Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bent Strut

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bent Strut
    Posted: March-22-2018 at 3:15pm
My web of my strut is bent laterally to starboard and the prop shop said they will try and straighten it out. Does anyone have the critical dimensions that I am shooting for? I know I have seen Pete say that the edges of the base flange and/or holes are not precise. Also, I have the prop off, will I be able to slide the strut to the aft with the shaft in it or will the threads/cutlass bearing interfere?   '76 Martinique
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2018 at 4:32pm
You will have to re align the engine either way.   
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2018 at 5:41pm
Just center the bore to the mounting holes. That is the design intention.    I wouldn't trust the perimeter of the casting at all.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2018 at 5:49pm
Thanks you, that was what I wanted to confirm. I am aware I will have to realign the engine but that is far far away from where I am at today.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2018 at 9:36pm
Cole,
Yes, don't worry about aligning the engine at this point. See how close the shop can straighten the strut but understand when you get it back some elongation of mounting holes in the hull may be needed. The key is to get the strut aligned so the shaft is happy (turns freely) and is pretty close to the center of the log.

Also, you should be able to remove the strut with the shaft in IF you can get its base loose from the hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2018 at 2:20pm
To remove the strut I purchased some wooden door shims.
A pack of 20 or so is about $3 at Lowes.
The door shims are thin at the point, take one and tap it in between the hull and the strut.
The wood is soft so it did not damage my hull.
As soon as I got one shim started I added a second then a third and fourth.
Tapping them in a little at a time in unison spread the load and had mine off in a few minutes.
Then I used my gasket scraper to remove most of the old glue. That stuff is very tough and hard..
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2018 at 5:07pm
My strut was recessed and it dropped as soon as I pushed the bolts through the hull. I had previously separated the coupling and log hose and was able to cock the shaft far enough to slide the strut off with the rudder in place. Not sure if the geometry of my boat is unique to allow me to do this, as I have seen others post that shaft removal is/was required in order for them to change the Cutlass. Are there less permanent alternatives to the 5200 that will allow for easier disassembly while still maintaining an acceptable flexible seal? Marine RTV? I can’t imagine the hydraulic pressure being that high, especially with the base being recessed into the hull.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2018 at 5:37pm
3M4200 is good to use to bed the strut.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2018 at 5:55am
Your strut was not installed like a factory strut if it fell off., or the hit was so hard it broke the bond.
Mine was factory, only had 100 hours on it at the time but had been damaged by the previous owner hitting something.
I put it back on with 3M 5200 and I would not be afraid to use it again.   The shims take it right off if needed.

If you read on here you will find people that remove props that fall right off as the nut is removed. That makes them wrong not easy.
Lap them in correctly and they will not fall off without a puller.
Same for your strut.
I figure if the factory decided they need to be in place and firm I would follow that lead.
The 4 bolts without a good bond from the 3M might allow movement over time that comes back to haunt you.
Test fit multiple times to be sure it will be aligned before gluing. I had to install some washers as spacers between the hull and the strut to get in proper alignment. I bought several spacers, used my Mic to measure them and a sharpie to write the size on each washer.   Then stacked them as necessary to get my prop shaft aligned. Make alignment marks to prepare for this install and make sure your marks will not be covered by the adhesive as you install.   I would not say any part of this install is hard, just takes time to make sure it is correct. If memory serves me Acetone helped clean up my tools and fiberglass after the install. I cleaned up right away.   I used one of the door shims to bed the 5200 in place prior to install and threw it away as soon as I finished. For a low cost tool it did the job.
Mark
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2018 at 10:10am
Originally posted by wiscofoot wiscofoot wrote:

I have seen others post that shaft removal is/was required in order for them to change the Cutlass. .

Cole,
Removing the shaft and not the strut to replace the cutlass is a method that doesn't require re aligning the strut. I'd have to say it's the more method.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic