Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Converting to fuel injection

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gtmt2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtmt2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converting to fuel injection
    Posted: March-12-2018 at 2:59pm
I have a 1982 ski nautique 2001 with a 350 ford PCM engine in it. I’m looking to convert it to fuel injection. Does anyone know of any kits and where I can get them?
Thanks
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2018 at 3:01pm
No, its been covered 1000 times and it isn't currently worth your while or money. Nobody make a straight forward kit.

Best plan of action would be to source a GT-40/1.23 trans setup to dump into a boat. Or any newer EFI PCM engine with a 1.23 trans.
gtmt2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtmt2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2018 at 3:05pm
Thank you very much for the information.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2018 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

No, its been covered 1000 times and it isn't currently worth your while or money. Nobody make a straight forward kit.

Best plan of action would be to source a GT-40/1.23 trans setup to dump into a boat. Or any newer EFI PCM engine with a 1.23 trans.

Helluva way to say hi to a new guy

Must be something magical about a 1.23 transmission that you need one of them for a fuel injection conversion huh?

But anyways welcome to CCF.

If you're dead set on fuel injection, do a search on the site here and you'll find one or two who've done it but it was costly and complicated and time consuming and labor intensive

If you decide you want a whole engine, I wouldn't limit a search to just Pleasurecraft either.

And that must be a 351 Ford or a 350 Chevy
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2018 at 3:52pm
My friend Google seems to have found a 351 Marine fuel injection kit

Click on the link and it'll take you there.

You'll have to work thru picking the right size engine and a few more selections after that to come up with a price that doesn't seem to bad depending on how much you want fuel injection.

Some people spend that much on a stereo

I have absolutely no experience with this company but they have a kit to do what you want.

link to fuel injection kit

Good luck looking into this
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2018 at 5:37pm
Probably easier (and cheaper in the long run) to buy a new boat.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2018 at 5:44pm
Are those Coast Guard approved? Why the vacuum can on the distributor? I think the reason Zach recommended the PCM trans is to keep the prop turning the direction CC intended.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2018 at 6:15pm
George,
I'll welcome you to CCfan. Stick with us and do some exploring on the site. I feel you will find it very informative for older Correct Craft owners.

I do need to ask you why do you want to convert to fuel injection? Are you having carb problems? Fill us in.

Also, if you get a chance, post some pictures.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2018 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Are those Coast Guard approved? Why the vacuum can on the distributor? I think the reason Zach recommended the PCM trans is to keep the prop turning the direction CC intended.

Since you can get it with a distributor that lets the timing be controlled by the ECU, I figure that's just a file photo. Or you could get it with a DUI distributor. and they make a marine one. The wording also says some of the components may look different than the photo.

Is something like a DUI distributor USCG approved? Nope, it meets USCG standards but never underwent the USCG approval testing. That's what company lawyers are for

There's a difference between meets the USCG standards and USCG approved

Being TBI I think it would have no problem working on a RR engine, when you consider how TBI functions
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2018 at 8:29pm
Buy a Quick fuel carb and enjoy your boat-if you want to go further get a DUI distributor-save your $$$$$
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2018 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

That's what company lawyers are for

I was on the winning side of one of those once. A life time ago my wife's car developed a transaxle leak. Took it to AAmco,how hard can it be to replace a seal? Went less than 20 miles,the transaxle destroyed itself,they looked at it and tried to pass the buck. Our lawyer said get it out of there and took it to the dealer. To the tune of 8K in todays money we were back on the road. When we went to court they did not want to settle so we went before a judge. My lawyer asked their mechanic how he learned to work on these transaxles , he said watched videos on how to do it. They asked the dealer mechanic,he said took them apart and put them back together at the manufacturer's school for a week. Needless to say the judge sided with me. I suppose with the right lawyer, Coast Guard tested would beat built to Coast Guard standards
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic