NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starter

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter
    Posted: March-15-2018 at 1:04am
Someone tell me how to connect one of the remote 2 clip starter buttons to my 83 351 that I pulled out of boat.
Want to check compression, but not getting any power ..
What I did
+ battery to solenoid +
- battery to nut on block
1 clip on the starter side of solenoid
1 clip to little screw with a S on it
????
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2018 at 7:21am
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

Someone tell me how to connect one of the remote 2 clip starter buttons to my 83 351 that I pulled out of boat.

1 clip on the starter side of solenoid

????

John,
I think this is the problem. You need to feed 12 volts to the solenoid coil so connect the button switch to ether the battery + or the solenoid battery +.terminal Also, make sure the solenoid is grounded.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2018 at 7:22am
Gotit
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2018 at 8:06am

Anyone??

Just Pete

Do what he said and it should work

I hope you weren't up all night sitting by the computer holding your breath waiting for an answer

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2018 at 9:50am

I hope you weren't up all night sitting by the computer holding your breath waiting for an answer

[/QUOTE]

No, had to get up at 4 turn water on my garden for the freeze we didn't have..LOL
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2018 at 9:56am
This should help. Second illustration shows whats going on inside.

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2018 at 8:09pm
With Duane's picture above, hook the switch between the 12v in from battery terminal (big lug) and the 12v from the key terminal. That would be the "s" terminal.

Then.............push the button
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2018 at 9:51pm
Taking starter out to have checked as it wouldn't do anything hook straight to battery. I t looks pretty bad so might as well get it checked.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2018 at 8:53am

Taking starter out to have checked as it wouldn't do anything hook straight to battery. I t looks pretty bad so might as well get it checked.

John,
Where will you be taking the starter? Hopefully an "auto electric" shop that repairs them and not the auto supply that simply tests them and then sells you a new one!!! The typical repair involves cleaning up the commutator, brushes and bushings. Also, if new is needed say due to an open in the armature, be aware of the rotation with you RR engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2018 at 9:42am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Where will you be taking the starter? Hopefully an "auto electric" shop that repairs them and not the auto supply that simply tests them and then sells you a new one!!! The typical repair involves cleaning up the commutator, brushes and bushings. Also, if new is needed say due to an open in the armature, be aware of the rotation with you RR engine.

Roger that,
I worked at a "parts house" last place I would go. Actually the guy I'm taking to it is a CC SN owner and knows all about the marine starters.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2018 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

With Duane's picture above, hook the switch between the 12v in from battery terminal (big lug) and the 12v from the key terminal. That would be the "s" terminal.

Then.............push the button

Got starter back (did fine at shop), hooked up as above only get a click in the solenoid. I guess this bad now???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2018 at 2:57pm

Got starter back (did fine at shop), hooked up as above only get a click in the solenoid. I guess this bad now???

John,
If it worked at the shop, it should work on the engine. What did they find? Did they open it up? Commutator cleaned up? New brushes? I think you had better get the VOM out and see if the starter is getting the volts. Yes, the start relay clicks but are the contacts getting the volts through the relay??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2018 at 5:19pm

John,
If it worked at the shop, it should work on the engine. What did they find? Did they open it up? Commutator cleaned up? New brushes? I think you had better get the VOM out and see if the starter is getting the volts. Yes, the start relay clicks but are the contacts getting the volts through the relay??

Yes he tore apart replaced brushes, did some sand blasting as it was rusted up pretty bad inside. How would I use the meter to check .
I think best thing just get a new solenoid. Still looks like boat sunk.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2018 at 5:31pm
John,
You want to check for 12 volts going into the relay and then out to the starter. Ground your black probe on the VOM, use the red to confirm the 12 at the big stud where the cable from the battery is connected, press the remote started button to energize the relay coil and then with the red probe again check for 12 at the big stud that the cable to the starter is connected to.

When checking for voltage, you should also note the voltage drop across the relay. If there's any drop, then the contacts in the relay are bad.

Do you have a good ground to the starter via the engine block?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2018 at 6:11pm
It might be the ground as I had to hold it to block with a pair of vice grips. Going back to do some more work on boat will check the voltage and maybe use my jumper cables to connect to motor.
thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2018 at 7:11pm

It might be the ground as I had to hold it to block with a pair of vice grips. maybe use my jumper cables to connect to motor.
thanks

John,
To run the compression check on your engine, you want it to crank decently with the starter. To do that, you want to get decent voltage and amps to the starter. I recommend cleaning up all your electric connections to and from the starter including the area where the starter is grounded to the block. Any resistance caused by bad connections will lower the volts to the starter so it will not perform like it should. Jumper cables are also not the greatest due to the relatively small area of the clamp teeth the current needs to get through.

Also, what's the condition of the battery you're using?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2018 at 10:45pm

New
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2018 at 9:41am
Since Ford had different starters and solenoids (which had different wiring schemes) as time went on, how about a picture of your starter and another of the solenoid, so it's known what you're dealing with? Maybe yours was replaced at some time in the past

On a different note, did you ever figure out how to look at the pictures that were affected by Photobucket?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2018 at 9:58am

New

"New" does not necessarily mean that it's good. Check it also.   Leading me to believe that either the ground is bad or the cables are faulty.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2018 at 10:34am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Since Ford had different starters and solenoids (which had different wiring schemes) as time went on, how about a picture of your starter and another of the solenoid, so it's known what you're dealing with? Maybe yours was replaced at some time in the past

Soon as the rain quits will get some..

On a different note, did you ever figure out how to look at the pictures that were affected by Photobucket?

Nope
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2018 at 9:38pm
Update
Replaced solenoid and cleaned cables connections and all is good,works fine..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2018 at 9:46pm

John,
When checking for voltage, you should also note the voltage drop across the relay. If there's any drop, then the contacts in the relay are bad.

Update

Did you check the relay first? What was the problem? Relay or cable connections?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2018 at 10:18pm
Well between me and my neighbor trying to check voltage stuff, I decided to just get a new solenoid $12 and it even lines up correctly with the holes in that bracket on back on motor. The one on it had only 1 bolt and looked like it has been there or somewhere else for a spell.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2018 at 12:07am

John,

Update

Did you check the relay first? What was the problem? Relay or cable connections?

So in other words Pete I don't think John cares what it was, He fixed the problem

Maybe you should say something like "Good job John", but don't bother, I just said it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2018 at 9:17am
John,
Now you can move on and do that compression check. I know you'll post the results.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2018 at 9:19am
Roger that
What kind of oil do I put in the cylinders to check compression?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2018 at 9:54am

Roger that

John,
For 40 years, I've always had a quart of Marvel Mystery oil in the cabinet. Great stuff that's been around for many years. I even use it mixed 50% with 30 weight to fog (lay up) engines.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2018 at 10:03am

Roger that

You should start by doing some reading about performing a compression check. Plenty of how to's out there.

Ideally you'd be doing this on a warm engine, (that won't be your case)

Doing it cold will give different results but at least you can compare numbers between cylinders for consistency

You don't use any oil when doing the initial testing, you'd only use oil in a cylinder if it's low on compression to see if it raises the compression in that cylinder.

Other things to remember............throttle and choke fully open and ignition disabled.

In your case maybe the carburetor is removed, that's OK.

For the ignition just take away power to the coil

Like I mentioned earlier do some reading first

And it would be regular engine oil if you need to use some.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2018 at 10:07am

Roger that

Use anything you have handy. Spray oil works fine. Use sparingly.
I don't put much faith in a compression test. I personally use a leak down meter. But that's another whole conversation we have had on this site.

edit:   (I don't type fast enough)   Use Ken's method,
        1978 Mustang (modified)
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2018 at 10:35am
Thanks all,
I will wait till this afternoon should be in the 80's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic