Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wildcat-need some help identifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wildcat-need some help identifying
    Posted: March-14-2018 at 11:37am
Looking to know the width overall from tire to tire on a number 3 cc trailer from the late 60s. I can guess that it's over 7ft due to the boats that would go on them but probably narrower than my number 3 trailer on my 87. Nor did I find anything in the search engine, if it's possible somebody can measure for me that'd be awesome, or an educated guess from the trailer gurus
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2018 at 12:00pm
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2018 at 2:25pm
Frankenotter had a lengthy thread going about swapping around trailers to fit in a small garage.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 12:30am
So I updated the thread title and I will add to this one instead of creating more threads on the same boat. Hint-Hint.
Anyways we (Brian) and myself went and picked up a Wildcat I found on Facebook marketplace pretty much, poorly advertised. I recognized it right away as a CC, what I thought from two pictures posted was maybe a Baracuda. Got more pictures from seller, turns out a wildcat. There's no paperwork so in there lies a couple problems. He said he was told its a 71' but we all know how that story goes. We showed up and got all the interior parts (shot) which I did not expect so there's a bonus. It has a Chrysler motor. Valve covers say 300hp, we have done some research and year ranges this motor was available in the wildcat but we can not determine this is a 440? We just picked it up this afternoon so little time with it has been had to dig into it. Brian will post the pictures hopefully soon, last time I tried I was having problems,ugh. Pretty cool boat, overall condition pretty decent all thing considered. Gel coat will clean up pretty nicely we think.
#the lady's whip destiny isnt determined yet maybe a while. To restore or part out due to motor condition and no papers. Exciting either way
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 1:18am
I guess paperwork wise Joel it depends where it was last registered. A number of years ago if it was an Illinois boat there was an easy procedure to acquire them. IDNR was very helpful at the time.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 8:56am
If the gel is recoverable then it shouldn’t be a parts boat... lack of papers can usually be overcome and plenty of engines available to swap in. I think that hull style may have changed in ‘70 or ‘71 (definitely by ‘72), joe may know the transition year as he’s had both (yours is the earlier one with more character). I thought the 426 was rated at 290hp, I know the later 440’s were rated 330hp. The small block LA/LM Chrysler’s had the displacement cast right into the side of the block- not sure about the big blocks. Very cool boat.

That’s a #4 Trailer btw, it’s notably wider than a #3.

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 9:28am
Sweet
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 10:11am
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

. Valve covers say 300hp, we have done some research and year ranges this motor was available in the wildcat but we can not determine this is a 440? We just picked it up this afternoon so little time with it has been had to dig into it.

Could it be the 413???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 10:20am

This is out of the 1968 brochure. It does list the 300HP.
The Chrysler engine manual lists the 300 as a 413D.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 10:24am
300 Hp could have been a hot dual carb 413 setup if earlier, or the base 440 setup if later - the 330 was 440 with a little warmer cam but not much change in compression or carb setup.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 10:33am
I agree with Tim B.......Save the old girl! You will love the drive as much as the ride and so will the rest of the people on your lake! Go Team Mopar.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 11:00am
How about some pics? Definitely worth saving if the gel is good.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 11:17am
I could email them to someone to post. Brian is traveling all day so he said he wouldn't get to it till tonight. Almost positive it won't become a parts boat it was just worst case scenario thought before we picked it up. I'm convinced because the size of the boat and the construction the gel is really thick, or there's just so little Flex in the hull compared to the smaller boats so there is virtually no spider cracking
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 12:52pm
Joel and Brian,
Does this look like the engine? This one looks like it's in a Century. They loved to put lots of HP in small wood hulls!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 1:12pm
Exhaust manifold look very familiar. It's a single card setup
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 1:14pm
Joel, If you want, email me the pics and I will post for you

-larry
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 4:03pm

Tracks from a Hellcat, thought it would go with Wildcat post
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 4:22pm
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 5:04pm
Polish that snot colored beauty and get it to Green Lake !!!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 5:23pm

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Polish that snot colored beauty and get it to Green Lake !!!

Well Brian certainly seemed to have the Wildcat bug pretty hard after a quick ride around in the Fennessy/Pinkham collaboration down in NC so I don’t see this one getting too far away if he is involved. Especially if he got a ride in one that is running right… That's a 440 for sure, 71 seems a big late but possible and certainly I would put it 68+ with that cooling system. I can compare that SN to whats in my garage at some point and we will be closer. What is the status of that engine, known bad or just unknown?    The technology and parts are around to rebuild her for sure, just a question of time and money.   I am going to do my best to get out to GL with a big boat this year- just need to get a few more out there from Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri… and Chicagoland and we can have ourselves a BIG time for sure.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 5:43pm
Joel, it's pretty easy to tell what a Chrysler is. It will say 413-426-440 on the side cast into the block. It will be on the water jacket but signs point towards a 413. Also, the casting date will be right on the side of the block.

Nice score!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 5:55pm
Zach knows his mopars but it is still a 440, and will be stamped on a pad in the front top of the block (hanging out in front of the valley cover on the port side) with the displacement as well as the casting numbers on the side.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 6:12pm
Joe,
Green Lake likes its fat ladies... Hope you can make it. Those big boats in the big waters of GL are a perfect fit..   
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 6:33pm
Thanks Larry.
Good info thank you. Hopefully I'll dig into it soon here and see if the block turns. So the condition of the motor is unknown at this point. Although I spun the shaft when I was tying things down and it moved like it just had an alignment! Steering moves freely and the controls. Only thing that's missing is the bow light, tech, and the pylon. We have the rear seat, motor box and then it has two steel bucket seat frames for the front. There's one spot up on the Bow where somebody probably hit a dock so there's some kind of patch work there, a couple spots along the chine but otherwise it's in pretty good shape. Floor is gone....enough said.
Lots to dig into and investigate
Joe- just out of curiosity did that cover you have come with it? At badin it looked identical to my original 2001 hull cover. We put it on the boat for the time being and it's not very close to right.
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 7:36pm
Thanks for all the replies and posting the pics. This is a very interesting find. Excited to see what shape that motor is in and do a more thorough inspection of the rest of the beast.
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

Joe- just out of curiosity did that cover you have come with it? At badin it looked identical to my original 2001 hull cover. We put it on the boat for the time being and it's not very close to right.

I bought that cover last year from boat covers direct, its not what I could call luxurious up by the bow flair so you have to have it centered just perfect to stay on, but the price was right and they just happened to have a pattern for a 68 Wildcat on the books.   I figure I might have to add a little material to the front sides at some point to make it easier to cover from the dock but I still feel pretty good about it.   They also had cheaper materials available.

Product: Tie-down Kit and Storage Bag
Part #61001
Carver Tie-down and Bag Combo - Promo
Quantity: 1
Price: $0.00

Product: Styled-to-Fit Boat Cover
Part #74100A
Material: 9.25 oz. Sunbrella Acrylic
Color: Royal Blue
Manufacturer: CORRECT CRAFT
Model: WILDCAT
Years: 68
Quantity: 1
Price: $413.74

Subtotal: $413.74
Shipping: $0.00
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
chau8238 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chau8238 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 10:17pm
Nice find, I'd love a big block mopar in my boat.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 10:52pm
Brian- We need you to pull out the card and buy a cover...kidding.
The block is moving freely!!! Had a couple minutes of day light to try and spin it. Found 6 freeze plugs real quick all in the right spots. There's even more hope now.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2018 at 11:08pm
Looks like a great project!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic