John,
You will want to remove all the flooring and the stringers down to the bare hull. Do you have the boat on the trailer? You may want to consider some extra support if hull shows any signs of flexing or "oil canning".

I was asking about floor as I read should do one side first. So can I take the complete floor out and leave stringers until I do one side and keep the hull OK??? I think I'm asking this right

Boat is on trailer.

Thanks for glue info.
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2018 at 2:35pm
Yes you can remove all of the floor, it wont hert anything. If you remove your primary stringer and secondary on one side at a time you should be ok. But if it was me I would build up a couple extra supports if you remove both primary and both secondary stringers you need to have supports on both sides of boat if you're going to leave it on the trailer
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2018 at 9:20pm
Got to the thing that looks like a footrest on drivers side. Is it necessary to take this out also??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2018 at 10:11pm
John,
The stringers (and the foam) extend forward under the kick so yes, it needs to come out too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2018 at 10:38pm
Oh boy getting harder and harder
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2018 at 1:51pm
I read to not pull motor bracket with motor, when can I take it out ?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

John,
I'm assuming you are referring to what some people call the engine cradle. You can pull it out anytime after the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
I'm assuming you are referring to what some people call the engine cradle. You can pull it out anytime after the engine.

Correct
Thanks
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2018 at 4:41pm
Got the Pylon and Motor cradle out ..
Still chopping Foam, actually found some dry foam and wood in back.
Question- Should I try and save these boxes???

Tried to load a picture, biut said Upload error not enough space on disc..What disc???

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2018 at 4:56pm
What "boxes" John? If you are talking wood, I don't feel it's worth the effort to scab in new to old.

Regarding the disc, the site is having problems this morning. Keith and family are probably off on a spring ski trip and can't do a reboot!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2018 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

What "boxes" John? If you are talking wood, I don't feel it's worth the effort to scab in new to old.

Regarding the disc, the site is having problems this morning. Keith and family are probably off on a spring ski trip and can't do a reboot!!

The 2 battery boxes in front of the pylon?
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2018 at 3:08pm
I got them out and am almost to front....Notice puddle of water with no where to go

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2018 at 3:30pm
I know I'm nowhere ready to put stringers back in. I was wondering can Oak be used as a stringer?
Have alot and my neighbor just got a saw mill....
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2018 at 4:53pm

I know I'm nowhere ready to put stringers back in. I was wondering can Oak be used as a stringer?

I know some guys will chime in on this that know more than me but I would be concerned about the oak rotting. Douglas Fir is what I went with in mine. It really isn't that bad expensive. Some people struggle to find it but I luckily found it in our hometown very quickly. Just call around to some lumber yards. Also, make sure it's moister level is low before you fiberglass it in.
92 Sport nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2018 at 5:03pm

White or red?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2018 at 5:19pm
Mostly Laurel Oak, also have some Hickory. Just curious..
Thinking about the composites also..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2018 at 5:26pm
John,
No on the Laurel Oak and a definite no to the Hickory. Both are not at all resistant to rot. Even with CPES, I'd worry about them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2018 at 11:50pm
Yea the more I read the more I'm leaning to the composite
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2018 at 10:53pm
Update:
Cleaned the mess so I could see.Next will get in and cut out the front..

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2018 at 10:16pm
Question- What is kcel for floor replacement, might be spelled wrong??
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2018 at 12:16am

Question- What is kcel for floor replacement, might be spelled wrong??

Probably klegecell.

If you google it, you'll get a lot of info
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 9>
  Share Topic