NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

95' Nautique Project ... expanded

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2018 at 4:26pm
Finally got the carpet installed and reinstalled the engine cradle.   Now for the grueling task of recovering all of the kick plates, covers, etc.

I took my exhaust manifolds and a few other things to a place to get them sandblasted and powder coated. Should be ready today, though I won't have the engine for several more weeks. Well, progress is progress.....
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2018 at 4:30pm
Did you install the engine cradle over the carpet?
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2018 at 6:09pm
Well Tim, that's the way it came out and by the looks of the carpet it was the original, factory installation. Perhaps they didn't do it that way? IDK ... I wrestled over that decision for a while and even did a search on the forum, but as lacking as it seems I am with this forum when it comes to its search engine, I may have missed something.   Regardless, I wasn't really liking the idea of just having the carpet cut to the edge of the cradle as I figured it could easily start peeling up and fraying over time. I've seen that before with a couple of friends that had fairly new carpet and only a few years in it didn't look so good.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2018 at 6:23pm
Just to double check. It's better to use google as a search engine. Type this as follows in google.

What you want to search site:correctcraftfan.com
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2018 at 7:44pm
There are a lot of ways to search.

If you want to find something and you know who posted it you can type for example

correctcraftfan 8122pbrainard tube and read all about Pete's love for tubes but you still have to weed through a bunch of posts where he might have talked about fuel line tubing, muffler tubes dipstick tubes etc.

Or you can leave out the name

Just a few less words than what sport1999 used above.

So, Joe did you just buy a 50 dollar timing cover on Ebay. I was gonna post a link for you yesterday and it was just sold. There's still a 289 dollar new one from Michigan Motorz if you just gotta have one or you could check with Jody at Florida Inboards. He seems to have some every year when he's cleaning out and he doesn't charge much for them.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2018 at 9:16pm
Wait .... Pete loves tubes?   
Didn't see that one coming. Figured a pillar of the CC site would be a die-hard slalom guy
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2018 at 4:56pm
Your interior is looking fantastic. The boat will be better than new when completed.
Mark
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2018 at 9:23pm
Yes, it's coming along - sides and floor the last couple of days and the 10 loose pieces over the next few. I have to make new panels for the drivers kick panel and it's accompanying side panel due to rot at the bottom. While I'm at it I thought I'd make a new panel for around the controls since the original was too decayed to reuse after I installed the new control.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2018 at 10:19pm
You are doing a great job. Curious - was the engine cradle painted in your boat before you removed it? Mine was just raw aluminum color (1993). Everything you are doing is looking VERY familiar. While the boat is apart - I'd highly recommend purchasing and installing a new throttle cable, transmission cable and steering cable. There is no time in the future where it will be as easy to install those items as it is right now.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2018 at 12:01am
No, It was raw aluminum like yours. Looked terrible - corroded and pitted in spots. No way to make it look polished and new so I wire brushed the entire thing and coated it with Rustoleum rust reformer primer (great stuff btw) then several coats of engine enamel.

In regards to the cables, those are perhaps one of only a few things on the boat, save the interior, that any of the PO's had replaced with new. I'd say none of them are more than a couple years old so at least there's a few items I don't have to replace/ rebuild/ renew !       
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2018 at 12:30am
Just occurred to me Saturday I'd better get all the wiring for the amp and tower speakers done now, before the engine and interior get in my way.

Since I had to make new panels for the driver kick panel and side anyway I extended the side out to accommodate the long amp and extended both upward to move the bolt-ons higher to help avoid future damage.

Went ahead with the installation of the #2 battery - with the switch it can be isolated so it shouldn't interfere with the engine electronics installation. That way I could check out the new amp, make sure all is well. And all is well - sounds great with my 1 installed speaker! Can't wait to get the rest in ... but that'll have to wait till after the engine is in and running   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2018 at 12:38am
YAY, I"M   DONE !!!     All ready for boating season!    

Wait,   I think I may be missing something ....   maybe a few somethings     

5 weeks and counting .....
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2018 at 2:30am
It looks great. Where did you order your carpet from and what Oz. is it?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2018 at 4:41am
Very nice progress so far.   Looking at the Stereo set up you must be planning on rocking the entire lake. Might need a portable generator to help keep the batteries up!
Just joking but this may be a good time to look at a higher amp alternator to handle your new amp draw.
We had a GMC Denali with the Bose system and I don't think it was that big compared to many aftermarket systems but if you played the stereo loud while washing the car it would drain the battery.   Gave you about a one hour play time on the single 850 amp battery.   I added a second battery in it later. I think it had a factory 130 amp alternator.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2018 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Wisky Badger Wisky Badger wrote:

It looks great. Where did you order your carpet from and what Oz. is it?

Thanks ! I ordered carpet from Christine's. They have two oz options: 14 and 30(ish). I ordered the 14 because I was going to be cleaning up and reusing the carpet molding which on my era SN will only accept up to 16oz. And really, though it sounds good to have thick plushy carpet, in practical use it isn't a good idea because it stays damp much, much longer. My last boat had fairly thick carpet like that and it took forever to dry out. Didn't hurt anything really, but it was snap-out installed on a full fiberglass self bailing inner liner and it had rubber backing. But on a glue-down that's not very advisable even with my fiberglass floor - the excess moisture can breed mold and mildew in the right conditions
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2018 at 5:04pm
Looks good. Keep it up.
'92 Sport Nautique
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2018 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

... this may be a good time to look at a higher amp alternator to handle your new amp draw

Yeah, I was seriously considering swapping to a higher amp alt now. If it weren't for already having a NIB Arco replacement that I bought last fall before I knew this whole process was going to take place as soon as it has.

Having said that, my last boat was quite a bit larger and had 8 component speakers and 2 large subs with over 2000 watts.   And 2 separate amps. I ran that system off of virtually the same set-up as I have now with the exception of the alternator, which was just the stock 8.1 Merc version, I think at 70 amps vs the 55 amp Arco I have. I never saw a fluctuation with that system because the real key is the batteries, not the alternator.

Amps, especially when powering high demand speakers like subs, require a very fast response from the power source. Alternators weren't designed to provide this. They get this power directly from the battery and if it isn't built to deliver this when called on you get drain from the rest of the system and a heavy load demand from the alternator (if the engine is running) which causes the lights, etc. to dim or pulse.

Most cranking batteries won't keep up with this either, and in fact if you try it can severely reduce the life expectancy of that battery. Cranking batteries were designed to be able to supply large amounts of power very quickly, yes - but only for a very short period of time. When you push them into continual high demand service, such as with a high demand audio system, they will fail very rapidly and you'll get the same pulsing and a very short usable charge. If/ when the charge drops below 10V you're damaging the battery and reducing it's life expectancy. Do that a dozen times over the course of a summer, even with a brand new battery, and it's likely going to be toast.

Deep cycle and dual purpose batteries for the most part will do the job and there are those that are purpose built for the task. And unlike cranking batteries, they can be nearly 100% discharged time after time and never reduce their life. They can also handle the riggers of high demand for long periods of time. Purpose built deep cycles can also provide the same, or near same performance right up to the very end of their charge, unlike typical batteries who's performance would slowly decline as the charge declines.

Just a bit of research from the old boat. It's actually come in very handy many times now.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2018 at 8:10pm
Good work. New carpet sure makes a huge difference. How does things on the engine front while you are fiddling with wiring and such?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2018 at 9:30pm
Machine shop was back-logged 6 weeks or so at the time so it's just a waiting game now till then. I've got 85-90% of everything else done already so there's several weeks left to slowly get that to 100%. Engine bolt-ons are already back from the powdercoaters shop and half of the small brackets and such that I'm just cleaning up and painting are already done as well. I still need to apply the carpet on the kick and side areas of the observer seat and get the small interior piece around the controls to the upholstery shop. My office looks crazy ... new pieces and parts laying around everywhere and in the middle of it all is the engine cover    
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2018 at 3:39am
That is going to be one really fine 1995.
What did you decide to do with the 351W?
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2018 at 11:03am
After much consideration and some input from a couple of mechanic buddies and my machine shop the block is indeed far beyond a salvageable state. However, the internals seem to be in very good shape. They all agree it's strange because a lot of the key components don't appear to have any wear at all - almost like they were brand new.   
So I figure I'll just part out the internals and various other extra parts when I'm done. But the block? Definitely an anchor.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2018 at 8:29pm
Turn the junk block into a mailbox stand...
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2018 at 11:24pm
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 9:51pm
Well colder weather, work and the like has kept me from doing a whole lot lately, but considering I've got another 5 or 6 weeks before I get my long block from the machine shop I figure it's not going to hold the project up any.

In the mean time I continued to strip and repaint the remaining mounting brackets and the transmission oil cooler and also finally got around to making a new base for the trim around the new controls (shifter). Then took it to a local upholstery shop where they came very close to matching the black carbon fiber look vinyl that was used in the rest of the boat before I bought it. Not a 100% perfect match, but very close. Wish there could have been more padding in there but if I'd have had them make it as thick as the combing pad wouldn't have been able to shift

Also took the time to clean up the throttle body and related items and give the applicable parts a few coats of paint, then went ahead with the assembly to the plenum.

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2018 at 7:34pm
Love the RED.

KENO gives me a hard time about the red parts: distributor cap, valve covers, shirt, sunburn, bank account etc.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2018 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Love the RED.

KENO gives me a hard time about the red parts: distributor cap, valve covers, shirt, sunburn, bank account etc.

JQ

I've been kinda slackin' it a bit though

I didn't say anything about the red NO on the good knee

[/QUOTE]   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2018 at 1:30am
It's still "Team Red"

The knee is improving rapidly; Arthroscopic surgery is a modern medical miracle. My dad had the same injury in 1978. He ended up with a wicked 6 inch scar and a very looooong recovery period.

Kudos to Dr. Michael Holmstrom at Intermountain Health Care.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2018 at 2:51am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Love the RED.

JQ

Thanks, I love the red too, though I may end up with a bit more than planned. The powder coat shop got a bit confused and did the exhaust manifolds and risers in the red as well instead of black. They offered to redo them and I told them I'd see how it looked with the the rest bolted on first and let them know. But the more I look at them I'm kinda liking it. ... But we'll see what I think in 5 more weeks when I get the engine on the stand
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2018 at 3:02am
Also just noticed that the new pad around the shifter looks like it's a couple shades off of black in the pic I posted - must be the angle or the light. In person and from different angles it's almost a perfect match.

And, the original intake as well as the plenum were powder coated red, which again I love.
But then I found this and the ol' teen hot rodder in me came out and I just had to snatch it up.

Not sure how that's all going to blend with the color scheme, but there's no denying the 40 or 50 pounds of weight difference

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 12:08am
It's been a couple weeks since the last update so I thought I'd let everyone know what I've been up to. In truth, I've been slacking a bit and haven't done much. I wasn't completely lax though - I was able to motivate myself to clean & recondition the distributor, transmission oil cooler, HP & LP fuel pumps, fuel lines, fittings and brackets and give everything a few good coats of paint. I'd share some pics of the process but honestly I find them a little mundane in comparison to much of the rest of the process.

Then this weekend I forced myself to tackle the wiring 'rats nest' that was the ECM, breakers & harness. I had at one time taken a picture of the mess that I was going to have to eventually deal with but had never downloaded it to the computer. Naturally a couple weeks ago my phone crashed, along with all my contacts & photos before I had a chance to back everything up. So no 'before' photos but trust me, it was a disaster.   I finally finished things up tonight and feel such a load off my shoulders I feel like I have to share the finished product.

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic