NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

95' Nautique Project ... expanded

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 11:13am
Or ruffle Pete's feathers and put on an orange one.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 5:21pm
Red filter.....no way!   Instead of cleaning out that pesky fuel tank, how about one of these:

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Red filter.....no way!   Instead of cleaning out that pesky fuel tank, how about one of these:

JQ

Yeah, double duty too - when it's dry you can use it as a fender or a throwable
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Or ruffle Pete's feathers and put on an orange one.

I'm embarrassed to say we have the orange brand at the HD and it's the only brand we stock

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 10:50pm
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 1:37am
Motorcraft@O'Reilly's

There is an HD a little over a mile down the road. But there's an O'Reilly's about a half mile closer.   Sorry Pete, but I don't really like orange either
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2018 at 12:38am
Well guys, I finished all the odds & ends late last night including reinstalling the driver seat. Topped off the battery today while at work and put some fresh fuel in tonight when I got home. I didn't make it home in time to do the 20 minute lifter break-in that Mark outlined, but I just had to turn the key to make sure the fuel would prime and the engine would turn over with no hic-ups. Half a revolution and she growled, grumbled and rumbled !! Kind of scared me at first because I really didn't expect it to take off that quickly. Of course I shut her down quickly ... fighting the urge to give it just a few revs    I don't know if I'll be getting home late again tomorrow night again ... but soon, gentlemen, soon
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2018 at 1:08am
Quick update - Connected the water tonight and started her up. Initially, I thought timing was way off and I couldn't get it to settle down. Then I remembered about the "plug" I was supposed to remove to set the initial timing. That got it and I was able to confirm my guess at stabbing the distributor was nearly perfect - that doesn't happen for me too often I also noticed a fuel leak but at first couldn't spot where it was coming from. Found it after a bit of searching - I just didn't get one of the fuel rail fittings completely tightened.

Ran the engine for 22 minutes, varying the rpm somewhat but keeping it somewhere between 1800 and 2200 for the most part complying with the cam and lifter break-in procedure Mark laid out. All in all a good first run, though there are a couple minor bugs I'll have to chase down such as the tach isn't working and I seem to have developed a leak at both exhaust manifold elbow fittings. Even this new engine has a bit of a surging problem from time to time so I am suspecting that pesky IAC is still not quite right somehow, unless someone has a better thought.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2018 at 1:31am
Well done lad. That boat will make you proud...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2018 at 1:40am
Very Nice, my 95 sometimes surges also. Never enough to bother me.
Glad it is running with no strange noises!
Mark
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2018 at 7:27am
Well done Joe.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 3:43pm
Running the engine a bit more and for some reason I can't get the idle down below about 750-800. I've backed the idle screw off so it's not engaging at all and confirmed the butterfly is completely closed and I assembled everything with all new gaskets - it just won't idle down any further. Any ideas?

Thanks
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 4:04pm
There was a surging problem in the early ones that is why pcm updated the ecm’s, 290 tune opposed to the later 300. Tag is on the ecm as to what you have. Joe try disconnecting the throttle cable and see if it idles down. Maybe it’s in the wrong hole or the bracket is bent from the P.O.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 4:06pm
Guess I did not see the part about you seeing the throttle plate closed
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 4:35pm
Is this at normal 160 degree coolant temperature?

If temperature is low or the computer thnks it's low, there is extra spark advance provided by the computer and the IAC allows more air to bypass the throttle plate too.

It might also be due to too many different colors being used in the engine compartment at the same time
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 6:00pm
Yep Ken, that was it .... too many colors on the engine. Painted everything black and all is good

Seriously though, yes it was at op temp of 160 +/-. However I did reuse most of my old sensors so maybe the temp sensor for the ecm is bad?
Though I don't really see the connection, but the new engine does have higher compression that a stock GT40 and the cam is a little bit more radical as well. Is there a possibility the ecm is trying to compensate and somehow causing the idle increase?
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 8:55pm
Maybe the ECM can't compensate for the cam and compression changes

Has this run on the water yet?

If it has, how does it run through the rest of the RPM range?

If you haven't had it on the water, I think I'd try that before really getting too concerned

And remember..............you're in uncharted territory with these changes on a GT40   

sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 10:29pm
Congrats on the progress.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 1:29am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Maybe the ECM can't compensate for the cam and compression changes

Has this run on the water yet?

If it has, how does it run through the rest of the RPM range?

If you haven't had it on the water, I think I'd try that before really getting too concerned

And remember..............you're in uncharted territory with these changes on a GT40   

No, haven't been to the lake yet and I was sort of thinking the same - just trying to get a jump on things if there happened to be an issue.

Uncharted territory .... yep. Cam really didn't bother me as he followed my instructions by not getting too carried away. But the compression sort of threw me a bit when he told me they'd set it up for 9.5:1   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 1:53am
Thought I have heard of others changing to the higher compression P heads before with no problems. Did they go higher than what those do?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 4:14am
Well Gary it's all a little confusing to me because I'd always heard that the original gt40 heads added more compression over the stock 351 heads. And yet looking at the specs from the owners manuals, the std. 240hp & 260hp 351's are listed as 8.3: 1 .... but so is the gt40. And while the gt-p heads do have a smaller chamber and thus will increase compression somewhat, again my understanding is that it's not a huge increase, maybe 0.5: 1 give or take.   So is the original documentation of their compression incorrect or was I misinformed about there even being a difference in the stock vs (original) gt40 heads?
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 4:51am
Compression change will have no influence on the ECM.
The cam change with the early Ford Fuel Injection is pretty well known to cause issues.
They can be worked around.   My buddy's son has tweaked his to work with twin turbos and it runs just fine but he had to learn a lot about the ECM to make it happen.
I would go to the Ford Mustang forum's to see how much cam the ECM can work with.
750 RPM at idle may only be 600 RPM in gear idle so as Keno suggested you might be fine as is. High idle many times is a sign of a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake system.
On a brand new engine be careful to not let it heat up at all and never accelerate hard till it has been at full temp for a few minutes. On a brand new engine if you accelerate hard while the block is still cold you risk scuffing a piston. The more it breaks in the more this risk fades away..   I am totally willing to run a new engine at wide open throttle after warm up but as soon as it gets close to max RPM back it off and let it cool with easier motoring.   Full throttle actually helps the new piston rings seat properly.
On these maiden voyages stop every few minutes and lift the cover to check everything out.   Check hose clamps, those heavy rubber clamps don't tighten well cold but can be tightened easy when warm while the boat is being used.
You touched so many nuts and bolts to install this new beast it is easy to find one or two that never got torqued properly. It happens.
Looking forward to the water test results.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 3:50pm
Thanks for all the input Mark. Ken and Gary as well. I know air leaks can cause the idle issue and that was one of the first things I checked. I'm 95% or more sure there isn't one, but again it may only become apparent once on the water and under load. I cleaned all the mating surfaces very well and installed all new gaskets everywhere as well as making sure everything was torqued to spec - one of the plusses I suppose of having so much down time waiting for the ling block to arrive.
I wish that someone had the machining specs for the original gt40 cam so I could do a side by side comparison. But by the way it idles and how it sounds my guess is that while it is a bit healthier, it's likely to be manageable by the ECM since she seems to idle smooth and rev well with no hic-ups. This weekend under some load I suppose will tell us much more    
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 5:09pm
Hi Joe

Sometimes I just amaze myself with my ability to remember stuff that's worthless to 99.9% of the world, but here's an old thread from "another site" with some good info.

It shows the cam specs for a 285 hp Indmar 351 which are probably the same or really really close to the GT-40.

Kyle on that site tells how he got those numbers by sending a cam to Comp Cams and having it measured and duplicated

It's a little better than a 240 hp 351w cam.

I'll let you judge the validity of the info

You might even see a familiar CCF name in that thread

link
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 5:13pm
I have heard Joe but not confirmed that a 40 cam specs are - 210/219 duration @.050, 115 LSA, 456/457 intake / exhaust lift
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I have heard Joe but not confirmed that a 40 cam specs are - 210/219 duration @.050, 115 LSA, 456/457 intake / exhaust lift

Same numbers as the link to Teamtalk I gave Joe.

PS the link has a link to the cam card in a post by Kyle

Post #13 has the link to the card.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2018 at 5:35pm
Your typing faster than me today plus I had to find out where I had that info . Not to go off on another road but to the oil pump info on that thread I remember reading a number of years ago when Formula One was using V12's and 10's that someone's oil pumps only put out 10 lbs of pressure to keep parasitic load down. May have been BMW who's engines also spun at 19,000 RPM's. Of course at the time they used an engine for qualifying,then changed engines for the race,then rebuilt it after the race.Now days they only get so many engine changes then after they use that up get penalized and dropped down the grid.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 1:26am
Awesome, thanks guys this helps a lot ! The specs for the Comp cam installed are
.478 / .485 lift intake/exhaust   and 254 / 258 duration Intake/exhaust - so a bit more lift but apparently a marked increase in duration.   Hmmm ....

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 1:56am
You didn't read the cam card in the Mastercraft link Joe, otherwise you'd see some different duration numbers at .006 in lift.

Here's a picture I took of the printed out version I saved a number of years ago.

The numbers you should be interested in to compare to what you give are
.456 intake lift       .457 exhaust lift

256 deg intake duration at .006 tappet lift   268 deg exhaust duration at .006 tappet lift

Otherwise you're comparing apples to bananas

The shorter duration numbers ( 210 and 219 degrees) are at .050 tappet lift
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2018 at 9:16am
Comparing your numbers to the original numbers,they're both pretty mild as far as cams go.

Not a whole lot of difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
  Share Topic