Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No Start issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KingofPaint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingofPaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Start issue
    Posted: March-11-2018 at 2:05am
On my 83 SN 2001 I can jump my starter over the solenoid but it wont crank with the key. I just replaced the ignition switch and swapped wire for terminal. With the key in the on position I get juice at the small middle connection but turning the key changes nothing at either of the two small wire connections. Does anyone know the proper way to check my Solenoid?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2018 at 8:52am
Joe,
If you are getting the volts at the coil terminal on the start relay (solenoid), I suggest checking the coil of the start relay. Set your VOM on the Ohm scale and then see if you get resistance between ground and the small terminal. If none, then the coil is open. What voltage did you get at the relay small terminal? if too low, the solenoid won't activate. Why did you change the ignition switch?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2018 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by KingofPaint KingofPaint wrote:

On my 83 SN 2001 I can jump my starter over the solenoid but it wont crank with the key. I just replaced the ignition switch and swapped wire for terminal. With the key in the on position I get juice at the small middle connection but turning the key changes nothing at either of the two small wire connections. Does anyone know the proper way to check my Solenoid?

How are you with wiring diagrams?

It's hard to figure out what you're saying up above about small middle connections and then 2 small wire connections and where they are.

You can follow the diagram and find the flow path to get power to the key switch and then back to the solenoid.

You'll notice that there's a neutral safety switch in that path from the key to the solenoid, so if your shifter isn't in neutral you won't get power to the solenoid or if you have a defective or misadjusted switch you won't get power to the solenoid even with the shifter in neutral.

Are you sure the key switch is wired right?. The connections on it should be labeled "B", "I," and "S"
B   red wire with incoming 12 volts hooks here and always has power
I    purple wire going to coil hooks here and has power in RUN or START
S   yellow/red wire ( might be a white wire) to solenoid goes here and only has power in START and sends power to the solenoid.

Did you jump the solenoid by jumpering across the 2 big terminals "A" and "B" in the diagram or from the "A" terminal to the small "s" terminal? If you did it the second way, then the solenoid is good since you said it would crank. Going across the 2 big terminals just bypasses the solenoid completely.

If you didn't do it the second way, try it that way to test the solenoid or you could check it with an ohmmeter like Pete mentioned earlier

Diagram courtesy of TRBenj

KingofPaint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingofPaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2018 at 5:20pm
Keno!
I did not realize I had a neutral safety switch. Problem solved.
Pete, I changed the switch because my boat had no key.
Things are looking up!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2018 at 8:05pm
Glad it was an easy and cheap fix.

Are you familiar with the single lever throttle control and how it works or in other words do you know what the knob in front of the throttle lever is for?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic