NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Boat & Hose Clamp Tool

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Boat & Hose Clamp Tool
    Posted: March-17-2018 at 2:52pm
Hey Fellas, it's been a while since posting on CCF, but I continue to monitor the site.

Got myself a second boat last summer. The Nautique will remain in fresh water in MA. My new toy is a pre-owned Wellcraft 23' bow rider with Mercruiser 5.7. Was a lake boat in New Hampshire. Will now be my ocean rig. My new house is about 30 yards from the ocean. It's like being on vacation all the time.

Getting a fresh water system installed next month. Learning all about the work involved with first time coats of bottom paint. Will be moored at a marina by my home, so trying to get it salt ready! Bust Out Another Thousand..and then some.

Random question, does anyone know what tool to use to crimp the clamp on the little fuel hose inside the FCC on a '99 GT-40? Ken

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2018 at 3:06pm
You might look up 'oediker' clamps.

They take a special crimper, I was able to rent one at ace hdw store.

Have fun with the new toy
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
skwatr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skwatr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2018 at 4:20pm
Clean Welcraft!   

Thanks for the name drop poopah. Its a tool i dont have. dont need it but want it now.

Link for tool kit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037QFNJW/ref=asc_df_B0037QFNJW5406825/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0037QFNJW&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198070022856&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8072349949960310730&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012292&hvtargid=pla-382428556027
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2018 at 4:55pm
Thanks for the quick response, gents. Seems like there's a tool for every little project. This one had me boggled. Not a hose I'd want coming loose either.

I've always liked Wellcraft since watching Miami Vice. Rock solid boat. It takes rollers like a champ fully trimmed out. Ken

Canuck-Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2022 at 6:31pm
I’m replacing my HP pump right now. Is there any reason I can’t use a stainless hose clamp instead of this crimp clamp?
1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2022 at 9:14pm
NO  Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2022 at 10:23pm
So I bought a 1/2” crimp ring from Hone Depot tonight. Just use my side cutters carefully to crimp it?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2022 at 6:43am
If you're gonna use an Oetiker clamp or maybe what you got from Home Depot was called a pex or poly hose clamp hose clamp, (pretty much the same thing different name), you really should use the right tool.........or just use the hose clamp you asked about.

The basic 12 to 15 dollar or so tool works fine and evenly tightens the clamp.

I can't really see a pair of side cutters doing a good job since they'll crimp it at an angle.

If you can't find one, go back to Home Depot and look at a ceramic tile nipper like the one in the link as a better alternative than side cutters.

link to tile nipper or see if they have the pinch clamp tool in this  link

Here's a link to a bunch of Oetiker clamp tools from various places. 

The nipper works  as good as the cheap manual tool and if it's in stock, you're all set.

Hope you bought a small bag of the clamps so you can practice or make a mistake or 2   Wink

Or...........use the stainless hose clamp you mentioned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2022 at 9:05am
Thanks man! The crimp tool at Home Depot up here in Canada was $99! It was a fancy one though.

I do have a pair of tile nippers though. Should I wrap the nipper blade with tape or is it safe to not cut through? And yes…I bought a bag of 10.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2022 at 9:16am
I'd use the nippers as is (no tape or anything)and practice on something first to make sure you can get the clamp tight.

You might need to grind down the nubs on the inside of the handles a little, if you want them to close tighter depending on the nippers you have.

Some of the Oetiker clamp tools close all the way, some leave a gap like the nippers, so give it a whirl and see how they work.

My nippers work as good as the real tool  Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic